HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 10:00 AM
City Maker

Video Game Museum?

When talking to people about the Arts & Culture in Calgary, you often hear of the perceived lack of Arts & Culture. Even if this perception is incorrect it probably wouldn't hurt to have another art gallery or museum in the City. A group of residents in one of the most 'cultured' cities in the World feels this way and is attempting to get their Federal Government to open up yet another museum in their fair city. A museum that is probably unlike most in the World, one dedicated to one of their passions and pastimes; video games.

------------------------------------------------------------

Video Game Classics Need Museum, Say "Retrogames"

September 22, 2009
Calgary Herald
Mehdi Cherifia

PARIS - A group of self-styled French "Retrogamers" is calling for the creation of a special museum for the classic video arcade games that bewitched millions of teenagers in the 1980s.

"It's one thing to have a stock of old consoles, and of course we're happy with that, but what you really want to do is play the games.

"A video game isn't there to be looked at like a painting or a sculpture, you only really get a feel for it with the joystick in your hand," said Guillaume Verdun, prime mover in the group, called MO5.com.

The "Retrogamers" are lobbying the authorities to set up a "National Institute of Digital Sciences" that would include fully working versions of classics like Super Mario -- the animated adventures of a moustachioed American plumber -- or "Pong", the primitive black-and-white ping-pong whose animated complexity ran to two movable white lines between which players bounced a slowly moving white square.

Verdun says his organisation has already been in touch with the French National Library and Paris' biggest science museum, the Cite des Sciences.

They have even contacted the office of Nathalie Kosciusko-Morizet, the French minister responsible for the digital economy.

He nevertheless recognises that his campaign to give his beloved arcade games and consoles the recognition he feels they deserve is likely to take some time.

"We're moving ahead bit by bit, but we know it is likely to be years before things fully take shape," he said.

But visitors to a weekend video games festival in Paris got a taste of what the hoped-for museum could be like.

The festival was essentially a trade fair for the multi-billion dollar video games industry, which has fallen on hard times recently with sales down 14 percent in the first five months or 2009.

But tucked away among fabulous displays of the latest 3D and "enhanced reality" games were the retrogamers, where many a 40-something former arcade ace could be found wistfully reliving his or her lost youth.

"I hadn't played the first Mario since I was a teenager. It's very moving to find these video game monuments as this is an industry where people are usually waiting for the next technological development," said 38-year-old Adrien.

The creators of the retrogaming space went to great lengths to re-create the feel of the old arcade game and consoles, with all the games on display connected to old-style cathode ray television monitors rather than modern, flat liquid crystal screens.

The president of the video games festival, Jonathan Dumont, said he was happy to welcome the retrogamers amid all of the latest high-tech offerings.

He said he found the interest for the old games "encouraging", arguing that the enthusiasm showed that video games were "beginning to acquire the status of real works of art."

"Lots of people watch old films," he said, adding that the growing enthusiasm for old video games was a logical evolution of this and proof that video games had reached a certain maturity.

"People are no longer just looking at the technical aspects but also their artistic qualities," he added.

The game-makers themselves seem more divided about the desirability of preserving classic games.

According to Verdun, some companies like Nintendo and Sega are "sensitive" to the need to preserve video game history, even going so far as to supply MO5.com with spare parts for old consoles.

Other firms however seem totally focused on the next big thing and "don't necessarily see the interest" in preserving these flashing, beeping relics of our digital history.

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

------------------------------------------------------------

So, would one of these work in Calgary? I believe that a Video Game museum would be: appealing to many audiences including those who usually aren't interested in museums, a boost to the City's perceived lack of culture, and fit quite nicely in the EV.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 1:23 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

What a cool idea! Although I think it should be expanded beyond just the arcade consoles to include the classics from the likes of Atari, Nintendo, Sega and such.

Quote:
We're moving ahead bit by bit, but we know it is likely to be years before things fully take shape,
Did anyone else chuckle at this line?

Edit: up up down down left right left right b a start

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 1:38 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
What a cool idea! Although I think it should be expanded beyond just the arcade consoles to include the classics from the likes of Atari, Nintendo, Sega and such.
Most def! Personally, I'd like to see a Video Game Museum and not just a Classic Video Game museum but one dedicated entirely to video games. It would have displays about the invention and progression of video games, have exhibits on things like virtual reality consoles, classic games, motion-capture technology, and best of all... A kickass arcade!
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 2:04 PM
Round Head

that would be cool.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 6:58 PM
Home of Hyperchange

I already have a good chunk of this in my basement.

I only wish I was exaggerating.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 7:30 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Let's put it in the Bow's south block cultural space!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 8:12 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
Let's put it in the Bow's south block cultural space!
Yes, what a great idea!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 12:50 AM
Hare Expert

On the topic of video games, are there any places I can play a good game of pinball?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 2:01 AM

In Japan, there is a museum for everything. Taiko drum museums, instant ramen museum, trains, cars, rice... anything you want, there's a museum.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 5:34 AM
the goggles do nothing

It would be awesome if they were to set up a old arcade museum in the area since arcades are becoming a dieing breed around the world. A place where maybe you could pay a ~5 dollar cover to enter and play some classic games would do quite well.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 5:36 AM
Hare Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug View Post
It would be awesome if they were to set up a old arcade museum in the area since arcades are becoming a dieing breed around the world. A place where maybe you could pay a ~5 dollar cover to enter and play some classic games would do quite well.
I was thinking about that a month or so ago, a place where you just pay a flat rate and play as much as you want. Maybe you'd get a card to scan at the games instead, and it stops working after x amount of time? I think they have (Had?) a similar system at Disney Land but it was obscenely expensive.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 5:50 AM
I'm the bear on the right

Isn't everything at Disneyland obscenely expensive??

I definitely like the idea of a video game museum. I finished reading "JPod" last night and had a good laugh at the possibility.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 2:35 PM
Home of Hyperchange

In the late 80s (the pinnacle of arcade games and pinball in many ways) I used to frequent a place in Winnipeg that was set for "free play" on everything. You paid your $5/hr (or whatever the cost was) and went nuts.

It was in many cases the only way to ever finish an arcade game, without going broke. And it was a great way to try out seemingly every single game ever released to that point.

If something like that opened again, I'd LIVE there. Even at $20/hr+. Heck, I'd open it myself if I knew it would make money, but sadly nostalgia alone isn't always enough to turn a profit.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 4:12 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
If something like that opened again, I'd LIVE there. Even at $20/hr+. Heck, I'd open it myself if I knew it would make money, but sadly nostalgia alone isn't always enough to turn a profit.
One of the problems with an arcade in Calgary is finding a location where you could find a sustainable amount of customers from what I believe are two of its biggest markets; adolescents looking for a social activity, and people looking for something fun to do to while killing some time. That's why I think the EV would be a good location for a VG Museum and Arcade.If it was placed somewhere along the pedestrian mall close to a college/university campus and/or leisure activity sites that require some waiting (i.e. a cinema), I believe it could attract quite the patronage. Also, if the EV became a destination spot for teens it could capture the aforementioned adolescent market.
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 4:19 PM
Home of Hyperchange

I dunno if teens even play video games in public anymore, other than DDR,racing sims, or Big Buck Hunter clones. This is all I ever see in front of movie theatres, kinda what you're alluding to as a place to have them.

I'm talking a REAL arcade, where you have actual variety in games. You know, old school style. I just can't picture many 16 year olds today actually paying money to play Pac-Man, or Street Fighter II, or R-Type. At least not in front of their friends.

I was more thinking of a place adults would go for a bit of nostalgia and a bit of casual fun. Even better if it were licensed.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 4:59 PM
City Maker

Quote:
I dunno if teens even play video games in public anymore, other than DDR,racing sims, or Big Buck Hunter clones. This is all I ever see in front of movie theatres, kinda what you're alluding to as a place to have them.

I'm talking a REAL arcade, where you have actual variety in games. You know, old school style. I just can't picture many 16 year olds today actually paying money to play Pac-Man, or Street Fighter II, or R-Type. At least not in front of their friends.

I was more thinking of a place adults would go for a bit of nostalgia and a bit of casual fun. Even better if it were licensed.
Actually, when I was in high school actual arcade games were still fun and kids would play the games you mentioned. The setting in which we, now they, did is what's key. Today's kids are not going to the arcade to play video games but rather hang out and socialize. For teens, arcade games are to arcades what shops are to malls. There are two ways to get today's teens into arcades, make it that socializing spot and/or cater it to how they play video games. With the former, you could place it among other popular activity sites for teens and provide things that would attract them (e.g. Bubble Tea or whatever the devil kids are drinking these days). With the latter, bring in their systems.

Have PCs, PS3s, and 360s where they could have competitions. Yeah, they could play on-line but playing against others in person and with other people looking at you just isn't the same. Give them that show where they can be the star!

Or I could be wrong.
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 11:08 PM
effete latte-lifter

There's a place in Portland Oregon that is basically this. Can't remember the name, but it was featured in the Comedians of Comedy documentary (the film, not the Comedy Central series.) Brian Posehn seemed to be in nerd heaven.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 11:28 PM
Hare Expert

Quote:

I'd pay good money to play some pinball. Where's my pinball??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riise View Post
Actually, when I was in high school actual arcade games were still fun and kids would play the games you mentioned. The setting in which we, now they, did is what's key. Today's kids are not going to the arcade to play video games but rather hang out and socialize. For teens, arcade games are to arcades what shops are to malls. There are two ways to get today's teens into arcades, make it that socializing spot and/or cater it to how they play video games. With the former, you could place it among other popular activity sites for teens and provide things that would attract them (e.g. Bubble Tea or whatever the devil kids are drinking these days). With the latter, bring in their systems.

Have PCs, PS3s, and 360s where they could have competitions. Yeah, they could play on-line but playing against others in person and with other people looking at you just isn't the same. Give them that show where they can be the star!

Or I could be wrong.
I think a good way to attract my type to an arcade instead of watching them go home and play Rock Band or some lame shit like that is to entice us with things we can't have. Playing Rock Band, Guitar Hero, or DDR and whatnot with high quality equipment instead of some stupid plastic crap or a mat would be awfully nice, and those things aren't cheap. Having large (100"+) displays with surround sound is also something that would be attractive. Lots of my friends love Halo, having real tournaments with rankings and prizes wouldn't hurt either. A given is having pretty much every single game on every console available all the time.

Don't forget the pinball.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vascilli View Post
I'd pay good money to play some pinball. Where's my pinball??
It's at Broken City, in the back, by the cold beer. I got (did have) the top third spot on one drunken night.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 1:37 AM
IMHO

^^^ Pinball has died and come back several times. Arcades in the first place killed pinball, and it came back with new electronic gizmos and flashier displays. It'll be back again someday, I'm sure.

'Ya know, arcade games started out pretty much in the places they are relegated to now - bars, movie theaters etc. I think someday someone will come up with some cool new game that adults will play, and lo - kids of the day will be into it as well. Perhaps it will start a new wave of arcades.

I myself would pay good money for a top notch driving simulator - 180 degree screen, tilting for g-force effect, rumble seat for off road, realistic car physics, multi-seat for competition and top notch graphics of course. Such a platform could be used to create several great games including formula racing, street racing, stunt driving, off roading, among others. I live in hope of seeing it someday.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation