HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 12:04 AM

Totes bummer. I wonder if they've struck a deal to complete the whole facade. Otherwise, it'll look awfully weird.

Re property shape

I'm not sure there's enough space at the n-w corner of York and James to develop. As you've stated, it's a weird shape.

Again, the awkward shape of this intersection is thanks to the city plowing York through to link up with Wilson. In the past, both streets dead-ended at James.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 12:31 AM

Would be nice to eventually see 107 (Mex-I-Can) grow a couple of storeys and firm up the streetwall.

You see a similar drop-out at 201 (Gate of India). Seems a missed opportunity.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 1:15 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

I would want to keep that parkette, but do something with that blank wall, maybe open up the ground flour with a continous store front and add some windows above.

That or take the cheap route and just put a nice mural up.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 3:10 AM

What happened to the windows on the 2nd floor, above the "Ca$h for you" sign?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 1:01 PM

^Absolutely dreadful, innit?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 7:25 AM
Ham-burgher

Yep.

Yep yep yep yep yep...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 7:46 PM

I peeked in yesterday and they are taking all the bricks out of the front wall. It looks like they're completely rebuilding the facade.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 8:42 PM

Strange that what is being touted as a restoration would see the bricks removed. Are they restoring the original brickwork, or replacing the facade with a replica?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 11:48 PM

I believe they are removing and rebuilding the original facade

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 12:33 AM

There appears to be some subsidence in the building and you could also see that some of the mortar had fallen out/ disintegrated.

So exciting to see that work begin. It will, however, look really weird with the southern extent of the building left untouched. Perhaps the other owners will be so mortified by the contrast that they will be more apt to act. Perhaps...

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
There appears to be some subsidence in the building and you could also see that some of the mortar had fallen out/ disintegrated.

So exciting to see that work begin. It will, however, look really weird with the southern extent of the building left untouched. Perhaps the other owners will be so mortified by the contrast that they will be more apt to act. Perhaps...
I get the feeling a lot of the owners along that stretch live elsewhere, and haven't been to Hamilton in years...

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
I get the feeling a lot of the owners along that stretch live elsewhere, and haven't been to Hamilton in years...
Or they technically live in Hamilton but haven't been downtown in years

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
Strange that what is being touted as a restoration would see the bricks removed. Are they restoring the original brickwork, or replacing the facade with a replica?
They are planning to restore the facade. From what it looked like before it was way beyond repointing and adding a few bricks. The whole thing was crooked. I expect they will replace most of the original bricks with new matching ones where needed.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Or they technically live in Hamilton but haven't been downtown in years
I meet people all the time who say the very same thing - never ceases to amaze me. It seems like the kind of thing someone from Sterling Heights might say about Detroit. Such a shame.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 3:39 AM
Ham-burgher

Residents worry new GO station will destroy quirky neighbourhood
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/44...ation-worries/

At least one building owner is worried the new $44-million GO station on James Street North is being built to change her way of life.

Lori James, whose building on James Street North is occupied by a Mennonite thrift shop, is concerned all the talk of residential and business development around the station does not bode well for her.

Her building was listed within "Opportunity Site 3" at a public meeting Tuesday night on the James Street North Mobility Hub, which takes in the area within an 800-metre radius of the new station, or about a 10-minute walk. This was news to her until she walked in and saw it on a board at Liuna Station.

"(They're) not going to maintain the existing neighbourhood," James said. "I don't like being someone's prey. It feels like you are in a Communist country."

Ruth Kaulback, who lives on MacNab Street North and works at the thrift shop, was of two minds with the arrival of the station. She called having the station help build up James Street North "very exciting," but had "deep concerns" about the "increased gentrification" of the neighbourhood and "huge concerns" about the impact on traffic.

"I'm concerned about all of this development not being balanced and it turning into a mini-Toronto," Kaulback said. "We have a lot of incredible things, independent businesses, quirky things, and I'm scared we will lose that. Part of the beauty is the mix of neighbours."

The Mobility Hub study is a review and analysis of the impacts of the GO station on the surrounding neighbourhood and related municipal policy. About 75 people attended the meeting, the second public information centre held on the hub.

Anne McIlroy, a consultant hired by the city to prepare the study, said the hub plan will not prevent current businesses from continuing to operate, but "will create more business for people. More people will live around the station."

She said, however, business owners may decide to retire one day and that may open a new opportunity for a building.

Residents have asked for the hub to have more and better green spaces, be a destination for shopping, eating and art view and have better signage. They've also asked for it to be sensitive to the neighbourhood's history and culture, boost economic development, improve the pedestrian experience and avoid "gentrification."

dnolan@thespec.com

905-526-3351 | @dandundas

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 1:22 PM

^ the Spec should be ashamed for printing that. Brutal piece from a brutal newspaper.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 1:38 PM

That article is so ridiculous. Communist Hamilton, hilarious. I think it would be great if the area turned into a mini-Toronto, although I'm pretty certain that's not going to happen.

If James North becomes too gentrified, there is still all of King East, the Delta, Kenilworth, Concession, and the entire length of Barton that are all underutilized and ripe for quirky independent shops to move in.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 2:52 PM

I am no fan of the Spec, but let's not shoot the messenger. They were, after all, reporting what was discussed at the meeting. Was anyone at the meeting who can share what, if anything else, was discussed by those in attendance? Being a commuter myself, I would have loved to attend. Unfortunately, it was scheduled for a time when I (and many of the commuters directly impacted by the new station) were actually finishing their commute, thus unable to attend.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 4:00 PM

I wasn't at the meeting but I was at the last one. Most were supportive of the new GO station. I don't see it ruining anyone's way of life. After all, there was a train station in the neighbourhood until 1996.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 4:49 PM

I don't know how this wasn't reported in the media but last week a taxi drove into Haji Grocery which is between B&T and Mex-I-Can. There are questions about the structural integrity since the facade contained steel beams between the panes of glass. Fortunately the employee inside escaped with minor injuries and is out of hospital, but the outcome might have been worse if there wasn't structural steel in the window.

This building is part of the cluster recently bought by a 10 member partnership including the owners of Sonic Unyon. The owners of the grocery are out of work due to the need for an engineer's assessment. They are looking into other retail spaces in the area as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues