HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
Atlanta is in some ways the Los Angeles of the East Coast. Both are basically the anchors on each end of the southern half of the country. They also have a similar culture-relationship with the respective corners of the country they're in, making them a little different from their respective-coast peers.
With all due respect, LA is nothing like Atlanta.

The city on the east coast that most resembles LA, mainly in culture and lifestyle, would be Miami.

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
i r4eally dont find LAX that hard to navigate nor traffic clogged. ive used the airport over 100 times and i really dont get the bad wrap. now aesthetically speaking, its a dump as well as having shitty transit connections, but those are being worked on. I hate O'hare, JFK and Newark with a passion however.
I think you and I are in the same boat. I've flown out of LAX >50 or so times now so I know what to expect. So, I don't find it to be as bad as JFK. With that said, I completely understand how it's a nightmare for anyone who's just traveling through. It's crowded. It's outdated. It's a dump. It's been neglected. It's inefficient. No tram. No rail. No amenities. And the few changes that have been made over the last few years or are in the works will still place LAX at the bottom of world airports.

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 5:03 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

The worst part about JFK, in my experience, is having to wait on the tarmac for 45 minutes before finally taking off. That's been the case every single time I've flown out of there. What gives? The facilities, however, are pretty decent (minus the Delta terminal) and there's even a functioning people mover.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDVArch View Post

The city on the east coast that most resembles LA, mainly in culture and lifestyle, would be Miami.
I didn't say it was anything like Atlanta. I said it had a similar relationship with its West Coast peers the same way Atlanta does with its East Coast peers.

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 5:21 PM

Quote:
I didn't say it was anything like Atlanta. I said it had a similar relationship with its West Coast peers the same way Atlanta does with its East Coast peers.
I understood what you were saying. And, my claims stands. If there is an analogous relationship between west and east coast cities, this is it: Miami is to New York as Los Angeles is to San Francisco.

(I would bother with the details and exceptions, but best to get back to the topic.)

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 7:30 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ That's a terrible analogy. Stop talking.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 8:17 PM

The new mayor is apparently the one who's against runway relocation at LAX. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Old Posted May 24, 2013, 1:04 AM

Quote:
The new mayor is apparently the one who's against runway relocation at LAX. It will be interesting to see what happens.
I agree with you. Hope he doesn't happens. I don't think ever relocation the runway. The runway is here to stay. They aren't going anywhere.

Old Posted May 24, 2013, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
Theoretically, you could move all the T1 flights (and some or all of the T3 flights) to the new T0. Then when the new Midfield Satellite Concourse (15-25 gates, I would imagine) is done, you could transfer all the international flights out of T2 there. Then you could construct a consolidated terminal in place of T1-3, thereby relieving some of the congestion in the southern terminals.
That is a "terrible" idea. But, please, don't stop talking. Your theories, however wrong, are amusing.

The actual plan is to build the northern section of the MSC first. That will provide 11 gates in a mixed domestic and international configuration. The current study puts the start of construction in the fourth quarter of 2014.

In the meantime, the project is advancing: Work continues on the site prep (e.g., demolition of buildings and new taxiline T), the Draft EIR, and project definition booklet.

The 11 gates would be used to house airline ops displaced by the runway relocation project and other terminal projects on the north side. Any remaining gates would be used to fill requests for new service.

There is no work being done at the moment on Terminal 0. It exists only on paper, the LAX Amended Specific Plan.

LAWA is likely to build the southern portion of the MSC (+18 gates) and associated facilities (i.e., the Central Terminal Processor and people mover) before it ever turns its attention to building Terminal 0.

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDVArch View Post

LOL! With all due respect, no. Just, no. For one thing, Miami has almost no Asian populaton, or connections to Asia.

Superficially, I can certainly see your logic. Beaches, sun, glamor, etc. But in the real world where business ties define true connectivity, there is simply no comparison at all. Miami is a great city, but Atlanta is several levels above Miami when it comes to importance on an East coast level and when it comes to connectivity with L.A. Despite the comings and goings of the "glamor set," there is a much stronger link between L.A. & ATL than there is between L.A. and MIA.

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 4:41 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

So will the people mover be landside or airside?

I've never been to LAX, can you go between terminals without a second trip through security?

Last edited by llamaorama; May 26, 2013 at 4:54 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
LOL! With all due respect, no. Just, no. For one thing, Miami has almost no Asian populaton, or connections to Asia.

Superficially, I can certainly see your logic. Beaches, sun, glamor, etc. But in the real world where business ties define true connectivity, there is simply no comparison at all. Miami is a great city, but Atlanta is several levels above Miami when it comes to importance on an East coast level and when it comes to connectivity with L.A. Despite the comings and goings of the "glamor set," there is a much stronger link between L.A. & ATL than there is between L.A. and MIA.
Miami may not have significant ties to Asia but its defined by its heavy Latino presence. In that sense LA, San Antonio, and Miami share a somewhat unique identity. I'd say that Latino/bilingual, sun, beaches, extreme glamour/poverty, tourism, etc is a pretty good place to start in order to compare Miami and LA.

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 8:31 PM

From the Daily News

Gotta give AnVil credit. He's been good for both transportation as well as boosterism with our most important economic partners. If you're gonna build a shiny new international terminal, you better make sure people are aware of it. China is as good as any reason to build a world-class TBIT.

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa off to China to promote business

By Rick Orlov, Staff Writer , @Rickorlovon Twitter - LA Daily News
Published: May 25, 2013, 4:15 PM
Updated: May 25, 2013, 4:56 PM

Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa is making his third trip to China today, leading a delegation of business and tourism leaders to promote travel and asking businesses to open offices in Los Angeles.

The trip to Beijing, from Sunday through Wednesday, is being paid for by the Los Angeles World Airports, Port of Los Angeles and the Tourism and Convention Board. Its cost is estimated at $80,000.

Villaraigosa is scheduled to meet with top government officials as well as business organizations, including China Shipping, Dalian Wanda Group and the Chinese Real Estate Chamber of Commerce to encourage the use of LAX and the Port of Los Angeles for the shipment of goods.

Among the issues to be discussed is the expanded capacity at the port and the modernization of LAX with improvements at the Tom Bradley International Terminal.

"The future of Los Angeles is closely tied to our neighbors in the Pacific Rim," Villaraigosa said, adding the trips he has made before have helped develop a foundation of political, social and business ties.

China is the top trading partner for Los Angeles, representing 39.4 percent of its total global trade.

"With trade and tourism driving our local economy, Los Angeles must maintain and cultivate its strong relationship with China to encourage increased investment, trade, and tourism in L.A.," Villaraigosa said.

The Mayor's Office estimated there are more than 300,000 local jobs tied to the import-export business.

Harbor Department Executive Director Geraldine Knatz said the port is in a highly competitive market for cargo.

"China is by far the port's largest trading partner," Knatz said. "Our focus is not only to protect those jobs, but to explore expanded trade opportunities. "

Tourism is a $16.5 billion a year industry for Los Angeles, supporting one in 10 jobs, the Mayor's Office said.

China has become the No. 1 overseas source of visitors, with 460,000 tourists.

Villaraigosa recently hosted Beijing Mayor Wang Anshun and other Chinese officials at the seventh Sino-U.S. Mayor's summit.

As part of that, Villaraigosa signed a memorandum of understanding to establish a Chinese Real Estate Chamber of Commerce office in Los Angeles.

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 8:41 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by StethJeff View Post
Miami may not have significant ties to Asia but its defined by its heavy Latino presence. In that sense LA, San Antonio, and Miami share a somewhat unique identity. I'd say that Latino/bilingual, sun, beaches, extreme glamour/poverty, tourism, etc is a pretty good place to start in order to compare Miami and LA.
And despite the superficial similarities, LA and Miami don't have very strong connections. LA's strongest ties to the East Coast are with NYC (this isn't even debatable). Miami also has much stronger ties with NYC than LA. The proof is in the sheer number of New York transplants living there.

If there's one "Southern" city like LA, it's Houston. LA is a mixture of Houston, San Diego, and NYC.

— Jerome Bruner

Last edited by Quixote; May 26, 2013 at 9:17 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StethJeff View Post
All true, StethJeff.

Old Posted May 26, 2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
And despite the superficial similarities, LA and Miami don't have very strong connections. LA's strongest ties to the East Coast are with NYC (this isn't even debatable). Miami also has much stronger ties with NYC than LA. The proof is in the sheer number of New York transplants living there.

If there's one "Southern" city like LA, it's Houston. LA is a mixture of Houston, San Diego, and NYC.
Bingo!

My whole point was that L.A. and Atlanta are more connected than people realize, and this is the undisputed business hub of the Southeast. It isn't Miami.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
Bingo!

My whole point was that L.A. and Atlanta are more connected than people realize, and this is the undisputed business hub of the Southeast. It isn't Miami.
I see the ATL boosters have to bash Miami at every turn to hide their insecurities.
This thread has gone way off topic.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdreamz View Post
I see the ATL boosters have to bash Miami at every turn to hide their insecurities.
This thread has gone way off topic.
And you just made it worse, and to continue this I say that Atlanta doesnt have any insecurities, why would they have any if they are the "Capital of the Southeast US", they don't have to bash Miami since Atlanta is at a higher level, but by the way its off topic and i'm sorry for worsening it, but that post was just screaming at me to contradict.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 112597jorge View Post
And you just made it worse, and to continue this I say that Atlanta doesnt have any insecurities, why would they have any if they are the "Capital of the Southeast US", they don't have to bash Miami since Atlanta is at a higher level, but by the way its off topic and i'm sorry for worsening it, but that post was just screaming at me to contradict.
Really? I made it worse? I find it hilarious that the ATL boosters think they have a lot in common with LA and then scream they are the "Capital of the Southeast"? in business comparable to Los Angeles which is a "beast"! They certainly arent the "capital of anything" in Florida!
As I said the "boosters" have thrown this topic way off hand! Miami doesn't worry about the "Capital of Coca Cola" & their big "Delta" airport..
Back to the topic of LA transit!

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 112597jorge View Post
Holy run on sentence, Batman!

Why are we spending so much time talking about Miami and Atlanta in the LAX thread?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation