HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

View Poll Results: Are you planning on going to the Stampede this year?
Yeeeeee-haw! (yes) 38 53.52%
No 25 35.21%
I haven't decided 8 11.27%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 12:43 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vascilli View Post
Our stand is very close to the Midway Circus, maybe that's a better description.
Your stand is the one by the Saddledome, right? Facing it, even? I think it's the only donut stand in the area. It's also right next to the turkey leg place, which brings me giggles every year.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycanuck View Post
You really have to just surrender to Stampede.
No, I don't, and am living proof.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Your stand is the one by the Saddledome, right? Facing it, even? I think it's the only donut stand in the area. It's also right next to the turkey leg place, which brings me gobbles every year.
Fixed.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 6:30 PM
Editor

Ah yes..... one of things I like about Stampede. Women with cowboy hats.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 6:32 PM

went down to the grounds on Saturday and imagine my surprise to find everything the same as every other year...

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 6:58 PM

True you don't, but we are obligated to have pity on you nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
No, I don't, and am living proof.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 8:06 PM
That's what she said

Last edited by Tobyoby; Jul 6, 2009 at 8:25 PM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 8:39 PM
Hare Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Your stand is the one by the Saddledome, right? Facing it, even? I think it's the only donut stand in the area. It's also right next to the turkey leg place, which brings me giggles every year.
Yes that's it. Conveniently angled so we can't see the fireworks.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 12:45 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
went down to the grounds on Saturday and imagine my surprise to find everything the same as every other year...
You must be a real hoot at Flames games. "Hey, it's the same game every time I come - most of the same people playing, too! Pfft, there was a fight last week".

I kid, but come on - ALL entertainment is in large part like this. Part of why things become repeated events is that people enjoy what's there, and want to experience it again.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 2:47 AM
Looking Up

Quote:
Sadly this is almost impossible. Not only is the parking very strictly enforced by the city (due to the residents' demands) year-round, during Stampede they actually have police (off duty?) controlling access in and out of the area. Yes, you actually get stopped at a blockade and have to prove you live there before you can drive in.

Not sure if it's changed but this is what we ran into a couple of years ago. Also not sure how feasible it would be to park further away and walk in - do they do the "papers please!" act for pedestrians?
That's a shame. Perhaps I can find another building or mesa-esc area overlooking the grounds area (Be it near or far).

My guess is that too many people had the same Idea I did... And the residents complained. Shame on them for ruining our fun.

I would imagine the view of the show to be spectacular for arriVa or Vetro. I could imagine it being amazing from the Petro Canada building or Banker's Hall, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacsilli
If you want a lot, come to me. My stand is near the Saddledome and beside a turkey place. I'm 16 (Look for a young, dashing man) with brown hair and rectangular glasses. There's at least one other guy who would also fit that description, so when in doubt ask. How will this get you more donuts? See the next tip.
You wish, Eric...

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 3:06 AM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tills13 View Post
I would imagine the view of the show to be spectacular for arriVa or Vetro.
Nah it's not so great...

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 3:12 AM
I'm the bear on the right

I went down to the Stampede this afternoon. Avoided taking the CTrain. This is the only time I'll avoid taking it. Luckily, I avoided the downpour and did my usual Stampede activities. I wandered through the commercial exhibits and the arts and crafts in BMO Centre. I've never been crazy about the mini-donuts (sorry Vas), but there is this small cake with a custard-like filling that I'll buy if I see it, and I did. The ShamWow booth was quite busy; sorry no Vince. The only thing I did buy was some goodies from The Nut Man. My timing was good and I watched the finals of the Team Cattle Penning. Such skill. I don't attend events in the Saddledome like a lot of you guys, but to me it is starting to look a bit tired. I spent most of my time in the Big 4 building (opened 50 years ago today coincidentally) playing the slots. The prices for pretty much everything are obscene.....reminded me of my Vegas trip in April. Had the Wor Won Ton at the Wonton King in the BMO Centre.....very good and very filling. Had a nice walk in the Beltline to 17th Ave & 14th St and caught the #6 home.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tills13 View Post
That's a shame. Perhaps I can find another building or mesa-esc area overlooking the grounds area (Be it near or far).

My guess is that too many people had the same Idea I did... And the residents complained. Shame on them for ruining our fun.

You're allowed to walk up Scottsman Hill. Only vehicles aren't allowed in. You can park at Ramsay school for only $5 after 8:30pm. It's just short hike up the hill to view the fireworks.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 7:03 AM
Hare Expert

Has anybody had Taco in a Bag? The idea's warming up to me and frankly everything else is overpriced crap. It's pretty sad that we're probably one of the cheapest stands. (26 doughnuts for $5, and we'll probably end up giving you more)

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 1:35 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Overpriced... yeah, mostly. I will say that even at $9, the beef on a bun I had was absolutely amazing. Felt like a solid pound of beef (hi, heart attack!) plus onions and mushrooms and cheese sauce.

Probably more food for that price than you'd get at McDonald's, not that that's saying much. Add in the $1 milk and cookies and it was quite the filling meal.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 12:00 AM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vascilli View Post
Has anybody had Taco in a Bag?
I had the taco-in-a-bag...I thought it was great! It's a bag of Doritos that is cut open on the side. Then they pile on lettuce, ground beef, cheese, salsa and sour cream. I'll be having that again for sure....best new food of the midway so far. At least I think it's new, I don't remember seeing it last year.

I also had the deep-fried jelly beans. They're all right, but nothing special. They just taste like jelly beans with a lot of batter. I guess they tast exactly as I thought they would.

And, the Alligator pizza, which really just tastes like pizza with overcooked chicken on it.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2009, 8:32 AM
Hare Expert

I've decided to make my own taco in a bag, when all my friends are back and the Stampede is over. I also decided to smarten up and buy a six pack of 710mL Cokes and some 250g of beef jerky. It all came to less than the cost of 5 bottles of Coke at the Stampede price.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 10:27 AM
Hare Expert

Random Stampede fact: The military's display is on guard 24/7, mainly because all the stuff they have on display happens to be the real deal, save for any ammo. (Machine guns, assault rifles, helicopter, LAV, etc)

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 2:19 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
The military displays were excellent. My kids loved them, and the people they had manning the displays and booths were friendly and fun. Talking to, and overhearing other conversations from some of them, it was both interesting and sobering to hear how many of them had been to Afghanastan or were slated to be going there soon. Most of them looked like they were barely out of high school.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 3:22 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Most of them looked like they were barely out of high school.
You're dating yourself.

You can always tell if someone's in their 30s (rough guess) - that's when we start to notice that military types all look very young, but also when we notice that most NHL players look VERY young.

It's sad to think that I'd be close to retirement if I played hockey.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation