HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 2:26 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The Port Authority could have done a reality show to see who will take charge of the Freedom Tower, with Donald Trump as host...
Thanks for the article, but pleeeeease... please stop calling it the Freedom Tower. That was a name George WWIII Bush used as propaganda. The name is 1 World Trade Center.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 2:35 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC View Post
Thanks for the article, but pleeeeease... please stop calling it the Freedom Tower. That was a name George WWIII Bush used as propaganda. The name is 1 World Trade Center.
No, the name is One World Trade Center. 1 World Trade Center is the address.

Yes, I agree, it's not the Freedom Tower anymore.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 3:00 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWorldTradeCenter View Post
No, the name is One World Trade Center. 1 World Trade Center is the address.

Yes, I agree, it's not the Freedom Tower anymore.
Thanks. Now we all know the official name.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 3:07 PM

Freedom tower
Freedom tower
Freedom tower

I will call it what i want, thank you.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 3:15 PM

I believe people can and should call the Tower whatever they choose whether it be "Freedom Tower" or "One World Trade Center." The Original World Trade Center had a variety of names such as "Twin Towers," "World Trade Center," "North Tower," "South Tower," "WTC 1," "WTC 2," etc. I think Freedom Tower is the name tourists will choose to use for it just as Twin Towers were a popular name by tourists. What bothers me to this day is how the Port Authority refused to rebuild the Twin Towers, but they had no problem using the same name and everything for this Complex. Then again, what else can you call it right.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Freedom tower
Freedom tower
Freedom tower

I will call it what i want, thank you.
See there you go!!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 3:52 PM

me i am now calling the tower, Tower 1v2 short for Tower 1version2.

does anybody have a new updated picture from morangello, cause i reall would like to see that view of the tower.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Please leave your views out of this. This forum should be a-political. Aside from that, I call it the Freedom Tower.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 11:36 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrobnorcott View Post
Please leave your views out of this. This forum should be a-political. Aside from that, I call it the Freedom Tower.
Thanks, person with one post.

These new floors will finally make the building taller than it is wide. Now it won't look like the Borg ship anymore.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 12:07 AM
Resident Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrobnorcott View Post
Please leave your views out of this. This forum should be a-political.
You're right, welcome to SSP

Quote:
Aside from that, I call it the Freedom Tower.
You could call it Jim if you really want to, but the building's name is 1 WTC

Quote:
Thanks, person with one post.
Be nice to the n00b

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 1:34 AM
Registirred User

To me, Freedom Tower sounds like something Stephen Colbert's character would have named the tower should he be given the opportunity to name it. I much prefer One World Trade Center. It sounds serious and more down to business.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 1:54 AM
Ex Houstonian

Freedom Tower just sounds so redneck and republican. Ill never refer to it as the Freedom Tower, it will always be 1 WTC.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 5:49 PM
Ex Houstonian

Im so glad they totally scrapped the name Freedom Tower, god that was so cheesy, thanks for the video NYGuy, very informative.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 7:43 PM
Never Dell

It was a cheesy, right wing name. The intent was to imply that "freedom" had something to do with 9/11. I'll call it by its real name.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2010, 12:11 AM
All-American City Boy

I thought the term "freedom" was applied to the building because of it's designated 1776' height, a reference to the American Declaration of Independence. There was certainly very little "freedom" involved with the design of the building. =/
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 8:47 AM
Seek The Upward Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Guesstimate...

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...dom_tower.html

Conde Nast, Port Authority reach deal for media giant's move to Freedom Tower

By Douglas Feiden
August 3rd 2010
Oh, are they still calling this embarrassment "Freedom Tower"? I thought they'd backed away from that and were just calling it 1 WTC.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 9:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
Oh, are they still calling this embarrassment "Freedom Tower"? I thought they'd backed away from that and were just calling it 1 WTC.
"Freedom Tower" is just a publicity name.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 6:40 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.observer.com/2010/commerc...ne-world-trade

The Broker Who Would Fill One World Trade

By Jotham Sederstrom
September 7, 2010

Quote:
It was only two weeks until the ninth anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, and, needless to say, the woman now charged with leasing office space at One World Trade Center was dealing with a congested appointment book.

Media requests for walking tours at the building, now standing 36 stories, had reached capacity. Arrangements with the Durst Organization, an equity partner alongside the Port Authority, were finally coming to a close. And potential tenants were arriving daily to a site that, just four years ago, was little more than a patch of sacred soil.

But for Tara Stacom, a vice chairman at Cushman & Wakefield who juggles a portfolio of 11 million square feet, the frenetic pace of activity at what is arguably the most highly anticipated office and retail development in the world is nothing short of joyous.

"It's my baby," said Ms. Stacom, 52, a second-generation real estate agent who joined Cushman as a broker in 1981. "It's a lot of people's baby, but it rises and changes on a weekly basis."

Originally branded the "Freedom Tower," the building now known as One World Trade Center is scheduled for completion in 2013. When finished, the 104-story skyscraper will boast 2.9 million square feet of office and retail space, while also distinguishing itself as the tallest in North America.

Already, the publisher Condé Nast has signed a letter of intent to relocate its headquarters and nearly 20 magazine titles into about 1 million square feet of office space in the building. That announcement, made last month, follows similar agreements by the General Services Administration, the New York State Office of General Services and the Vantone Industrial Co., a Beijing-based group that intends to create a 191,000-square-foot cultural and business hub for Chinese companies.

"We are seeing an unusual array of tenant mix for downtown Manhattan, which is typically financial services," said Ms. Stacom, who says that the interest in the tower among potential tenants far outstrips the available square footage.

"We're seeing interest from the media world and also the publishing world, naturally," she added, "but it's also the insurance firms and the big banking institutions, which have been the traditional sectors down in the area."

Ms. Stacom and her team at Cushman became involved with the One World Trade Center account in 2007, after an earlier leasing assignment at 20 Times Square above the Port Authority of New York-New Jersey's bus terminal. As she describes it, however, the new relationship did not come without a struggle, as competition was fierce.

"Everyone in the industry responded," recalled Ms. Stacom during an hour-long interview in her Sixth Avenue office in midtown last week. "It was really quite significant. It was more than a handful—it was between one and two handfuls."

...Although the family patriarch is 92 years old and semi-retired, he is still a fountain of wisdom, said Ms. Stacom. Indeed, in the early days of One World Trade Center's conception, when it was still referred to as the Freedom Tower, Ms. Stacom called her father for advice—a wise idea, it turned out.

"As you well know, the building was known as Freedom Tower, and the one thing I felt initially was that the name had to go," said Ms. Stacom, whose father acted as the leasing agent for the Sears Tower in Chicago, renowned as the country's tallest.

"As Chris Ward, head of the Port Authority said, 'This is not about freedom,'" Ms. Stacom continued. "'A building doesn't establish one's freedom. It's the wrong association.' And, in trying to pick a name, we interviewed a lot of ad agencies. But I called Dad: 'What do you think the name should be?' And within minutes, he said, 'It's easy: It should be One World.' And all the ad agencies, who spent hours and hours on this, eventually said it should be One World. But my father got it on the spot. So, yeah, I've asked for advice."

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2010, 7:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC4Life View Post
WCBS-TV NEW YORK

1 WTC, aka Freedom Tower, Reaches Halfway Mark
December 16, 2010 4:42 PM

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/12/...-halfway-mark/

New Yorkers pass the rising tower of One World Trade Center, Thursday, Dec. 16, 2010 in New York. The tower is halfway to the 104 floors it will have upon completion, scheduled for 2013. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan)

(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
A lot of iconic buildings, sports teams, exc have more than one name. I love that people are still calling it the freedom tower. When it's done, I think its going to become such a huge Icon to everyone in the country and linked to freedom, that the name will become even more popular. To me, that's the way it should be. It's too big and to important to have just one name.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2010, 9:01 AM
DENNAB

I think the name freedom tower should be forgotten forever...not only is it cheesy, tacky and downright stupid, it's not even called that anymore

1WTC it shall always be

it's silly how they think that the fact that it has reached the 52nd floor means its halfway, they have no idea how to measure in feet...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture