HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
yeah thats why its confusing - people always say Real Canadian superstore is out west and loblaws is out east - but than i was reading RCC wants to crack the ontario market and i was like

they often mention it on city line - they will say you can get these at loblaws in toronto or in the west at RCC

who owns what?
Loblaws is rebranding Loblaws as RCSS. They do it also as a way to cut down on Union Employment.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 5:21 AM

ah - yes the union is pretty crappy at RSS - i used to work there - the most hours you can get is like 20 a week - its pretty crappy casue the hours can change so having a second job is hard to do - they only ever offer part time

and it was like 4 hour shifts when i worked there - i think i worked 8 once or twice but that was rare

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 7:04 AM
菠蘿油

loblaws owns:

loblaws, real canadian superstore, atlantic superstore, maxi, provigo, supervalu and no frills... and close to a dozen other supermarket chains.

metro owns:

metro, super c, loeb, a&p, dominion, food basics and marché richelieu.

sobeys owns:

sobeys, IGA and price choppers.

... and there you have a corporate map of the grocery trade in canada.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 12:38 PM
Progressive Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycanuck View Post
Loblaws and RCS are not the same, any more than are Loblaws and No Frills the same. They're owned by the same company but are very different sorts of stores.
Loblaws and RCS are a lot more alike then Loblaws and No Frills. RCS is like a cross between Loblaws and No Frills. RCS has the barebones decor of No Frills while having a similiar (but slightly expanded) product line to Loblaws.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 12:40 PM
Progressive Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post

metro owns:

metro, super c, loeb, a&p, dominion (except in Newfoundland where it's owned by Loblaws), food basics and marché richelieu.

Clarified something in your post.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 3:37 PM
Nashwaaksissy

And a further clarification comment: A handful of Atlantic Superstores have the RCSS concept, but most of them are just Loblaws with a different name.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 4:49 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Kilgore, do you not include Safeway because the brand is in the US? Safeways in Canada are Canadian-Owned just as A&P in Canada (A&P is, or was, a major American chain) is.

I might add that Safeways have improved by leaps and bounds since I moved to Calgary in '00- starting with excellent bakery... now Starbucks in every store (almost) and really REALLY good sandwiches at the deli. It's not up to the standards of my old Loblaw's at Dupont and Christie in TO, but it makes living in Western Canada more bearable (grocery-wise).

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 4:50 PM
Vorsprung Durch Technik

Bed Bath & Beyond eyeing Canadian market again

MARINA STRAUSS

Globe and Mail Update

April 23, 2007 at 9:15 PM EST

The heated home fashions market is about to get even more crowded as Bed Bath & Beyond Inc., the largest chain in the U.S. sector, scouts for store locations in Canada, industry sources say.

The retailer, known for its large selection of merchandise, stylish offerings and chic store layouts, has had a strong track record in its home territory and is sure to provide stiff competition for existing purveyors of home furnishings, Wendy Evans at Evans & Co. Consultants Inc. said Monday.

“It will be felt quite significantly in this market,” she said.

The chain responds well to trends, continually stocking new products in its 816 stores. And it moves fast, she added.

More generally, “it will add new products to their stores that this market has never seen,” she said. And while the merchandise is mid-priced, its attractive displays give it an aura of luxury goods.

Kenneth Frankel, director of investor relations for Bed Bath & Beyond in Union, N.J., would not confirm its interest in Canada. “We're always looking,” he added. “We look domestically and wherever. Obviously we're continuing to grow.”

Still, the Canadian market is getting crowded. Earlier this month, Crate and Barrel, another leading U.S.-based home goods merchant, confirmed that it will open its first store here in Toronto's Yorkdale Shopping Centre in the fall of 2008.

Hudson's Bay Co. launched its own Home Outfitters chain in 1999, modelled largely on Bed Bath & Beyond. Now industry insiders are predicting that Bed Bath & Beyond will eventually scoop up Home Outfitters. But Jerry Zucker, the new owner of HBC, wants to keep the home goods chain as part of the larger company, rather than break it up, spokeswoman Hillary Marshall said. The 59-store Home Outfitters “is not for sale.”

Sources said Monday that Bed Bath & Beyond officials are holding talks with Canadian real estate brokers about finding locations in Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa and Calgary, a source said. They are looking for stores that are between 20,000 and 50,000 square feet in a select number of power centres, the sources said. The biggest outlet would be roughly the size of a Best Buy electronics store.

The home furnishings segment has been one of the hottest in Canadian retailing, growing at a rate of 10 per cent annually over each of the past few years, Ms. Evans said.

The domestic sector has not felt the crunch that its U.S. counterparts are experiencing because of the tougher housing market south of the border, she said. Canadian retailers are still enjoying gains.

It isn't the first time that Bed Bath & Beyond has looked seriously at the Canadian market. Almost a decade ago, it was slated to become one of the big draws at the then yet-to-be-built Vaughan Mills shopping centre, north of Toronto. A U.S.-style shopping and entertainment mega-mall, it opened in late 2004 – the first enclosed regional mall to be built in this country in more than 14 years.

Ms. Evans, who acted as a consultant during the mall's planning, said Bed Bath & Beyond hadn't exhausted its growth opportunities in the United States at the time.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 10:49 PM

ooh bed bath and beyond - i have to say i prefer linens n things to bbb

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 3:05 AM
I'm the bear on the right

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycanuck View Post
Safeways in Canada are Canadian-Owned just as A&P in Canada (A&P is, or was, a major American chain) is.

I might add that Safeways have improved by leaps and bounds since I moved to Calgary in '00- starting with excellent bakery... now Starbucks in every store (almost) and really REALLY good sandwiches at the deli. It's not up to the standards of my old Loblaw's at Dupont and Christie in TO, but it makes living in Western Canada more bearable (grocery-wise).
Canada Safeway Ltd. is a subsidiary of Safeway Inc. It's 100% US-owned.

As for Superstore in the East, I was in Ottawa (Kanata) a couple of weeks ago and there was a new Superstore identical to the ones in the West as well as a Loblaw's. However, by the end of my stay, I went to Sobey's. If there was one close to where I live in Calgary, I'd shop there. But Safeway will do.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srperrycgy View Post
Canada Safeway Ltd. is a subsidiary of Safeway Inc. It's 100% US-owned.

As for Superstore in the East, I was in Ottawa (Kanata) a couple of weeks ago and there was a new Superstore identical to the ones in the West as well as a Loblaw's. However, by the end of my stay, I went to Sobey's. If there was one close to where I live in Calgary, I'd shop there. But Safeway will do.
Well here's all the Sobey's in Calgary:

http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&cli...,0.933838&om=1

Unless you live right smack in the middle of town I don't see how you could be that far from one.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 3:14 AM

sobeys in the west is Called IGA - the newer IGA's are pretty good - but the older ones aren't so good and they are too pricey for most things

they have Safeway in the UK too

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 3:23 AM
I'm the bear on the right

Just IGA's in BC. The remainder (except for a small few) were re-branded to Sobey's a couple years ago.

As for closeness, The Sobey's in Strathcona is not convenient as I do not own a vehicle. Safeway at Westbrook Mall or Glamorgan are closer.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 3:30 AM

Pretty much all the corporate owned IGA's have been, or will be, turned into Sobeys in the west and all new stores are Sobeys. The IGA brand is pretty scarce (we have one of the few private owned ones in Cochrane, but its a tiny dump, under 20k sq feet compared to the 50k sq foot Safeways and Extra Foods). Even in Calgary there are only a handful of IGA's left compared to the dozens of Safeways, COOP's, Superstores and Sobeys.

Safeway in the UK is a completely separate company, has nothing shared except the name after the entire branch of the company was sold off in the 80's.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 4:19 AM
Vorsprung Durch Technik

There was a couple of Sobey's in Quebec, but they didnt lasted long, they were all rebranded IGA Extra

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 4:31 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

All this talk about grocery stores is making me hungry.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 4:54 AM

how about save-on-foods - are they still only in BC and Alberta?

I remember the first one outside of BC opened in Edmonton

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
how about save-on-foods - are they still only in BC and Alberta?

I remember the first one outside of BC opened in Edmonton
In BC the real battle is Save-On vs. Overwaitea. Safeway and Superstore are on the outside looking in, ditto IGA.

You better be a real OG in BC if you're pro Save-On or pro-Overwaitea.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 5:06 AM

The battle between Overwaitea and Save-On is the same as Future shop and Best Buy... same company, different store name with the same house brands and virtually identical product selection (at least in the few of Save-on's and Overwaitea's I've been in)

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 5:07 AM
Architecture enthusiast

"Overwaitea" always struck me as the strangest name for a food store. Buy too much junk food and you will become overwaitea.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada