HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Azure Condominiums in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • London Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 19, 2015, 10:50 PM

505 Talbot Street / 30s / 315 ft / U/C

Tricar Group is proposing a new 30 storey, 315 foot tower at 505 Talbot Street. The proposal is now live on the Urban Design Review website. It's a nice looking tower, not chunky like their other buildngs and incorporates some glass in the building.

http://www.london.ca/business/Planni...5-combined.pdf

Last edited by GreatTallNorth2; May 25, 2015 at 4:22 PM.

Old Posted May 20, 2015, 12:55 AM
Sanity merchant

I like it!

More infill for downtown!

Old Posted May 20, 2015, 1:08 AM
User Registered

While I am happy to see a lot of proposals lately, its sad nothing is becoming of them. Maybe this one will be different

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted May 20, 2015, 2:12 AM

I think Tricar has a pretty good track record so I am hopeful it will be built.

Old Posted May 20, 2015, 2:26 AM

I'll be sad to see the [Black] Shire Pub go, but this would be a great development for the area. Hopefully it goes through

Old Posted May 20, 2015, 1:08 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
Tricar Group is proposing a new 30 storey, 315 foot tower at 505 Talbot Street. The proposal is now live on the Urban Design Review website. It's a nice looking tower, not chunky like their other buildngs and incorporates some glass in the building.

http://www.london.ca/business/Planni...5-combined.pdf

Looks great in the rendering. Let's hope that if this goes up, the developers won't pull a Harriston on us and yucko-stucco the whole thing.

Old Posted May 20, 2015, 3:07 PM

Would 315 feet make this the second-tallest building in London? The Renaissance buildings are not quite that high. I don't know about the TD towers or the apartments on Colbourne.

It will be too bad to lose that bar, but the intersection could use this. One thing that comes to my mind right away is that the Dufferin Centre has what I'm sure was once called a "public plaza" on the west side of the lot (northwest corner of Talbot/Dufferin) that works very poorly- it seems to me to be isolated from the street and, though it could have been a real amenity that becomes part of the sidewalk, seems not to be used that way. That irks me because it's such a beautiful part of the downtown in a lot of ways (Talbot, anyway), and some sort of similar space (that works) would be nice on the west side of the intersection.

Old Posted May 20, 2015, 3:24 PM

This will definately be taller than the Colbourne buildings. I'm not sure about the TD towers, but I believe the taller TD tower is 295 feet tall. If I was guessing, I would say this will be the 2nd tallest in London. Also, here's to hoping that when the revised proposal for Rygar is released, it is at least as tall as their first proposal, which was about the same height as OLP.

Old Posted May 20, 2015, 3:48 PM

The Renaissance towers are just over 300ft and the Colborne ones are under 300ft so this would be the new tallest residential tower for sure...not sure if it would be taller than the TD or not but certainly close.

I would think given Tricar's past history and success in London this tower is pretty much a lock to go ahead sooner than later.

Still interested to see Rygar's new proposed design which would be right across the street from this, will see if a battle of tallest comes into play . Also noticed in the documents it states top of penthouse is 315'6" so this could end up slightly taller depending on how the "roof" goes and is measured.

Last edited by MrSlippery519; May 20, 2015 at 4:04 PM.

Old Posted May 20, 2015, 4:08 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I really hope it goes through as depicted. London is almost utterly bereft of quality skyscrapers. Plenty of stucco and commieblock fuglies, alas. And they keep building them (e.g., across from Costco on Wonderland).

Old Posted May 20, 2015, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I really hope it goes through as depicted. London is almost utterly bereft of quality skyscrapers. Plenty of stucco and commieblock fuglies, alas. And they keep building them (e.g., across from Costco on Wonderland).
I think the tall buildings the city has downtown are by-and-large very good. Some are older and so out of style, but it's apparent that they were originally put up with more than just the one criterion ("cheap").

The new stuff at Oxford and Wonderland has no excuse. Cheapest ugliest buildings possible. The vertical slums of the future...today.

MrSlippery519, thanks for the info on the heights of those buildings. I wonder what will happen on the other corner. I hope they both have good street interaction- the tall building on the southeast corner fails this intersection entirely.

Old Posted May 21, 2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillStreetBlues View Post
The new stuff at Oxford and Wonderland has no excuse. Cheapest ugliest buildings possible. The vertical slums of the future...today.

MrSlippery519, thanks for the info on the heights of those buildings. I wonder what will happen on the other corner. I hope they both have good street interaction- the tall building on the southeast corner fails this intersection entirely.
Those building are terrible I cannot believe the city allowed them to build that many ugly buildings so close...granted they are actually nice on the inside, my wife used to live there but dear god they are hideous.

No problem on the heights, still wish someone had a real number for the TD buildings.

Maybe the Black Shire could go into one of the retail spaces below this new tower, would be neat to see that happen and at the end of the day would be great for everyone...granted they would shut down for a year at least.

If both of these towers are build (Rygar) it is going to transform that area of the downtown and further expand the core. This would add 1000+ people easily to downtown

Old Posted May 21, 2015, 10:42 PM

Are there retail spaces in the base? I tried looking for any mention of that and didn't notice anything, however I probably just missed it.

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 6:23 AM
Downtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaradthescot View Post
Are there retail spaces in the base? I tried looking for any mention of that and didn't notice anything, however I probably just missed it.
iConnect is on the Tricar lot and two small accounting firms are on the Rygar lot. If either plot develops then I would assume those businesses would be relocating. Perhaps to the new towers if they are mixed use?

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaradthescot View Post
Are you referring to retail in the base of the new tower? If so the pdf shows the base will have spaces similar to the Renaissance towers so we should see at least 2-3 available spots for something to go in...the pdf is massive so forewarning.

It would be neat to see the Black Shire somehow get into one of those spaces if they could.

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 7:23 PM

I can't seem to get the pic to come up, can someone post it please?

Where about on Talbot is this?

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 8:17 PM

Here are some notes of interest from the meeting (comments from the panel)

• Shift the podium to the west property line
• Consider the construction of underground parking
• Increase the active uses on the ground floor
• Explore ways to consolidate parking access to one entrance
• A height of 30 storeys may not be appropriate
• Decreasing the number of storeys results in a lower parking requirement, which
would decrease the amount of parking in the podium
• Reduce the size of the floor plate
• Setback the tower further away from the base of the podium as the current
setback does not seem adequate to resolve wind issues
• Include second-storey amenity spaces along Talbot Street frontage
• Include a variation in the type of street trees that are planted
• Consider reducing the size of the building to retain one of the heritage buildings
o This could provide a better height transition to the church property
o Could incorporate heritage building into podium
• Consider locating amenity spaces at the corner of Talbot Street and Dufferin
Avenue above the lobby
• Bring banding details from the tower, into the podium to visually connect the
tower to the base of the building
• Play with massing to allow for elements of the tower to connect with the ground

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 10:46 PM
Downtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
• A height of 30 storeys may not be appropriate
ground
30 seems to be the glass ceiling of height restrictions in London

Old Posted May 24, 2015, 2:25 AM
The Vomit Bag.

old ladies scared of the shadows.

Old Posted May 24, 2015, 5:27 AM
Downtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonexport View Post
old ladies scared of the shadows.
+1

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates