HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverberation View Post
I want to drop into this.

I have lived in Houston for a while, went to school in Dallas for a bit and now I am in Clemson, which is pretty similar to Atlanta climate wise.

Dallas:
(Summer) Hot, Windy, Dry
(Winter) Really Windy, Cold, Dry
When it rains it pours. Rarely did I see steady rain, it was either drizzle or downpour.

Houston:
(Summer) Humid and rainy early, more like Dallas in July, August
(Winter) Cool and wet or warm and dry. Cold Wind.

Clemson (near Atlanta):
(Summer) dry or humid depending on the day, more haze and trees and less wind.
(Winter) Alternates between F*ng cold and pleasant.

All I can say is life is much better in the summer in all of these places if you have access to a pool.
If you think its cold in ANY of those cities in the winter, then DO NOT move any further north. i've lived in Ohio for a few years and also DC, and the winters are brutal compared to anything in the south. I mean its colder in Ohio in OCTOBER than it is in January in Atlanta from my experience.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisMolotov View Post
I didn't read the entire thread so I don't know if this has been discussed, but what happens when all these southern cities start running out of water? I'm sure that places like Atlanta and Florida, and maybe even Houston will be fine, but places that are growing fast now like Phoenix, Las Vegas, and the Southwest? Where do you think all the people will go to next?
I don't know how much this has been studied but I wouldn't be surprised if water desalinization plants is what ends up saving southern cities running out of water. It seems like the next logical step to me.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 5:02 PM
Respect My Authorit-I!

It's not really southern cities with water problems...I don't know of another situation like Atlanta's, but there may be others like it. I think the desert cities and the southwestern part of the country may have a bigger issue with water.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 1:32 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMidtowner View Post
I don't know how much this has been studied but I wouldn't be surprised if water desalinization plants is what ends up saving southern cities running out of water. It seems like the next logical step to me.
They better start cranking tons more money into the constructing and operation of these plants, because the technology isn't cheap in the least. This isn't SimCity we're talking about.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2007, 6:01 PM

Houston has plenty of water. We get it from Lake Houston and Lake Conroe (I think Lake Conroe, I'm not sure).

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post

So, the area does have hills...not as much (or even close) as ATL though.
Where is this?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 1:35 AM

Southwest Dallas.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2007, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
They better start cranking tons more money into the constructing and operation of these plants, because the technology isn't cheap in the least. This isn't SimCity we're talking about.
Money isn't the issue now, and it won't be the issue once economics plays into it all. The real obstacle is environmental. There are already several in Florida, and from what I hear, it was a real battle just to build two that operate in the Tampa Bay Area.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 10:19 PM

There are a LOT of people who just hate cold weather.
And while the summers here can be a challenge (so far not this one) the winters are simply wonderful. I'm not saying that's why I live here, but it's a big plus to me.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
It's currently 40F in NYC and 48F in ATL. How is that a substantial difference?

Someone who doesn't like the current temp in NYC will not be much happier in ATL.
I agree. I've lived here since 1983 having moved from Northern KY which gets plenty of cold and snow. While Atlanta is easily milder than the northern states, it is by no means without bitter cold snaps. We get into the teens several times per winter and we do get the occasional snow. OUr biggest threat are ice storms which we didn't get too often in KY but get down here at least a small one every winter.

So if you want a warmer climate, yes we are a little warmer. But if you are seriously coming south to avoid the cold, Atlanta isn't the best choice.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 7:32 PM

True, but it's also not unsual in Atlanta for the weather to be in the mid 60's in January. And we haven't had snow accumulate in a couple of years now.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 10:20 PM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticman View Post
I agree. I've lived here since 1983 having moved from Northern KY which gets plenty of cold and snow. While Atlanta is easily milder than the northern states, it is by no means without bitter cold snaps. We get into the teens several times per winter and we do get the occasional snow. OUr biggest threat are ice storms which we didn't get too often in KY but get down here at least a small one every winter.

So if you want a warmer climate, yes we are a little warmer. But if you are seriously coming south to avoid the cold, Atlanta isn't the best choice.
You must know that you can't compare temperatures on one single day in order to compare climates...that's absurd. You have to compare months or years worth of days to get a correct reading.

Spring, Summer, and Fall weather in Atlanta lasts from late February through mid-November. That doesn't mean there are never below-freezing temperatures in March or November, but the majority of those days are nice and warm, just like about half the days in December and January. With a few exceptions, you can wear shorts/t-shirts out of the gym to go home in with no problem for the entire year in Atlanta.

Ice storms are not common in Atlanta. They happen, but are quite uncommon.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
You must know that you can't compare temperatures on one single day in order to compare climates...that's absurd. You have to compare months or years worth of days to get a correct reading.

Spring, Summer, and Fall weather in Atlanta lasts from late February through mid-November. That doesn't mean there are never below-freezing temperatures in March or November, but the majority of those days are nice and warm, just like about half the days in December and January. With a few exceptions, you can wear shorts/t-shirts out of the gym to go home in with no problem for the entire year in Atlanta.

Ice storms are not common in Atlanta. They happen, but are quite uncommon.
Absurd is reading more into my post than is there. I'm not talking about climate overall. I dont know how old you are or how long you've been in this area but I've lived here 25 years just outside Athens. We don't get much snow, particularly in the last four or five years. This last few years has been the least amount of snow I can remember.

But in no way are ice storms "uncommon"...but are in fact "common" to this area. I guess it depends on your definition of "common" but once a year is often enough in my book to be labeled common. We had one last year, the year before that, the year before that. We've had more than one per year several times in the last 25 years. They aren't always the major tree snapping kind but ice is ice. Last years was lame. The year before that we had the kind that you can hear limbs crashing in the woods.

I agree winters are much milder here overall than they are even as far south as Tennessee, particularly in the mountains of East Tennessee where they get huge snows.

My point (again) is that if you are looking to escape cold and ice and snow, northern Georgia isn't quite far enough south.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 8:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles, CA
Been there done that

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 10:54 PM
Man of Many Statistics

Just a note. Today's high was 77 degrees. (Average: 57 Last Record: 71). All sun of course. I'm not sure I should have unpacked my winter clothes... at least humidity is low.

Don't hold your breath for snow this year...

Old Posted Dec 15, 2007, 8:04 PM
Accountz Payabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticman View Post
I guess it depends on your definition of "common" but once a year is often enough in my book to be labeled common.

By that definition it's 'commonly' Christmas. I snows maybe once a year in Seattle, too, is snow common in Seattle?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2007, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
By that definition it's 'commonly' Christmas. I snows maybe once a year in Seattle, too, is snow common in Seattle?
You are trying to mis-equate the word "common" with the word "often". Yes Christmas is common. It happens every year, it can be expected. The same for an ice storm here in Georgia.

People don't usually get the flu but once per year and only a % get the flu at all yet flu is a considered common.

A small % of American's drive Humvees yet they are common to see on the interstate.

Again...it's all about how one defines common.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2007, 8:12 PM

Snow and/or ice of any consequence is NOT common in Atlanta. Having been here for over 30 years, I have seen many stretches where there was no snow or ice. There may be a few back to back (yearly) occurances of a snow or ice event but that is rare. The last time I remember ice or snow of any consequence took place in January of 2005. We are about to go into January 2008. This would make ice or snow uncommon in Atlanta. Unless I was asleep at the wheel for a few years, I cannot remember ice or snow here in Atlanta since January 2005.

An overnight dusting of snow (which is gone by 10am that morning), snow flurries or a few pellets of sleet mixed with rain do not count.

For the record, I live about 32-35 miles due north of downtown Atlanta.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 12:30 AM
Go Thrashers

Ice storms are more common in the piedmont region than most other regions in the country.
We may not always have accumulating snow, but snow falls from the sky every year.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
He did, but cut him some slack. Hot and flat will suffice. Annual average precipitation:

Atlanta: 56.43 inches
Dallas: 18.97 inches
Houston: 41.21 inches

Maybe we could say

Dallas: Hot, Flat, Dry
Houston: Hot, Flat, Humid
Atlanta: Not as Hot as either, Rolling and Hilly, not as Dry or Humid
I sort of dug this out after reading through the thread, but your average rainfall for Dallas is WAY off. It's 37.1 inches.

" There is only one duty, only one safe course, and that is to try to be right and not fear to do or say what you believe." - Winston Churchill

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States