HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Manhattan West in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 1:41 AM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
At this point it doesn't matter. NYC has to catch up to Honk Kong and definitely Dubai.
And become the skyscraper capital of the world once again.
'Catching up' to a city in terms of buildings or architecture for that matter is not an objective, but for developers to build what is needed for a city's demand and capacity.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanskyscraper22 View Post
some people dont want to build buildings taller than ESB b/c they want to keep it a symbol of NY
There are symbols of New York that aren't just tall skyscrapers. There is the Statue of Liberty, Times Square, Brooklyn Bridge, etc. The Chrysler Building isn't the tallest and it is still a symbol of New York. Obviously the New World Trade Center Towers will be a big symbol of New York just as the Twin Towers were. It isn't that NY refuses to build tall it's just that money is a big issue today and back then we felt like we could do anything like have the World's Tallest Buildings and we did numerous times. There was Woolworth, Trump, Chrysler, Empire State, and the World Trade Towers so we were on top and we will be again. Did you know the Empire State Building cost only $41 Million to construct. The World Trade Center Transit Hub costs nearly $4 Billion. One World Trade Center aka Freedom Tower is costing $3.1 Billion, so the Transit Hub is more expensive than a supertall building which is ridiculous. We wil have the Hudson Towers in about 5-10 years so that will give ESB some competition since the tall one reaches 1,300 feet.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 11:03 PM

is this tower even going anywhere?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 11:11 PM

yeah will it going to be build? Midtown need something same in size as empire state building or even taller don't you people think?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2009, 1:55 AM
World Machine

Like I've said in the past, no news is good news. I rather hear nothing right now then see a negative article being posted.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2009, 11:52 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
is this tower even going anywhere?
There's a reason this thread is still in the proposal section. If there is news, it will be posted here, no need to ask the question. For future reference (and to everyone else), that goes for all proposals.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 10:04 PM
New Yorker for life

Like these photos showing the scale of the complex, back when Brookfield was thinking bigger. You can see how it would have fit in with Brookfield's Hudson Yards proposal, as well as the Empire State. Not shown in the model are the massive Hotel Penn or MSG/Penn Station proposals.

JT'sPhotos

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2010, 3:06 AM

a question for you NYguy, in your opinion do you believe these towers will be built?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2010, 1:49 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
a question for you NYguy, in your opinion do you believe these towers will be built?
I see no reason why they wouldn't be built eventually. Brookfield has held onto this property for years in anticipation of development. It's right accross the street from what will be the expanded Penn Station, and sits in between what will be the redeveloped Penn Station area, and the redeveloped West Side (hudson yards). There are no approvals neccessary for these towers to be built. Like the other office tower proposals in Midtown, the wait is for a tenant, which would lead to financing. This is part of the plan for commercial expansion in Midtown, where new, modern office development will take place. Whatever happens in the area will be phased in over time, like the redevelopment of the Times Square area, which is nearing completion (with 11 Times Square) and won't really be complete until the Port Authority Bus Terminal tower (20 Times Square) is built.

Old Posted May 12, 2010, 5:53 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Photo of another model that surfaced on WNY. Looks like the larger tower has a podium, for trading floors maybe?

NoyokA

Old Posted May 12, 2010, 3:13 PM
New Yorker for life

I like the model. I forget what the podium was for, but probably trading floors. The complex was originally planned as a 4 tower complex, with two office and two smaller residential towers.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2010, 7:28 PM
Frigidus Maximus

JT'sPhotos

[/QUOTE]

Heh, with all the bulging shapes, tapered and rounded ends, and twists they look more like a giant sex toy ensemble than a skyscraper development.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 3:23 AM

does anyone know what the deal is with this project??????

Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelanetrain17 View Post
does anyone know what the deal is with this project??????
it will likely be built, all they need is the economy to make it practical.though i would say that 15 Penn Plaza has paved the way for all the towers that will make up the newly revitalized West Side.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 3:38 AM

SICK! thanks for the update

another question, where do you get all your information from? like renderings and status reports?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 3:49 AM
New Yorker for life

^ A lot of this information comes through the media.

Quote:
it will likely be built, all they need is the economy to make it practical.though i would say that 15 Penn Plaza has paved the way for all the towers that will make up the newly revitalized West Side.
It's really the other way around. These buildings are as of right, meaning the zoning is already in place. 15 Penn Plaza was sort of the last piece to the puzzle, at least until the Penn East and Penn West situation gets settled.

As far as when Manhattan West would get built, the economy has to turn all the way around. Brookfield has to charge very high rents because of the costs associated with building the platform over the rails. I would expect 15 Penn to get underway before this one, but with the Moynihan Station project in the early stages, I wouldn't be completely shocked if there was renewed interest in this one from potential tenants.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
^ A lot of this information comes through the media.

It's really the other way around. These buildings are as of right, meaning the zoning is already in place. 15 Penn Plaza was sort of the last piece to the puzzle, at least until the Penn East and Penn West situation gets settled.

As far as when Manhattan West would get built, the economy has to turn all the way around. Brookfield has to charge very high rents because of the costs associated with building the platform over the rails. I would expect 15 Penn to get underway before this one, but with the Moynihan Station project in the early stages, I wouldn't be completely shocked if there was renewed interest in this one from potential tenants.
oh definitely i agree with you,what i meant was that 15 Penn plaza perhaps has given developers a new incentive to build their own towers when the economy picks up.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Nov 7, 2010, 9:58 PM

Exclamation

does anyone know if this project by brookfield properties.......is proposed or is it currently under construction.???

Old Posted Nov 7, 2010, 10:37 PM

proposed, after all, its in the proposed section.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2010, 12:34 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
proposed, after all, its in the proposed section.
To add to that, no site prep has begun either.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive