HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

W Austin Hotel & Residences in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Austin Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 3:58 PM

I was at the W site taking photos this morning when the people in the sales office asked if I wanted to take photos from their "observation deck". Okay, it's really just the outside stairs to the 2nd floor, but it worked well enough. I'll post some photos later.

I talked to one of the sales people there, one who seemed to be fairly interested in the construction process. She said they still have months of foundation work to do, that they will dig down to 50ft in some places. Also, they've just now hit bedrock in one corner of the lot, so they'll finally have to bring in some rock crunching machinery.

After that they'll do the usual drilling for piers and caissons. She they won't actually start pouring concrete for a level until November.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 1:40 AM

A quick pano from this morning, showing the big hole:

They finally hit bedrock:

Not quite sure what is going on here, but this area is a little different. That's where the theater is going to go, so I assume it has something to do with that:

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 8:01 AM
BANNED

This thread should be moved to Midrise Construction. This must be the third deepest hole ever dug for a building in Austin. I would guess that the deepest hole was for the capitol expansion in the '90s and the second deepest would be the five stories of underground parking at the Ashton Apartments.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2008, 6:18 AM

This is a tad off subject, but does anyone know the deal with the large LCD screen off 2nd? I heard there were some people against it for some odd reason or another?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 10:27 AM

From 8/4/08:

Pano taken from AMLI II next door:

Finally started drilling piers for the building:

Making rebar cages for the piers:

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 1:31 PM
Chairman

It appears work on the foundation has commenced. Caissons are being installed. I think this should be moved to Midrise U/C.

-sb

Old Posted Aug 17, 2008, 10:25 AM

From 8/16.

Lots of activity going on now that that digging is mostly done. There are 3 of the caisson drilling machines on site now and pier construction is well under way. Still, it will take a long time to get all the piers in place. I was told that the first concrete pour for a level probably won't be until November.

Some of the finished piers. Large rebar cage:

Hole is drilled, cage in place, ready for concrete:

This is an evil looking device:

Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 10:08 PM

Way to go Austin. Another tower "UNDER CONSTRUCTION". The concret is pouring. November might be the month for the first "floor of the garage" to pour but the cassions are being dug and poured! Up, Up, Up.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2008, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAlex View Post
This rendering of the W is fantastic. I can't wait!

I noticed a new rendering on the wooden ped safety structure at the corner of 2nd and Guadalupe today. It does not look anything like this one posted. The new rendering on site, may just be an old one but it looks...well pedestrian.

I hope the building actually looks more like this posted rendering.

Any other renderings floating out there that can be posted guys? I would love to see them.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2008, 7:16 PM
Savor the Flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by austex View Post
I noticed a new rendering on the wooden ped safety structure at the corner of 2nd and Guadalupe today. It does not look anything like this one posted. The new rendering on site, may just be an old one but it looks...well pedestrian.

I hope the building actually looks more like this posted rendering.

Any other renderings floating out there that can be posted guys? I would love to see them.

The one on site probably is an old rendering. I know the rendering on the site of the Texas Memorial Stadium is an old rendering.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 2:27 PM

2 crane bases have been delivered to the site.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 4:03 AM

From 9/6.

Crane base #1:

Crane base #2:

But, there is a third crane base still waiting on the side. Will there be 3 cranes?

Drilling and forming piers continues:

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 4:28 PM

Just happened to be riding my bike by the W this morning and saw they were trucking in some crane parts:

But this doesn't appear to be parts for the "real" cranes. This appears to be parts for the large portable crane used to assemble the tower cranes.

My guess is the smaller crane on the left, with the extending boom, is used to assemble the larger portable crane pieces. Then that crane will be used to assemble the tower cranes. And note the 3rd crane base is still there on the side, but I'm still not sure where it will go.

And overall, it looks like about 80% of the piers are done.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 4:41 PM

Crane parts sounds like a solid rejoinder to the supposition that this project might not proceed due to the economic crisis.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 6:31 PM

I think this project is on pretty solid footing. A few month's ago it was reportedly over 60% sold, at an average $1.1 million per unit. A lot of people who can afford that expensive of a place aren't dependent upon mortgage loans -- they just buy it outright.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2008, 9:43 PM
Meh

There had been some doubts about the height of this building. It was first said to be 432 feet tall, then 446 feet tall, and speculated to be 478 feet tall with a slight design change (more slender). I emailed the architects, and the building is actually 476 feet tall with 36 floors.

The email:

Quote:
There is no current plan to add additional floors to the building. The building's numbered occupied floors go to 37 (there is no 13th floor, so the actual top-most occupied floor is the 36th). As you mentioned, there are several intermediate floors that occur in various locations in the building. These are most typically located in the venue portion of the building - not under the tower. The building will rise to 476 feet at top of parapet of the tower.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 17, 2008, 11:32 PM
$$Money on my Mind$$

^^^ this means it should be a little taller than 360 roofline....eager to see what it'll look like on the skyline

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 12:26 AM

Way to go Kevin!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 3:43 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLove View Post
^^^ this means it should be a little taller than 360 roofline....eager to see what it'll look like on the skyline
Only two feet taller than 360's roof. Still exciting. I'm sure it'll stand out big time around my neighborhood and just about any place to the south big time.

The W block is actually higher than that of 360 (above sea level). 360's block is between 451 to 467 feet above sea level, while the W's block is 472 to 475 feet above sea level. 360's block slopes downward towards Shoal Creek.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 7:42 PM

I think this building will look very imposing, when viewed from the south. Compared to the Ashton, it will be taller and considerably wider. I think it will be very prominent in the skyline.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive