HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 2:16 AM

Is the 36 square feet inside the spire. Or an external catwalk?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
Is the 36 square feet inside the spire. Or an external catwalk?
I would imagine it to be inside the spire; 36 sqft is way too small for a catwalk around the spire.

I was also wondering, wasn't the antennae enclosed in some shell in many of the previous versions? Why did they choose to expose them all of the sudden now. It seems to be much more aesthetically pleasing for all of them to be enclosed in some architectural element as in the earlier version.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 2:24 AM
Honored Member

Internal platform. It is not an antenna, it is a spire, no antenna in the world weighs over one ton per foot. It is enclosed , wraped in, a skin. Almost double the diamater of the structure.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 2:31 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Wow really that's the reason?. I didn't know that till now. Can't they built an open air observation deck on some other tower at the World Trade Center Site. Three, and Four W.T.C. seem like good candidates for one.
WTC 2 has open space under its spire. Maybe they can used that as a outdoor ob. Would be the highest in the city,and provide views of the Brooklyn,and Manhattan bridges that the Original WTC 2 had. Besides,it seems reasonable.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
Internal platform. It is not an antenna, it is a spire, no antenna in the world weighs over one ton per foot. It is enclosed , wraped in, a skin. Almost double the diamater of the structure.
No, I wasn't referring to the vertical spire, but the antennae on the communcations rings. Why were those not covered up like in the original plans?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 3:00 AM

It might work. It sounds pretty interesting. I would go check it out if they add an open air observation deck on WTC Tower 2. The new one not the old one that fell on 9/11.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 3:18 AM

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 5:09 AM

yesterday

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 2:18 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
Almost there. You can sense it...

Jonathan_Hawkins

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Jan 17, 2011 at 3:03 PM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 3:10 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I like that from certain angles like this, One World Trade Center appears taller than Seven World Trade Center.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 5:25 PM

I'm guessing this has been answered before, but after reading back ~10 pages I hadn't found the answer...

Why is there no cladding on the north west corner?

Thanks!

edit: actually... I think i just found the answer.... The crane that is attached to the corner of the tower. Risk of falling debris breaking glass?

Last edited by thenbagis; Jan 17, 2011 at 5:31 PM. Reason: maybe found the answer?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 6:35 PM

Is it an antenna or spire..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post

rendering by STR

According to the SOM website, this is indeed an antenna...

"Antenna

The antenna consists of two major components: a 408 -foot mast and a communications platform ring. The mast is a hybrid structure, consisting of a steel tower supporting the antenna and a special protective enclosure, called a radome, that is transparent to radio waves. The steel tower has eight sections stacked vertically and decreasing in width, while the radome enclosure is formed of a modular, fiberglass composite sandwich panel system arranged as octagonal antiprism modules. This folded plate enclosure structure is the first of its kind to be used in antenna construction. The panels work not only as simple plates in bending, as is the case for most cladding, but the folded plate structure exploits the spatial geometry and stiffens the ensemble to resist wind loading."

http://www.som.com/content.cfm/one_world_trade_center

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 7:13 PM

I wonder how much of the 400 or 500 ton weight is the radome panels on this 408' hybrid structure.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 7:20 PM
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnyr View Post
I was going to quote the exact same piece of information from the Skidmore Owings website. It is clearly referred to as an antenna for the purpose of transmission of signals, several times on that page. However, the powers that be on this thread have turned a blind eye to that piece of information from the actual architect and continue to hail it as a spire.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 7:30 PM

If it is just an antenna. Why do they include it in the height. " The Simbolism 1776' '' 1 WTC v1 Its 351' mast/antenna wasn't included. It's SOM that said antenna. Then where did spire come from? "Im just trying to understand that" I thought height counts if it's a spire not antenna like 1 WTC v1 had. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by sw5710; Jan 17, 2011 at 7:50 PM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 8:17 PM

It's not an antenna. That's just plain absurd. No antenna is 400 feet tall unless you're talking to submarines at ELF frequencies. There may be antennas inside when it's completed or in the future. Most of the broadcast deals fell through, and I never heard if any of them changed their mind.
The SOM description of the spire is nonsense put out by someone using big words they don't understand.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 8:44 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
If it is just an antenna. Why do they include it in the height. " The Simbolism 1776' '' 1 WTC v1 Its 351' mast/antenna wasn't included. It's SOM that said antenna. Then where did spire come from? "Im just trying to understand that" I thought height counts if it's a spire not antenna like 1 WTC v1 had. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Well if it's an antenna and not a spire, then the alternative is to count to the roof height... 1,368 feet. Oddly enough, the most notable thing that happened in the year 1368 CE was the establishment of the Ming Dynasty. Coincidence?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnyr View Post

"Antenna

The antenna consists of two major components: a 408 -foot mast and a communications platform ring. The mast is a hybrid structure, consisting of a steel tower supporting the antenna and a special protective enclosure, called a radome, that is transparent to radio waves. The steel tower has eight sections stacked vertically and decreasing in width, while the radome enclosure is formed of a modular, fiberglass composite sandwich panel system arranged as octagonal antiprism modules. This folded plate enclosure structure is the first of its kind to be used in antenna construction. The panels work not only as simple plates in bending, as is the case for most cladding, but the folded plate structure exploits the spatial geometry and stiffens the ensemble to resist wind loading."

http://www.som.com/content.cfm/one_world_trade_center
I think this is a key piece of information. "A steel tower supporting the antenna." Hmm. To what steel tower are they referring?

Flickr Blog Site

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
yesterday

off topic but Goldman Sachs is quite an addition to the skyline from the Jersey side. When the WTC site is completed or even just 1WTC and 4WTC it will serve as a nice anchor to the north end of the skyline from that vantage point. it certainly takes up a lot of space as it's very wide from that angle........cool that you can see the other new star of Lower Manhattan to the right of 1WTC, the Beekman!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 9:07 PM
Chicago carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGnome View Post
The SOM description of the spire is nonsense put out by someone using big words they don't understand.

Yeah, I mean, what would the building's architect know about the structure anyway?!?!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive