HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

50 West in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 5:02 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adyton View Post
Just south of this 50 West Street tower will be this 60 story beauty by Frank Williams right above the Battery Park tunnel entrance:

http://www.archfwa.com/default.aspx?...ct=558&focus=1

What a wonderful combo!
Wasn't sure if that one was being built, but they will make an awsome combo.
That corridoor will have a great concentration of residential towers...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 3:26 PM
Time/Space

^ That will be awesome!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 4:36 PM

So this makes three 50+ story bldgs. either under construction, 123 Washington/4 Albany ,or, proposed, 111 Washington, and now 50 West Street, on the west side of downtown below the WTC. Is that right? So hard to keep up!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 6:38 PM

Talking

That's four (4) 50+ story buildings.

The Jahn 69 story tower will replace the 12 story building on the corner just north (left) of the battery tunnel 60 story tower designed by Frank Williams.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 6:50 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adyton View Post
That's four (4) 50+ story buildings.

The Jahn 69 story tower will replace the 12 story building on the corner just north (left) of the battery tunnel 60 story tower designed by Frank Williams.
Not to mention 10 Barclay and Silverstein's 60-story residential going up just north of the WTC. And there's also Gehry's 74-story tower to the east. Who needs residential on ground zero itself? All of those calls for it were premature.

I like the way these 2 towers will contrast each other.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 11:56 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Who needs residential on ground zero itself? All of those calls for it were premature.

I like the way these 2 towers will contrast each other.

People should remember that the Free Market will deliver far more housing AND office space to New York than any government body like the PA or LMDC ever could. Just look at the incredible explosion of development going on all over New York, when only 24 months ago naysayers were all dire warnings of office gluts!

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 12:10 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
Just look at the incredible explosion of development going on all over New York, when only 24 months ago naysayers were all dire warnings of office gluts!
Especially where the WTC was concerned, yet the new space already planned for Midtown is more than twice the amount...

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 11:56 AM
New Yorker for life

May as well add 123 Washington...

[img]

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 1:37 PM
Time/Space

Quote:
I wonder if the building on the corner, right underneath the circle you made, will be demolished for this tower. Looks like this one takes a big parcel.

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 4:56 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Nice. Reminds me of King West in Toronto:
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 9:41 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jularc View Post
I wonder if the building on the corner, right underneath the circle you made, will be demolished for this tower. Looks like this one takes a big parcel.
I need to look at that location a little more closely next time Im there. You have four decent sized residential towers going up there on what is basically just a block long stretch. I don't know what the 50-story tower at 111 Washington will look like though.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 1:30 AM
Boy-o-Brooklyn

i like it, simple and sophisticated. let's just hope the rendering does some justice.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 1:45 AM
Frigidus Maximus

Speaking of the LMDC... weren't they supposed to go out of business? I guess Spitzer decided to keep them around?

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 12:19 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
Speaking of the LMDC... weren't they supposed to go out of business? I guess Spitzer decided to keep them around?
He did, and named a new head not long ago.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 7:21 PM
World Machine

From what I hear they are actually headquartered in 1 Liberty Plaza. That tells me there not going anywhere anytime soon.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 1:40 PM
New Yorker for life

More on Downtown's booming residential market...
http://nymag.com/news/intelligencer/31826/

Great Wall Street
Downtown as Asian bedroom community.

By Arianne Cohen

(Photo: Lauren Lancaster/Veras Images)

As more and more people move into the office-tower wastelands of the financial district, the area is also, curiously, becoming increasingly Asian. A new census commissioned to study the impact of 9/11 on lower Manhattan, covering all neighborhoods south of Canal Street excluding almost all of Chinatown, found that the white population grew by 15 percent while the Asian population ballooned by 35 percent from 2000 to 2005. Now East and South Asians make up nearly one third of downtown Manhattan.

The rest of the city is only 10 percent Asian. “It’s dramatic,” says Arun Lobo, deputy population-division director at the Department of City Planning, who co-authored the study.

The new demographics are a surprise to city planners, real-estate agents, and even Asians who live downtown. “Whoa, that’s a lot!” says Valerie Lai, 28, who lives at 99 John Street. “I am noticing a lot of young Asians around. It wasn’t like that when I first moved here a couple years ago.” For younger Asians, the financial district is the center of the boom. “My building is largely Asian, and I have no idea why,” says John Provenzano, who lives in the Crest Building at 63 Wall Street. “I thought it was surprising when I moved in. But it’s normal on my block. It’s mostly young Chinese and Koreans.” Nearly all Asian downtowners (95 percent) are American-born—60 percent are Chinese, 15 percent are Korean, 9 percent are Indian.

Everyone has a theory. “I think it has to do with the people now working in the financial district,” says Lobo. Real-estate agents point to the Chinese predilection for new condos. “Chinese culture believes in ownership of real estate. It’s difficult for them to understand co-op policy,” says Cindy Yin, a Douglas Elliman real-estate agent with a large Chinese clientele. “They have a tendency to look only at condos.” Others, like Lai, point to the youthful allure of cheap luxury buildings in proximity to nightlife. Many of the new Asian residents are homeowners. “Young Chinese people invest a lot more in real estate than Americans,” says Yin. “At least 35 to 40 percent of my clients are parents buying for children.” Meanwhile, other downtown neighborhoods remain status quo. “I certainly would not agree with those statistics in my neighborhood,” says Sonali Das, 28, a Tribeca resident. “Tribeca’s pretty homogenous, in terms of being a lot of wealthy, predominantly Caucasian people. I was watching a school get out yesterday, and I hate to say it, but the area’s very geared toward Caucasians.”

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 2:29 PM
Go Pens!

Quote:
May as well add 123 Washington...

[img]
Sweet! These will look great together & with (mostly) everything else being built!

I like the Frank Williams because it has some tapering/crown etc - not just a box. It echos some of the older architecture in the area. Anyone have a height (in feet) guess for this??

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 2:35 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANKofMANHATTAN View Post
I like the Frank Williams because it has some tapering/crown etc - not just a box. It echos some of the older architecture in the area.
That's true, it looks like it belongs in that area. I'm not sure about the height.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 5:57 PM
RePpiN GR sTreeTz !

Quote:
East and South Asians make up nearly one third of downtown Manhattan.
Wow, thats nuts. Very cool.

-FerrariEnzo is the coolest forumer ever.

[>>]-Grand Rapids Boom Rundown-[<<]

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 12:29 AM

Location of the FAR right tower

The Jahn tower... the far right of the 3 images above, will be located on the corner of West Street north (left) of the Frank Williams' 60 story tower above Battery park Tunnel. So, the two will look quite striking together!

Last edited by Adyton; May 16, 2007 at 12:38 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive