HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 6:19 PM
Khurram Parvaz

Zeeyolq's Pictures

Immigrants used to see the Statue of Liberty and Twins. Now they'll see the Statue and 1WTC.

Cesar e Camilla

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 8:15 PM

To expand on a previous topic, I wonder if the spire for 1wtc will ever be modified, to allow for some kind of outdoor viewing pod like halfway up, similar to the CN Tower"s pod? That would be such an amazing, high viewpoint, and might even be better than the old outdoor deck on that the south tower had..While the spire as currently designed may in fact be very narrow, and the roof full of antennas, these things change, to meet the public's demand for more of a thrilling viewing experience...Look at the Sears Tower for instance...granted, it's not outdoor, but they recently added the "Ledge" which visitors can step out in and feel like they are walking on air...Who's to say such modifications won't happen with wtc in future? If not the spire, it seems like maybe they could change the rings that will be on top of the tower to make them into 360-degree, outdoor viewing platforms. That would be equally amazing! Just some ideas on my part...Just based on some other famous skyscrapers modifications, I would not be at all surprised if we do not someday see 1wtc adding outdoor deck of some kind...

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 8:19 PM
WTCEnthusiast/User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
To expand on a previous topic, I wonder if the spire for 1wtc will ever be modified, to allow for some kind of outdoor viewing pod like halfway up, similar to the CN Tower"s pod? That would be such an amazing, high viewpoint, and might even be better than the old outdoor deck on that the south tower had..While the spire as currently designed may in fact be very narrow, and the roof full of antennas, these things change, to meet the public's demand for more of a thrilling viewing experience...Look at the Sears Tower for instance...granted, it's not outdoor, but they recently added the "Ledge" which visitors can step out in and feel like they are walking on air...Who's to say such modifications won't happen with wtc in future? If not the spire, it seems like maybe they could change the rings that will be on top of the tower to make them into 360-degree, outdoor viewing platforms. That would be equally amazing! Just some ideas on my part...Just based on some other famous skyscrapers modifications, I would not be at all surprised if we do not someday see 1wtc adding outdoor deck of some kind...
That would be awesome although unlikely. I've been to the CN tower and that view is incredible.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 9:20 PM
Bionic Boogie

a break in the fog / clouds...

DSC_5466 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr

DSC_5468 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 9:29 PM
Khurram Parvaz

If today was the last snow of Winter 2011/2012 I wouldn't be surprised. It hasn't snowed at all this winter (good for construction though).

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 10:05 PM

I have been reading this thread for awhile now..

I hope this is not off topic, I hope..

But I used a lot of the photo's in this thread...

I am new to this forum, I live in Spokane.

I am a 3d Modeler, Texture Artist.

And This has been a very informative Thread.

And there are some fantastic Photos of the Project.

Thank you, to all the people for sharing there photo's and video's

I started Modeling a Crane in 3D, and this site and thread came up in the Referance Photo's, I was looking for..

And have been building a Manitowoc 18000 Crawler Crane, It is almost completed, getting close anyways...

I just wanted to say thank you..

And if i need to give credit I will..

Michael Nicholson

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewex View Post
Geez the pollution looks aweful in this picture......i thought they had done things to improve it?
um, it is greatly improved. as is the air quality in all US cities over the past 20-30 years. It's called the Clean Air Act, and it worked. You see a common inversion layer. Check out other cities in the world this size

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 10:25 PM

Wow- that's an awesome 3-d model of the Manitowoc 18000. This crane was in use on the site untiil fairly recently, first helping in the initial construction of 1WTC and later the early stages of the transit hub. If you can model a crane with this high detail then modeling the buildings ought to be a piece of cake, should you choose to do so!

Also welcome to the forum!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D_CG_Modeler View Post

I started Modeling a Crane in 3D, and this site and thread came up in the Referance Photo's, I was looking for..

And have been building a Manitowoc 18000 Crawler Crane, It is almost completed, getting close anyways...

Michael Nicholson
World class,I guess you're going to be STRs best friend.check his renderings,pretty awesome.Also,you're impact on this site will be incredible like STRs

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 11:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlippo1 View Post
um, it is greatly improved. as is the air quality in all US cities over the past 20-30 years. It's called the Clean Air Act, and it worked. You see a common inversion layer. Check out other cities in the world this size
NY's air quality is among the best of US cities because it has vast mass transit (unlike most US cities in which people drive SUVs). Also, because it's old, NYC is surrounded by very green suburbs with huge trees. By contrast, most US suburbs are filled with new, treeles subdivisions.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 12:11 AM
Astorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D_CG_Modeler View Post

Michael Nicholson

Glad to have you here! Amazing work, can't wait to see what else you'll come up with and show us!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CClaudio21 View Post
That would be awesome although unlikely. I've been to the CN tower and that view is incredible.

I too have been to the CN tower and it is an amazing view, unique because of the pod..I wish they would consider modifying 1wtc someday to put a deck on the spire or at least making one of those parapets into a 360 degree open deck. That would be amazing!!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
I too have been to the CN tower and it is an amazing view, unique because of the pod..I wish they would consider modifying 1wtc someday to put a deck on the spire or at least making one of those parapets into a 360 degree open deck. That would be amazing!!
Once again there isn't enough room. NYC has helicopter tours. If you want you can fly in one. They go higher than the observation decks and fly around the World Trade Center. You would be amazed. I remember reading that they go up to 1,500 feet.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 1:00 AM
An Optimistic Realist

That's an idea I had too. We'll have to wait through until another building in NY can take all the broadcasting purposes away from 1 WTC. Then modification can be an option.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
That's an idea I had too. We'll have to wait through until another building in NY can take all the broadcasting purposes away from 1 WTC. Then modification can be an option.
That isn't going to happen. There is no room in NYC for a 2,000 foot tall skyscraper. Many buildings like the Hudson Yards only reach 1,200 feet. As someone that is taking architecture classes it is just physically impossible. There is no room for a tall observation deck on the World Trade Center.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
That isn't going to happen. There is no room in NYC for a 2,000 foot tall skyscraper. Many buildings like the Hudson Yards only reach 1,200 feet. As someone that is taking architecture classes it is just physically impossible. There is no room for a tall observation deck on the World Trade Center.
Well said,I mean going by my logic it's impossible.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 2:25 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
I never said a 2,000 foot skyscraper. Just one in the 1,400 - 1,600 line or more. Besides, we're going off topic. 1 WTC won't be the tallest in NYC forever. There will be a tower that will succeed it. Maybe not right at the minute this tower is finished,but in the future, we'll be seeing a proposal pass through.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
I never said a 2,000 foot skyscraper. Just one in the 1,400 - 1,600 line or more. Besides, we're going off topic. 1 WTC won't be the tallest in NYC forever. There will be a tower that will succeed it. Maybe not right at the minute this tower is finished,but in the future, we'll be seeing a proposal pass through.
Then why won't it have an observation deck? A 2,000 foot tall skyscraper would have an observation deck at roughly that height.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 2:57 AM
BANNED

CNN showed the World Trade Center in the background when they were filming peoples reactions on Whitney Houston's death! If anyone has snapshots of it, please post them!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Then why won't it have an observation deck? A 2,000 foot tall skyscraper would have an observation deck at roughly that height.
I agree. If a tower was built taller than 1wtc, and 1wtc already has all the equipment up there, why would you waste the money on taking it down and putting it on another building. It would make more sense that the observation deck would go on the taller building, and it would have better views, so it works better for everyone. So that said, 1wtc will never have a roof observation deck

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive