HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 10:53 AM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Are you saying there aren't hard liners in favour of renaming schools? There are people on my twitter feed posting pics of 'colonialist' statues they think should be torn down immediately... that's getting pretty close to a Red Guard outlook on things.
Well, the Red Guard tortured and murdered thousands of people so forgive me if comparisons to your Twitter feed feel a little hyperbolic.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 1:11 PM

Quote:
As hard as it is to believe, the last one didn't close until 1996.

Residential schools have to be right up there with the worst, most ill-thought out public policies in Canadian history. A disaster from start to finish. Having kids of my own has made me better appreciate how devastating it must have been for everyone affected.

There's really no debate when it comes to that issue... the question is whether involvement in that system is enough to taint someone to the point that they should no longer be recognized as a historical figure. In my view it isn't, and I don't believe it is appropriate to judge Sir John A. solely through the lens of residential schools.
The worst aspect to residential schools was the abuse committed by guess who....teachers. Maybe the Ontario teachers in their obviously under worked state could devote some attention to bring some of their own to justice.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 1:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Which is fine to a degree. I don't really think bridges/airports/etc. should be named after political figures.

Schools are a whole different ballpark. I attended schools that were named after English monarchs and Saints.
Personally I've always found that we in this country actually have a serious dearth of such names that recall our history. It kind of makes us non-descript. Or as Kool Maudit would say - ahistorical. The land of Forest Valley Drives and Rolling Brook Public Schools.

I don't feel strongly about it and so any change in either direction won't send me marching into the streets or screaming bloody murder.

But it's still the way I think.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GernB View Post
Could also apply to Trudeau Mk.1, as he attempted in 1969 to eliminate Indian Reserves.
Rename the airport and topple the statues. Finally a worthy social cuase.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 1:32 PM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
The worst aspect to residential schools was the abuse committed by guess who....teachers. Maybe the Ontario teachers in their obviously under worked state could devote some attention to bring some of their own to justice.
Well, technically, residential schools were a federal undertaking. Residential school teachers could not have been members of the Ontario teachers union. So, not really "one of their own", strictly speaking. Also, prosecution of crimes is probably best left to the Crown Attorney's offices rather than a teacher's union.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesonov View Post
Well, the Red Guard tortured and murdered thousands of people so forgive me if comparisons to your Twitter feed feel a little hyperbolic.

I didn't say they were torturing and killing anyone...

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 2:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Personally I've always found that we in this country actually have a serious dearth of such names that recall our history. It kind of makes us non-descript. Or as Kool Maudit would say - ahistorical. The land of Forest Valley Drives and Rolling Brook Public Schools.
Oh I don't know, there's a certain panache to names such as "Peoples Collective School #27" or "Proletariat High School". It seems to be what the SJW's want.......

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 2:06 PM
Khan

Quote:

I didn't say they were torturing and killing anyone...
Nope, but that is exactly what references to the Red Guard inevitably conjures. Presumably, the analogy was intended to disparage. Presumably, it was intended to depict those people on your twitter feed as unhinged extremists roaming the countryside burning temples etc.

If you think that the people on your twitter feed are taking an unreasonable position with respect to certain statutes, and would like to discuss it, then let's discuss it.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 2:10 PM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Oh I don't know, there's a certain panache to names such as "Peoples Collective School #27" or "Proletariat High School". It seems to be what the SJW's want.......
... and there's the straw man.

Its frustrating. I don't even support the renaming of Sir John A MacDonald schools (still undecided) but I feel compelled to respond to terrible rhetoric like this. I don't know. I probably shouldn't take the bait. The quality of discourse on this forum just isn't what it used to be.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 2:11 PM

I thought we were discussing it? We're several pages into a thread devoted to the topic.

Anyway, during the Cultural Revolution, certain figures would suddenly fall out of favour for whatever transgression, and their existence would effectively be expunged... that is what this sudden call to start renaming things named after Sir John A. Macdonald feels like. I'm obviously not saying that anyone involved in this dispute is going out to kill people and I'm surprised that the point even has to be made.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 2:21 PM
sick transit, gloria

I'm not sure what happened during the cultural revolution, Stalinist era, etc. is exactly a good analogy for renaming certain schools. I'm sure there's a small percentage of people that do want these figures erased from history, but that is an extreme fringe element. Shouting "SJW!!!" at anyone who wants to have the conversation isn't particularly useful (not that everyone here is doing that, of course).

Other contemporary colonial nations have had, and are currently having this conversation. IIRC both New Zealand and Australia went through waves of renaming sites after aboriginal terms decades ago. Although it seems to be coming to the forefront again.

FWIW I'm not really for the renaming in this case either.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 2:25 PM
Khan

Quote:
I thought we were discussing it? We're several pages into a thread devoted to the topic.
We've only been discussing schools named after Sir John A MacDonald. You are taking issue with calls to remove certain statutes. It is impossible to discuss whether or not those statues should be removed without knowing which statues have been proposed for removal and why.

Quote:
Anyway, during the Cultural Revolution, certain figures would suddenly fall out of favour for whatever transgression, and their existence would effectively be expunged... that is what this sudden call to start renaming things named after Sir John A. Macdonald feels like. I'm obviously not saying that anyone involved in this dispute is going out to kill people and I'm surprised that the point even has to be made.
Here is a brief excerpt from Wikipedia summarizing the activities of the Red Guards:

Quote:
The 11th Plenum of the CPC Central Committee had ratified the 'Sixteen Articles' in August 1966, a document that stated the aims of the Cultural Revolution. It also highlighted the role students would be asked to play in the movement. After the 18 August rally, the Cultural Revolution Group directed the Red Guards to attack the 'Four Olds' of Chinese society (old customs, old culture, old habits and old ideas). For the rest of the year, Red Guards marched across China in a campaign to eradicate the 'Four Olds'. Old books and art were destroyed, museums were ransacked, and streets were renamed with new revolutionary names and adorned with pictures and the sayings of Mao.[12] Many famous temples, shrines, and other heritage sites in Beijing were attacked.[13]

The Cemetery of Confucius was attacked in November 1966 by a team of Red Guards from Beijing Normal University, led by Tan Houlan.[14][15] The corpse of the 76th-generation Duke Yansheng was removed from its grave and hung naked from a tree in front of the palace during the desecration of the cemetery.[16] Attacks on other cultural and historic sites happened between in 1966 and 1967. One of the greater damages was to the Ming Dynasty Tomb of the Wanli Emperor in which his and the empress’s corpses along with a variety of artifacts from the tomb were destroyed by student members of the Red Guard. Between the assaults on Wan Li and Confucius’ tombs alone, more than 6618 historic Chinese artifacts were destroyed in the desire to achieve the goals of the Cultural Revolution.[17]

The property of individuals was also gone after by Red Guard members as well if considered to represent one of the Four Olds. Commonly religious texts and figures would be confiscated and burned. Other times items of historic importance would be left, but defaced, with examples such as Qin Dynasty scrolls having their writings partially removed and stone and wood carvings having the faces and words carved out of them. Re-education came alongside the destruction of previous culture and history, throughout the Cultural Revolution schools were a target of Red Guard groups to teach both the new ideas of the Cultural Revolution; as well as to point out what ideas represented the previous era idealizing the Four Olds. For example, one student, Mo Bo, described a variety of the Red Guards activities taken to teach the next generation what was no longer the norms.[18] This was done according to Bo with wall posters lining the walls of schools pointing out workers who undertook “bourgeois” lifestyles. These actions inspired other students across China to join the Red Guard as well. One of these very people, Rae Yang, described how these actions inspired students. Through authority figures, such as teachers, using their positions as a form of absolute command rather than as educators gave students a reason to believe Red Guard messages.[19] In Yang’s case it is exemplified through a teacher using a poorly phrased statement as an excuse to shame a student to legitimize the teachers own position.

Attacks on culture quickly descended into attacks on people. Ignoring guidelines in the 'Sixteen Articles' that stipulated that persuasion rather than force were to be used to bring about the Cultural Revolution, officials in positions of authority and perceived 'bourgeois elements' were denounced and suffered physical and psychological attacks.[12] On August 22, 1966, a central directive was issued to stop police intervention in Red Guard activities.[20] Those in the police force who defied this notice were labeled "counter-revolutionaries." Mao's praise for rebellion was effectively an endorsement for the actions of the Red Guards, which grew increasingly violent.[21]

Public security in China deteriorated rapidly as a result of central officials lifting restraints on violent behavior.[22] Xie Fuzhi, the national police chief, said it was "no big deal" if Red Guards were beating "bad people" to death.[23] The police relayed Xie's remarks to the Red Guards and they acted accordingly.[23] In the course of about two weeks, the violence left some one hundred teachers, school officials, and educated cadres dead in Beijing's western district alone. The number injured was "too large to be calculated."[22]

The most gruesome aspects of the campaign included numerous incidents of torture, murder, and public humiliation. Many people who were targets of 'struggle' could no longer bear the stress and committed suicide. In August and September 1966, there were 1,772 people murdered in Beijing alone. In Shanghai there were 704 suicides and 534 deaths related to the Cultural Revolution in September. In Wuhan there were 62 suicides and 32 murders during the same period.[24]

Intellectuals were to suffer the brunt of these attacks. Many were ousted from official posts such as university teaching and allocated manual tasks such as "sweeping courtyards, building walls and cleaning toilets from 7am to 5pm daily" which would encourage them to dwell on past "mistakes".[25] An official report in October 1966 reported that the Red Guards had already arrested 22,000 'counterrevolutionaries'.[26]

The Red Guards were also tasked with rooting out 'capitalist roaders' (those with supposed 'right wing' views) in positions of authority. This search was to extend to the very highest echelons of the CPC, with many top party officials, such as Liu Shaoqi, Deng Xiaoping and Peng Dehuai being attacked both verbally and physically by the Red Guards.[27] Liu Shaoqi was especially targeted, as he had taken Mao's seat as Chairman of the People's Republic following the Great Leap Forward. Although Mao stepped down from his post as a sign of accepting responsibility, he was angered that a capitalist roader like Liu could take the reins of communist China.
Do you really feel that the current discussion in Canada about the appropriateness of public statutes commemorating colonial-era leaders is in any meaningful way similar to the above?

I mean, we might as well liken Sir John A MacDonald's execution of Louis Riel to Stalin's purges. They both involved the government executing a political enemy, after all.

The analogies are similarly ridiculous.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 2:31 PM

^ Wikipedia dumping aside, let me just point out that when you say that someone is acting "like" something, that does not mean you are saying that someone is "exactly the same as" that thing. I mean, do you literally believe that anyone thought the Soup Nazi was an actual supporter of the NSDAP?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 2:37 PM
Khan

Quote:
^ Wikipedia dumping aside, let me just point out that when you say that someone is acting "like" something, that does not mean you are saying that someone is "exactly the same as" that thing. I mean, do you literally believe that anyone thought the Soup Nazi was an actual supporter of the NSDAP?
No, you were quite clear: people on Twitter were "getting pretty close to the Red Guards".

You've helped me to make up my mind on this whole Sir John A MacDonald issue:

Sir John A MacDonald "got pretty close" to Stalin and therefore I don't think that he should be commemorated any longer in the names of schools in Canada.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 3:02 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Nope, but that is exactly what references to the Red Guard inevitably conjures. Presumably, the analogy was intended to disparage. Presumably, it was intended to depict those people on your twitter feed as unhinged extremists roaming the countryside burning temples etc.

If you think that the people on your twitter feed are taking an unreasonable position with respect to certain statutes, and would like to discuss it, then let's discuss it.
This aspect of the discussion kinda reminds me of how so many people have labelled Donald Trump a Nazi.

Now, to quote a famous line... I didn't serve with the Nazis. I didn't know the Nazis. And the Nazis were certainly no friends of mine. But I have a hell of a good idea of what the Nazis did. President Donald Trump may be a nasty reprehensible character in my book... but he's no Nazi.

In political discourse at the moment, there is a lot of "yeah, it's not as bad as (insert name of historical bad guy), but that's how it starts..."

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 3:13 PM

Quote:
No, you were quite clear: people on Twitter were "getting pretty close to the Red Guards".

You've helped me to make up my mind on this whole Sir John A MacDonald issue:

Sir John A MacDonald "got pretty close" to Stalin and therefore I don't think that he should be commemorated any longer in the names of schools in Canada.
Not that you'd misquote me or omit the proper context or anything

But anyway, I'm glad I could help you make up your mind on this issue.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 3:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The quality of discourse on this forum just isn't what it used to be.
I wholeheartedly agree. People seem a bit more empowered to express their disagreement with throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Maybe there's hope for our society yet.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 3:19 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Adolf Hitler was a Bayern Munich supporter.

Wait a minute...

Pope Benedict XVI is a Bayern Munich supporter too!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 3:33 PM
Khan

Quote:
Are you saying there aren't hard liners in favour of renaming schools? There are people on my twitter feed posting pics of 'colonialist' statues they think should be torn down immediately... that's getting pretty close to a Red Guard outlook on things.
Quote:
Not that you'd misquote me or omit the proper context or anything
Voila. I'll leave it to other posters/readers to discern the nuance and context that I dishonestly omitted in my reply.

I'm in an irritable mood this morning. I apologize for belaboring my point and derailing the thread.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 3:39 PM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM5 View Post
I wholeheartedly agree. People seem a bit more empowered to express their disagreement with throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Maybe there's hope for our society yet.
I didn't realize that, in the past, posters on this forum felt uncomfortable with expressing their disagreement. That hasn't been my experience at all.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada