HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 1:13 PM

54 W Flagler was also the site of the two towers proposed last year.

https://www.goldenduskphotography.co...ade-courthouse

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 11:52 PM

The first Waffle House in Miami-Dade is coming to Miami Gardens

The first Waffle House in Miami-Dade is coming to Miami Gardens

BY LANCE DIXON
ldixon@miamiherald.com

One of the most iconic breakfast spots for after-party meals, weary travelers and late-night comfort food is coming to Miami-Dade County.

The first Waffle House in the county is coming to Miami Gardens, just south of Northwest 199th Street and U.S. 441. City leaders think it will be in place by early 2018.

“The [developers] are in for permits and they should be moving along pretty good over the next couple months,” City Manager Cameron Benson said.

Representatives from Waffle House approached the city about a year ago to develop the site, which is the previous home of the popular Jamaican/Chinese restaurant Nice Mon.

There’s no building yet but a sign on a fence around the property promises that the restaurant is coming soon. Anxious fans of the All-Star Special, pecan waffles, sausage biscuits and more have taken notice on social media.

The South Florida area isn’t fully devoid of Waffle Houses though. There are three in Broward County — in Southwest Ranches, Davie and Fort Lauderdale.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...#storylink=cpy

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 3:29 PM

1221 Brickell Purchased for $155M

https://www.goldenduskphotography.co...hased-for-155m

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 1:08 PM

L'Atelier Miami Beach Construction Progress Photos

https://www.goldenduskphotography.co...rogress-photos

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 1:03 PM

2500 Biscayne Construction Updates

https://www.goldenduskphotography.co...uction-updates

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 3:58 PM

Today's article in thenextmiami seems like a puff job but it's a legit stat, 7500 a month are moving to Miami. http://www.thenextmiami.com/7500-peo...y-every-month/

So the market is ok right? I mean Porsche is virtually sold out, Deezer and Trump are buddies, the market is in a glut but the slack will be picked up this summer. Let's hope something happens that doesn't make me sweat any more than I already do.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 5:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamimarc View Post
Today's article in thenextmiami seems like a puff job but it's a legit stat, 7500 a month are moving to Miami. http://www.thenextmiami.com/7500-peo...y-every-month/

So the market is ok right? I mean Porsche is virtually sold out, Deezer and Trump are buddies, the market is in a glut but the slack will be picked up this summer. Let's hope something happens that doesn't make me sweat any more than I already do.

If 7500 per month is the net number and it keeps up, then it's going to be a pretty awful place relatively soon (by many natives' accounts, it already is). Hardly enough room as it is. Too many people, too many cars, too many guns, and too much heat and too few brains thrown into the mix makes for a pretty nasty stew... no thanks, not a Miami that appeals to me anymore.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
If 7500 per month is the net number and it keeps up, then it's going to be a pretty awful place relatively soon (by many natives' accounts, it already is). Hardly enough room as it is. Too many people, too many cars, too many guns, and too much heat and too few brains thrown into the mix makes for a pretty nasty stew... no thanks, not a Miami that appeals to me anymore.
Net growth in Miami-Dade county last year was slightly above 11,000. More people have moved out recently due to terrible wages and job market and how expensive it is and QOL is going downhill fast.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
They have been predicting the end for Miami for decades and still Miami has grown to have the third largest skyline in the U.S. and growing. Does anybody remember Time's magazine cover story "Paradise Lost" from the early 1980's?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpolom View Post
They have been predicting the end for Miami for decades and still Miami has grown to have the third largest skyline in the U.S. and growing. Does anybody remember Time's magazine cover story "Paradise Lost" cover from the early 1980's?
More to life than just skylines, yes it's growing but it has a huge amount of people leaving the city and county as well. The COL to QOL ratio sucks, the job market is horrid, pay is only $10/H, high crime, etc...

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djesus777 View Post
More to life than just skylines, yes it's growing but it has a huge amount of people leaving the city and county as well. The COL to QOL ratio sucks, the job market is horrid, pay is only $10/H, high crime, etc...
"Huge amount of people leaving"? If thats the case, how come traffic keeps getting worse and worse?! And yes, the skyline represents the vitality of a city, just like its airport and in Miami's case its port as well. You probably wish you could live here but cannot afford it.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2017, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Huge amount of people leaving the city?! According to a 2016 census report, Miami Dade County had a population of 2, 712,945 (945,000 1960) making it the 7th most populous county in the U.S. This figure does not include Broward and Palm Beach Counties which brings the figure to more than 6 million people and are part of the metro area. You do not know what you are talking about by making false statements.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2017, 3:28 AM
BANNED

Always good to hear the South Florida braintrust's take on things -- thanks for the riveting insight, wpolom!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2017, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Net growth in Miami-Dade county last year was slightly above 11,000. More people have moved out recently due to terrible wages and job market and how expensive it is and QOL is going downhill fast.
I just don't get it! Why are so terrible wages? Is that low minimum wage? They should have $20hrs on the salary. They don't like to be poor minimum wage.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2017, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n830mh View Post
i just don't get it! Why are so terrible wages? Is that low minimum wage? They should have $20hrs on the salary. They don't like to be poor minimum wage.
huuh?!!! Ask Donald J (Jerk) Trump for a raise!

Last edited by wpolom; Apr 29, 2017 at 10:24 PM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Huge amount of people leaving the city?! According to a 2016 census report, Miami Dade County had a population of 2, 712,945 (945,000 1960) making it the 7th most populous county in the U.S. This figure does not include Broward and Palm Beach Counties which brings the figure to more than 6 million people and are part of the metro area. You do not know what you are talking about by making false statements.
Actually, I do, since I live there amongst other cities.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...140447978.html.

A quote from that article: "Miami-Dade bled 30,560 locals even as 41,830 immigrants moved in last year, for a net growth of 11,270"

https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...xhtml?src=bkmk

From 2010-2016 MDC gained 214,927 people, so an average of 35,821. 76K from natural births, 244K from immigration and yet the only county in the metropolitan with a negative domestic growth of -106K. So total balance of 137K, or 22,800K a year.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Actually, I do, since I live there amongst other cities.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...140447978.html.

A quote from that article: "Miami-Dade bled 30,560 locals even as 41,830 immigrants moved in last year, for a net growth of 11,270"

https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...xhtml?src=bkmk

From 2010-2016 MDC gained 214,927 people, so an average of 35,821. 76K from natural births, 244K from immigration and yet the only county in the metropolitan with a negative domestic growth of -106K. So total balance of 137K, or 22,800K a year.

Apparently you have tunnel vision with a little bit of hysteria, apocalyptic nature. Basically, what the Miami Herald article is saying is that the source of South Florida's population growth has shifted from other parts of the U.S. to Latin America and Europe.

That doesn't mean growth for South Florida is stalling. As mentioned in the article; "The Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach megalopolis has been one of the fastest-growing metro areas in the country by sheer numbers. Since the last Census in 2010, outstripping the Los Angeles, Washington, D.C., and Phoenix metro growth machines."

As a result of this tremendous growth, real estate prices are going thru the roof (demmand exceed supply). If there was a mass exodus from South Florida, like you claim , real estate prices will be colapsing (supply exceed demmand).

Many people want to be in South Florida, like it or not. As stated by condo market analyst, Peter Zalewski; "Miami high-rises, restaurants, and a burgeoning arts scene have put the city on a path of becoming a cosmopolitan hub in the style of London, Hong kong or Singapore."

Finally, Miami and South Florida as a whole, is resilient and ever changing. I guess when it comes to Miami, if you want to play you got to pay.

Last edited by wpolom; Apr 30, 2017 at 11:51 PM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Apparently you have tunnel vision with a little bit of hysteria, apocalyptic narure. Basically, what the Miami Herald's article is saying is that the source of South Florida's population growth has shifted from other parts of the U.S. to Latin America and Europe.

That doesn't mean growth for South Florida is stalling. As mentioned in the article; "The Miami-Fort Lauderdale-West Palm Beach megalopolis has been one of the fastest-growing metro areas in the country by sheer numbers. Since the last Census in 2010, outstripping the Los Angeles, Washington, D.C., and Phoenix metro growth machines."

As a result of this tremendous growth, real estate prices are going thru the roof (demmand exceed supply). If there was a mass exodus from South Florida, like you claim , real estate prices will be colapsing (supply exceed demmand).

Many people want to be in South Florida, like it or not. As stated by condo market analyst, Peter Zalewski; "Miami high-rises, restaurants, and a burgeoning arts scene have put the city on a path of becoming a cosmopolitan hub in the style of London, Hong kong or Singapore."

Finally, Miami and South Florida as a whole, is resilient and ever changing. I guess when it comes to Miami, if you want to play you got to pay.
1. I said even though it's growing fast, many people are leaving, as stated in the article, yes people are moving in, no shit sherlock. But people leaving has been increasing more and more.
2. More people move to Broward and West Palm, especially in the past couple years than MDC.
3. Miami is only dependent on immigration, without it, it'll be kaput.
4. High real estate mainly from speculation, foreigners buying real estate, etc... Do you think a city with 30%+ poverty rate and a low GDP per capita are gonna live in those highrises?
5. LOL, what art's scene? those 3 little blocks of Wynwood? cosmopolitan? not really. Miami will never become anything like a London, Hong Kong or Singapore
I do love how you say I have tunnel vision and hysteria, yet I know this city much better than you. In fact, I have ties to city workers and real-estate developers (including one directly involved with the Miami worldcentre complex ) so I know what I'm talking about.

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 1:48 AM

Quote:
1. I said even though it's growing fast, many people are leaving, as stated in the article, yes people are moving in, no shit sherlock. But people leaving has been increasing more and more.
2. More people move to Broward and West Palm, especially in the past couple years than MDC.
4. High real estate mainly from speculation, foreigners buying real estate, etc... Do you think a city with 30%+ poverty rate and a low GDP per capita are gonna live in those highrises?
5. LOL, what art's scene? those 3 little blocks of Wynwood? cosmopolitan? not really. Miami will never become anything like a London, Hong Kong or Singapore
I do love how you say I have tunnel vision and hysteria, yet I know this city much better than you. In fact, I have ties to city workers and real-estate developers (including one directly involved with the Miami worldcentre complex ) so I know what I'm talking about.
No, you dont't know what you are talking about. You are just a Miami hater and I sense a lot of anger. GOODBYE!

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 7:12 AM

Quote:

On points #3 #4 and #5 :

#3: Does it matter where the migration comes from? Miami's geography & culture has propelled it into a international city that it is today that attracts immigrants. Are they less valuable?

#4: High real estate prices : to begin with has to do with the fact that Miami & it's metro is landlocked. Limited land to build = higher prices & density. Just look at LA, SF and other cities that are in the same situation.
As for Miami having a 30% poverty rate that is only for the city proper and not a part of the rest of the county.
For a college educated man you shouldn't cherry pick stats to fit your arguments.

I found this comment from the Herald article you posted interesting :

"So much drama here Miami's salaries have always been low this is not new. If you make little money and cannot afford Miami or its housing change careers improve your education or move out. The people with money will always buy as they wish and currently they choose to put their money in south Florida real estate."

#5: The Miami Arts scene : If you really think that the 3 little blocks of Wynwood is all there is to the Art scene you are quite ignorant.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations