HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 12:59 AM

Save our Village will take their case to the state Supreme Court

http://www.pamplinmedia.com/lor/48-n...-supreme-court

"Save our Village" group proceeding with no real neighborhood association support. Several neighborhood association board members used the word "folly" during an 8-3 straw poll on not joining the case. The association considers the legal challenge over.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 2:46 AM

There's still the U.S. Supreme Court left...

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 3:18 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nob View Post

"Save our Village" group proceeding with no real neighborhood association support. Several neighborhood association board members used the word "folly" during an 8-3 straw poll on not joining the case. The association considers the legal challenge over.
At least the neighborhood association isn't buying into this nonsense. I would get it if they were upset over a 20 story tower being built, but not a little 4 story building.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 4:24 AM

Quote:

This is evidence that money in the hands of the rich doesn't necessarily get put to the best purposes. I've heard presentations from both lawyers. I'm convinced this is a case of the client saying "I don't care what it takes!", which makes no sense to me considering what's at stake.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 4:24 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Obviously, nobody wins here except for the lawyers. Would be great if it was the same firm representing both...

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
Obviously, nobody wins here except for the lawyers. Would be great if it was the same firm representing both...
I feel like I won. It will be a lot easier to get to Milwaukie or Downtown Portland than Lake Oswego anytime soon, and I now know they don't want my type (single white male Portlander) in their city.

I can spend my money in places that don't dislike me.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 4:05 PM

City gets one reply to RFP

http://www.pamplinmedia.com/lor/48-n...nchor-proposal

With the opposition to Wizer, I predict smooth sailing(not) for this development that has already suggested condos are a no go due to insurance.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 6:57 PM

Ground Breaking sets the stage for Wizer Block construction

Doesn't look like the developer is waiting for a Supreme Court decision...
http://www.pamplinmedia.com/lor/48-n...k-construction

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 7:20 PM
A before E

Quote:
Doesn't look like the developer is waiting for a Supreme Court decision...
http://www.pamplinmedia.com/lor/48-n...k-construction
How much do you want to bet that those who were fighting against this will be gushing about how great this is for their downtown after it is completed and full of shops.

I have joked with my wife about this who worked in SoHo for the couple years that we lived in NYC, and it is mindboggling that Downtown LO isn't the Portland Metro's SoHo. I could see that downtown full of 2-4 story buildings with high end stores lining the streets. But instead it is this weird little wasteland that fights against any improvements.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 2:05 AM

Well there's still SCOTUS....

Quote:
Oregon Supreme Court kills last challenge to Lake Oswego's big Wizer Block project

In just 14 words, the Oregon Supreme Court put the final nail in the coffin for opponents of the Wizer Block project in downtown Lake Oswego today.

"The court has considered the petition for review and orders that it be denied."

That denial puts an end to more than a year's worth of legal opposition to the $103 million, 290,000-square-foot project, which will add more than 200 residential units in the suburb's downtown core. Opponents, including the organized groups LO 138 LLC, Save Our Village and the Evergreen Neighborhood Association, had fought developer Patrick Kessi's plans from the get-go, largely on the grounds that the development was out of scale and style compared to the rest of downtown.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2015, 7:02 AM

Home for the holidays and took a quick peek at the Wizer Block construction that is driving my dad crazy

20151221_155527 by Kevin Duffy-Greaves, on Flickr

20151221_155510 by Kevin Duffy-Greaves, on Flickr

20151221_155752 by Kevin Duffy-Greaves, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Lake Oswego downtown redevelopment, decades in the making, finally nearing fruition

About 50 nervous Lake Oswego residents gathered for a community meeting, where officials rolled out plans for the biggest proposed downtown redevelopment in the city's history.

Residents vented their spleens over two hours about a variety of concerns. How much traffic will this generate? Will the proposed density ruin downtown's character? How much will all this cost?

"There's a lack of detail here," one man complained. "We'd like answers before we buy into it."

That was in 1988, decades before Lake Oswego's halting embrace of a downtown redevelopment plan that is only now being finally realized.

Downtown's landmark Wizer's Oswego Foods is gone, replaced by a swarm of construction workers and equipment. A dramatic reshaping is well underway on the final block of downtown that had held out for so long.
...continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 10:03 PM
A before E

Lake Oswego baffles me, I have always imagined that they would want and have a little European style downtown full of high end shops and be like the Portland version of SoHo. Good that development is finally coming to their downtown and I am sure the people there will love it once it is done.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 4:55 AM

"Village" is just a meaningless real estate buzz word to most the residents. They have no idea how an actual European village functions, with a few floors housing over retail. They also call their McMansions "cottages".

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Lake Oswego baffles me, I have always imagined that they would want and have a little European style downtown full of high end shops and be like the Portland version of SoHo. Good that development is finally coming to their downtown and I am sure the people there will love it once it is done.
Ditto. I've been there 3x in the past month and I'm puzzled what some people are so concerned about protecting. It's a small town with unimpressive retail and too much surface parking. This development will hopefully be one of many in the coming years.

Last edited by RED_PDXer; Jan 26, 2016 at 3:00 PM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2016, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Milwaukie eyes urban renewal as a way to breathe life into downtown

If Portland is where young people go to retire, according to the satiric television show "Portlandia," then Milwaukie might be where they go to grow up.

At least, that's the view of Mayor Mark Gamba, who hopes an influx of younger people priced out of Portland will continue stoking a mini revolution of solar-panel installations, bicycle and pedestrian improvements, and development capitalizing on the recent arrival of TriMet's Orange Line.

But there is at least one more needed fix, in Gamba's eyes, that can help Portland's Clackamas County neighbor overcome decades of economic underachievement to take full advantage of its front seat view of the Willamette River: urban renewal.
...continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 5:05 AM
A before E

I am excited for this, Milwaukie has been changing mentality in recent years and has reflected that with who the people of this town have been electing. I could see a major push for new development in downtown and central Milwaukie within the next 5-10 years. Now my main goal is to buy a place in Milwaukie before this happens and my wife and I get priced out of this great little town next to the big city.

I am really hoping we eventually see a petite downtown and skyline develop in Milwaukie, especially since the water treatment plant along the river is no longer really needed. That would make such a great extension of downtown and could easily be a great location for a little urban district along the river.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 6:48 AM
RCTID

Quote:
I am excited for this, Milwaukie has been changing mentality in recent years and has reflected that with who the people of this town have been electing. I could see a major push for new development in downtown and central Milwaukie within the next 5-10 years. Now my main goal is to buy a place in Milwaukie before this happens and my wife and I get priced out of this great little town next to the big city.

I am really hoping we eventually see a petite downtown and skyline develop in Milwaukie, especially since the water treatment plant along the river is no longer really needed. That would make such a great extension of downtown and could easily be a great location for a little urban district along the river.
Some of the same reasons I am excited to have moved to Oregon City a year ago. Can't wait to see what the Willamette Falls project brings. Have been enjoying Milwaukie's Sunday market and how the downtown area has been improving as well.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 4:44 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdX Farr View Post
Some of the same reasons I am excited to have moved to Oregon City a year ago. Can't wait to see what the Willamette Falls project brings. Have been enjoying Milwaukie's Sunday market and how the downtown area has been improving as well.
The whole falls project is gonna be a game changer for Oregon City, my only wish is that people in Clackamas didn't fight the light rail so much, it would have been amazing seeing it go all the way to Oregon City. The way the Orange line is designed at the end of the line makes me think that we won't ever see the Orange extending down to Oregon City.

I will say, one thing I am jealous with when it comes to Oregon City is that I wish downtown Milwaukie had a little bit better stock of old buildings. Most of the old buildings in Milwaukie aren't that good and are all one to two stories.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 9:20 PM
RCTID

Quote:
The whole falls project is gonna be a game changer for Oregon City, my only wish is that people in Clackamas didn't fight the light rail so much, it would have been amazing seeing it go all the way to Oregon City. The way the Orange line is designed at the end of the line makes me think that we won't ever see the Orange extending down to Oregon City.

I will say, one thing I am jealous with when it comes to Oregon City is that I wish downtown Milwaukie had a little bit better stock of old buildings. Most of the old buildings in Milwaukie aren't that good and are all one to two stories.
Yeah, totally bummed the Orange line doesn't come all the way out here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon