HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

The Merit in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 5:38 PM

The design is interesting, the site is great, I am a big fan of Art Deco, but come on could we try designing without beige brick and black windows. Yes I know their buildings are considerably better than others developed in the City, but with higher standards come greater expectations for future buildings and I just don't think they've continued to push.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 2:07 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
Oh my...

Is that.....A building in Ottawa.......with a defined top?!?!
As well as the many other great points here, exactly.

Heaven forbid an interesting, non-box-like thing rise above the monotony.

This is off topic, but speaking of ugly tops, why is there no outcry that Place de Ville isn't getting a new, interesting--dare we say it--lit dome? The company that owns it is recladding BOM's tower in Toronto. Is it too much to ask for a new and interesting roof for the CBD's tallest tower?

Sorry, back to ogling the latest replacement for a surface level parking lot...

Old Posted Mar 13, 2010, 11:22 PM
National Capital Region

'Innovative' building raises eyebrows over height
Friday, 12 March 2010
By Tayleigh Armstrong
http://centretownnewsonline.ca/index...1472&Itemid=94

A proposed 20-storey condominium building next to Ottawa City Hall is generating concerns after the developer was granted a “minor variance” for a project that exceeds the zoning limit for the property by eight floors.

While the building’s innovative design has widespread approval, Centretown community representatives say the planned height of the tower should have triggered a full-fledged rezoning application, including detailed studies, and fear the approval by the city’s committee of adjustment could set a bad precedent for less acceptable developments in the future.

The area, which is currently a parking lot located directly across from the south entrance of city hall, is zoned for a maximum 12-storey building under city bylaws.

However, Charlesfort Development Corp. has designed a 20-storey structure with what it calls an “art deco” style.

“If you look downtown, a lot of the apartments look like monolithic boxes,” says Doug Casey, owner of Charlesfort. “We’ve come up with a real elegant looking building that will be a real contribution to the skyline.”

Nearly every piece of land in Ottawa is zoned, meaning that each piece has certain guidelines of what is allowed to be built.

A developer can apply for a minor variance, which means that the proposed changes to the zoning are considered insignificant, the project is an appropriate use for the land, and the general intent of the bylaw is being upheld.

Charlesfort applied for and was granted a minor variance despite the plan to build eight storeys above the zoning limit.

“When you’re looking at minor variance, you have to look at impact,” says Casey.

Gord Lorimer, the project's architect, says despite the proposed extra height, the impact of the building on the neighbours would be minimal. With Lisgar Collegiate to the east and surrounded by hotels on almost all sides, Lorimer says the building has no chance of blocking views or sunlight.

“It’s a really unique site,” he says.

However, the Centretown Citizens Community Association says the proposal should not be considered a minor variance.

“It almost doubles the size,” says Rick Devereux, a member of the CCCA’s planning and development review committee. “That’s not minor.”

Devereux says the issue isn’t about the building design or even the proposed scale, which he says could be accommodated.

“The building looked nice. It has personality and character,” he says. “But it’s not a minor variance, it should be a rezoning.”

Rezoning an area is a much longer process because detailed studies must be carried out rather than just allowing a one-time fix.

Devereux says he is worried that allowing Charlesfort to call its project a minor variance is setting a bad precedent.

“It has happened before that developers take a precedent and argue that since it happened before, it should happen again,” says Devereux. “Someone less well-intentioned could come along and take advantage of it.”

But there are still a lot of steps before construction can get underway. A full set of plans must be submitted to the city and Charlesfort says comments from the community will be considered.

“We do carefully look at the impact on the neighbours and we are very interested in what they have to say,” says Casey. “We’re just going through the whole process right now.”

Last update : 12-03-2010 07:04

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 2:58 PM

Scary....

Minor this is not...

Scary precedent as not everybody is Charlesfort....in fact nobody else is...The 'next guy' can cite this and do some serious damage somewhere else...At least it's Charlesfort this time...

Old Posted Apr 3, 2010, 3:47 PM

Wow. Beauty. I can't imagine what the view must be like looking north at the chateau, the gallery, etc... Guess I should start saving all my nickles and dimes to afford the million dollar view :/

Old Posted Apr 4, 2010, 2:15 PM

Well, maybe they could set a new precident with this project. Lose the small town "Mom n' Pop" way of doing things mentality. I don't see too much trouble with a building this size in that location, and with other taller buildings built out AWAY from Parliament Hill (you can't see any of it from the Queensway or south of the CBD anyways, so how much relevance do the "Planes of View" have anymore?).

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 10:33 PM
National Capital Region

Appealed to the OMB (variance was granted according to article above, so it may be a neighbour or community association)
http://www.omb.gov.on.ca/ecs/CaseDetail.aspx?n=PL100288

Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Appealed to the OMB (variance was granted according to article above, so it may be a neighbour or community association)
I'm quite mad about this. This is a beautiful building in an area surrounded by tall apartment buildings and City Hall. It would only add to the area and I think will someday be a great investment property. Maybe the OMB will bump them up to 25 storeys...lol.

Cheers,
Josh

Old Posted Apr 10, 2010, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
I don't have any direct knowledge on this but it may have been appealed as the objectors may have claimed that the variances were beyond the scope of the Committee of Adjustment and should have gone via a zoning amendment.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 3:55 PM
National Capital Region

Called up the OMB... David Gladstone is the appellant for this one as well

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 7:08 PM
National Capital Region

OMB hearing starts on 14 July

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 9:53 PM
R2-D2's army of death

But of course! What's urban development in Ottawa without appeals to the OMB?
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted May 12, 2010, 12:15 PM

Build It Dammitt!!!

Old Posted May 12, 2010, 7:09 PM

I think council is often (but not always) quite happy to have the OMB function as its arbiter, since it allows council members to avoid responsibility for decision making. Individual members can go through the motions of anti-developer/constituent-friendly brouhaha and then throw their hands up in the air in righteous indignation/resignation when development moves forward. Their performances are read as strong leadership when, in reality, they're more a mix of sound and fury signifying nothing. But it plays well at election time.

Old Posted May 12, 2010, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen j View Post
I think council is often (but not always) quite happy to have the OMB function as its arbiter, since it allows council members to avoid responsibility for decision making. Individual members can go through the motions of anti-developer/constituent-friendly brouhaha and then throw their hands up in the air in righteous indignation/resignation when development moves forward. Their performances are read as strong leadership when, in reality, they're more a mix of sound and fury signifying nothing. But it plays well at election time.
Well said...as a person who deals with City Staff and City politicians on a regular basis (I'd love to be able to avoid the latter but unfortunately they are involved), City Staff are usually a breath of fresh air in terms of decision making compared to self-serving lifetime Councillors. The City of Ottawa is a cumbersome entity in which it is quite easy for a politician to stall a development application based on no sound rational planning/engineering argument but the fact that it is an election year coming up can throw all reasonable decision making out the window.

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 12:35 AM

This is one of the best looking buildings I've seen proposed since I started participating on this website and it's forums. I can't understand that even if it IS election year/season, why councillors wouldn't want something like this building built, which could become synonomous with the Ottawa Skyline, and Ottawa in general. I know if I were a Councillor, I'd wanna be able to point out a building or successful project to people, and remind them that I approved it going up, etc etc...

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 2:23 AM

If I were a self-serving councillor (there's a subjunctive statement!) I would privately love that building but publicly condemn it for casting a shadow on my constituents and clogging up their streets with additional vehicles in order to cover my ass when it came time to ask them to vote for me again. Sadly, there are too few incentives to encourage councillors to venture beyond that parochial little world to become (dare I say it) visionary community builders. Time for a change in the way the city is run. In addition to representatives at the ward level, council needs members-at-large to balance out the equation.

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 9:57 AM
Closed account

The problem, of course, is who on council would champion having members-at-large on council?

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen j View Post
If I were a self-serving councillor (there's a subjunctive statement!) I would privately love that building but publicly condemn it for casting a shadow on my constituents and clogging up their streets with additional vehicles in order to cover my ass when it came time to ask them to vote for me again. Sadly, there are too few incentives to encourage councillors to venture beyond that parochial little world to become (dare I say it) visionary community builders. Time for a change in the way the city is run. In addition to representatives at the ward level, council needs members-at-large to balance out the equation.
I completely agree. In Regina, where I'm from, I think they have 25% of the council who represent the city as a whole and are not affiliated with a specific ward. This serves to balance the rampant NIMBYism of a system such as ours. Not only would they (hopefully) vote in the best interests of the city as a whole, but they would also have an opportunity to speak up when councillors are obviously biased on a topic and try to use peer pressure to keep people 'honest'.

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
I completely agree. In Regina, where I'm from, I think they have 25% of the council who represent the city as a whole and are not affiliated with a specific ward. This serves to balance the rampant NIMBYism of a system such as ours. Not only would they (hopefully) vote in the best interests of the city as a whole, but they would also have an opportunity to speak up when councillors are obviously biased on a topic and try to use peer pressure to keep people 'honest'.
So then do people run for those specific positions? And then the entire city votes for them?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa