HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 12:35 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Planning committee decides Ottawa is a 65-storey city

Jon Willing
Updated: July 10, 2018

Ottawa is a 65-storey city, no matter what a community plan says.

That’s the view of the majority of planning committee members who voted Tuesday to recommend allowing a giant three-tower complex at 900 Albert St., near the Bayview O-Train station.

Councillors Jan Harder, Tim Tierney, Stephen Blais, Rick Chiarelli, Jean Cloutier, Allan Hubley and Shad Qadri voted in favour of planning amendments that would allow the development, while Jeff Leiper and Tobi Nussbaum opposed. Council will cast the final vote Wednesday.

TIP Albert GP (Trinity Developments, InterRent Real Estate Investment Trust and PBC Real Estate Advisors) proposes to build towers of 65, 56 and 27 storeys, soaring above commercial and office spaces. There would be 1,241 residential units, which the city expects would generate a massive transit ridership for the Confederation Line and Trillium Line.

The 65-storey and 56-storey towers would be the tallest buildings in Ottawa.

B+H Architects and GGLO Design are the architects on the project.

The city’s Bayview station secondary plan allows a maximum of 30 storeys on the property, but the official plan calls for buildings taller than 30 storeys to be within 200 metres of transit stations in mixed-use centres. A prime candidate for the official plan direction would be 900 Albert St.

Nussbaum said the city did a great job at creating a community plan for this area, but failed at “expectation management.”

Public delegates chastised the proposal for its proposed height, design and size of onsite parking.

Resident Catherine Boucher accused the city of lying to the community, which worked to develop a 30-storey vision for the property through the creation of the secondary plan.

Boucher said the community is also concerned about the appearance of the south side of the building, which faces the existing residential community next to the City Centre complex.

“The south face of this building is mooning us,” Boucher said of the design.

City planner Simon Deiaco pointed out that the south end will be bordered by a path linking with the east O-Train path and there would be amenity space at the back of the buildings. Large trucks would pull into the complex to load or drop off goods.

Eric Darwin, representing the Dalhousie Community Association, criticized the proposed Albert Street side of the complex for having a lack of commercial frontages. The commercial offerings would instead largely face into the complex, he said.

“The project isn’t ready for primetime,” Darwin said.

The developer would pay the city $975,000 for the added height, which is permitted under provincial planning law. The money would help pay for a pedestrian bridge over the Trillium Line south of Tom Brown Arena ($450,000 toward the project) and more affordable housing in the downtown area (a $525,000 contribution).

However, the Federation of Citizens’ Associations of Ottawa thinks the city is getting shortchanged on the pay-for-height scheme. The organization, which is the umbrella group for all community associations, says the money is “paltry” compared to the size of the towers the developer wants to build beyond the current zoning.

Somerset Coun. Catherine McKenney said a pedestrian bridge would cost at least $15 million, so she’ll ask council to spend $450,000 on a park and community garden fund instead.

McKenney is worried that only one tower, or less, will be built over 20 years, but a six-level parking garage with 1,059 parking spaces would be built for the full complex.

The councillor is also concerned about the south side of the complex creating a wall for the neighbouring community.

“That south side, I’m telling you, will never give us the opportunity to meet our neighbours,” McKenney said.

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...65-storey-city

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 3:43 PM
National Capital Region

Approved 16-5

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Approved 16-5
Amazing. I can't believe this city is getting a 65 storey tower. It will be taller than anything in Montreal.

When might construction begin on this project?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 4:31 PM

Trinity is basically ready to go. They were just waiting on approval since the site already has equipment on it. Digging should start very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daud View Post
Amazing. I can't believe this city is getting a 65 storey tower. It will be taller than anything in Montreal.

When might construction begin on this project?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 4:33 PM

Woa...just when we thought the Icon, Italia and the Sky were big news...Trinity takes the cake...

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis137 View Post
Woa...just when we thought the Icon, Italia and the Sky were big news...Trinity takes the cake...
Isn't the Sky dead, though?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 5:05 PM

Crazy.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 5:07 PM

Am I the only one who thinks this is a terrible decision?

Why are we building these massive towers surrounded by green and brown fields that will suffocate their redevelopment for years to come? Those 1400 units would look much better as a dozen human-scale 8-10 floor buildings. Now we are stuck with another decade or so of partially undeveloped Lebreton and Zibi brownfields that will inevitably be slowed down after this decision.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post

Why are we building these massive towers surrounded by green and brown fields that will suffocate their redevelopment for years to come? Those 1400 units would look much better as a dozen human-scale 8-10 floor buildings. Now we are stuck with another decade or so of partially undeveloped Lebreton and Zibi brownfields that will inevitably be slowed down after this decision.
Much more efficient footprint and water/sewer system.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Well... on this (skyscraper) forum I would suspect you're definitely in the minority.

Quote:
I doubt the economics of the site would be compatible with 8 story buildings....

And are you suggesting all of Lebreton be built 8-10 floors to fill it in faster? rather than taller and sexier.. but take longer to fill in?

I know!! Lets compromise and make the entire Lebreton area 27 stories!!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 5:42 PM

So.... who's gonna start the thread for this in the Skyscraper & Highrise Construction section?

Really excited about this proposal. Along with the Lebreton development and Zibi, these three developments are going to completely transform that part of the city(and the city itself).

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 6:17 PM

Quote:

There is definitely an argument for 6-10 story buildings in the neighbourhoods surrounding the urban core. But this site is unique, being at Bayview station, where more density is clearly warranted. It's also surrounded by rail and major roads, so it will always be a bit of an island.

I don't believe that this will necessarily slow down other development. A major development like this will include and attract amenities that will in turn attract other development. I see this as more likely to kickstart development in the area.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 7:31 PM

Quote:

Yes you are the only one. A cluster of 8-10 floor buildings at the nexus of two light rail lines is simply asinine. Look at the original plan for Place de Governeurs off Cyrville.. That's what you want at the new centre of our city? Look at the cold canyons of Westboro. Clusters of new 8-10 story buildings are not 'Human scale', they are scars on the landscape. The only places where that height works is in older neighbourhoods where the development happened organically. For new development taller buildings with setbacks and ground level mixed use is far more appealing and sensible. I'm so glad they didn't botch this one. Ottawa is finally looking up!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Yes you are the only one. A cluster of 8-10 floor buildings at the nexus of two light rail lines is simply asinine. Look at the original plan for Place de Governeurs off Cyrville.. That's what you want at the new centre of our city? Look at the cold canyons of Westboro. Clusters of new 8-10 story buildings are not 'Human scale', they are scars on the landscape. The only places where that height works is in older neighbourhoods where the development happened organically. For new development taller buildings with setbacks and ground level mixed use is far more appealing and sensible. I'm so glad they didn't botch this one. Ottawa is finally looking up!
No, that's not what I meant. I meant stick to the original plan of 30-floor mixed-use complex on top of Bayview so that remaining 1000 residential units can be built on the surrounding brownfields sooner rather than later.
You just can't inject 1000 new units into Bayview and expect surrounding residential developments to proceed as planned.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 8:06 PM

You already have that.. It's called Zibi. Trinity is building Rentals which are very needed and it will hardly affect other developments like Claridge and Zibi.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
You already have that.. It's called Zibi. Trinity is building Rentals which are very needed and it will hardly affect other developments like Claridge and Zibi.
In 3 years they couldn't even sell 130 units in their two 6-floor buildings. With 1000 extra units within walking distance it will only get worse.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 8:32 PM

Quote:
In 3 years they couldn't even sell 130 units in their two 6-floor buildings. With 1000 extra units within walking distance it will only get worse.
Rental market =/= buyers market

Saying this from my own experience, there definitely is a lack of rental properties in this city.

It's much easier to rent out those 1000 units than to sell even a quarter of that.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 8:49 PM

Fantastic news, this is a huge deal. That area is going to be unrecognizable in a few years and give the city a huge shot in the arm.

Really excited about this and can't wait for shovels to start digging.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 9:17 PM

I wonder if this or any other development in Lebreton/Bayview will include a movie theatre.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 9:45 PM

I've been listening to Catherine Mckenney whine about her precious four year old Community Design Plan that limited height at Bayview to 30 stories all day on CBC. Someone explain to me why the low rise and single family home residents of Hintonburg should dictate the use of remediated land at the meeting of two light rail lines that isn't even a part of their community other than being somewhat adjacent? Simply because they are in the same ward? Why does she (and the residents) think the buck stops with them? This is so much bigger than a neighbourhood development. This is a major piece of city building and I'm glad to see that councillors from across the city appreciate that and voted for it. /rant

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa