HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 1, 2016, 1:38 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Struggling malls tend to have these extra revenue streams - a way of getting patrons to pay for using the mall without increasing rents. Almost every dying mall contains one or more of the following:

- Kiddie rides
- Bank of gumball machines
- Arcade games such as the claw

They are all good ways to help strengthen cash flow for REITs.
You forgot the coin op Laz-E-Boy massage chairs. Around here, dead malls are senior centres.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
You forgot the coin op Laz-E-Boy massage chairs. Around here, dead malls are senior centres.
I didn't include those because I've seen those at some successful malls as well

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 1:56 AM

Cobourg's Mall (Northumberland Mall) is dying. Hard to compete with the larger nearby malls in the GTA, Peterborough, Belleville. The loss of Zellers really hurt it, Dollarama took up some of that space but doesn't have an actual mall connection. Sears is rumored to be closing and SportChek wants to build in a new location. One bit of good news is that a few of stores relocated downtown.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 2:02 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
yup. they are clustered at one end of the nearly dead Westmount Mall (aka Westmount Shopping Centre) in London, adjacent to the shuttered Target.

filled with oldies doing their indoor walking tracks. The rest of the mall is practically deserted.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 1:19 PM
The Vomit Bag.

coming soon to a dead mall near you:

sankoamusements

shitter

And desperation advertising:

westmountmall (London)
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Almost every dying mall contains one or more of the following:

- Kiddie rides
- Bank of gumball machines
- Arcade games such as the claw

They are all good ways to help strengthen cash flow for REITs.
LOL. I nearly spat up my drink reading this nugget. Even if it's true, it's funny to imagine a financial statement where under Revenues they have "Krazy Krane.....$26.45"

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 4:28 PM
The Vomit Bag.

London shopping centre named to 'incredibly desolate dead' mall list, fights back

Toronto Metro

http://www.metronews.ca/news/london/...ghts-back.html

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 4:31 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Any word on the old Parkway Mall in Saint John, NB?

labelscar

http://www.labelscar.com/canada/parkway-mall

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 4:41 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
London shopping centre named to 'incredibly desolate dead' mall list, fights back

Toronto Metro

http://www.metronews.ca/news/london/...ghts-back.html
Lol at the article from 2014. So how did that whole Target thing work out for them?

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Any word on the old Parkway Mall in Saint John, NB?

labelscar

http://www.labelscar.com/canada/parkway-mall
not well. Everyone goes across the street to McAllister Place, the "real" mall in the city.

Saint John is a pretty small city, its only really big enough for one mall. Especially not two malls literally across the street from each other.

Parkway operates more like a strip plaza today. All the stores of note have direct access to the parking lot. I've never even been inside the internal hallway actually, despite having visited it multiple times.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 5:26 PM
The Vomit Bag.

How neighbourhood malls are struggling to survive

Five Points Mall, Oshawa

theStar

Whitby Mall:

theStar

Kipling Kingsway Mall:

theStar

yes, Ladies and Gentlemen, it is the world-famous Honeydale mall:

urbantoronto.ca

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 5:47 PM

Bigger malls in the Greater Toronto area and Greater Vancouver area though seem to be doing really well. When I go there, many are often packed.

Smaller malls and mid-sized ones though have tougher luck.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 5:58 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Saint John is a pretty small city, its only really big enough for one mall. Especially not two malls literally across the street from each other.
Halifax has this setup too. The reason why this happened is that Simpsons, which later became Sears, set up on one side of the street as a standalone department store on a streetcar line. It gradually grew into a postwar shopping mall and Eaton's anchored another mall across the street. Maybe Saint John was the same.

The mall that used to have Eaton's has since gone upscale and the other mall is mostly offices now.

Another weird anachronism was two high schools right next to each other. They were both non-denominational in more recent decades but at one point one of them was Catholic.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 6:17 PM

Malls are designed so that people walk to/from the anchors, which are the department stores. The death of many department stores (e.g. Zellers/Target) means the death of malls too. For smaller malls, the loss of even one anchor can be devastating.That's why there are power centres, with no need for anchor tenants, designed instead for people to drive from store to store instead of walking. People complain about malls, but I think power centres are much worse.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 6:27 PM

Quote:
How neighbourhood malls are struggling to survive

Five Points Mall, Oshawa

theStar

Whitby Mall:

theStar

Kipling Kingsway Mall:

theStar

yes, Ladies and Gentlemen, it is the world-famous Honeydale mall:

urbantoronto.ca
You found some wonderful malls there. I used to live near Honeydale (and Cloverdale Mall) but it seemed that in that area Sherway Gardens was the top of the totem poll of malldom.

Does anyone have pictures/recollections of Bridlewood Mall in Scarborough, the mall with a cemetary in the parking lot? Same with Agincourt Mall both of which I recall from my teens.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 6:51 PM

This mall in downtown Ottawa has a packed food court during the weekday lunch hour however, it is otherwise dead. Once the Confederation Line opens sometime in 2018, it will direct thousands of commuters to street level.

The underground mall connects 3 office tower, a four story office building (for over a million square feett total) and two hotels (close to 1,000 rooms). It also has an abandoned movie theater (chance for revival with the arrival of the train?)

The complex, called Place de Ville, will have two entrances to Lyon station; one at the base of the Podium building, the other inside the underground mall (a third entrance will be located across the street).

Too bad they didn't renovate the mall in anticipation for the O-Train's opening.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
Bigger malls in the Greater Toronto area and Greater Vancouver area though seem to be doing really well. When I go there, many are often packed.

Smaller malls and mid-sized ones though have tougher luck.
This seems to be the general trend... the biggest malls that have the biggest retail draws (Apple store and other such popular boutique shops) are thriving, but it's that second and third tier of malls that have really suffered.

If you look back at late 1980s Winnipeg when mall retailing was at its peak, you had about 7 or 8 major malls that were roughly competitive with each other. These days it's 2, maybe 3 big malls that really dominate as retail draws, with the rest just sort of hanging in there. The numbers are larger in bigger cities, but I think the same concept generally prevails.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 8:23 PM
I am the law!

Kipling Queensway has the only open Zellers I know of in the city. It's a Bay clearance outlet now.

Some malls were left to rot. The owners of Honeydale have only been interested in replacing it with up to 5000 condo units for the past 20 years.

Both Bridletowne and Agincourt have redevelopment plans as high rise condo communities.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Both Bridletowne and Agincourt have redevelopment plans as high rise condo communities.
In that area, there are lots of small sized ethnic (mainly East Asian) small malls and plazas too -- I wonder what their long-term trajectory will be, if they will continue to persist amidst redevelopment or if they'll be replaced also in future years.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 9:03 PM

For years I've wondered how the stores in the Whitby mall make any money. If it weren't for the passport office and medical facilities I don't think anyone would go there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada