HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Actually it does mean what I thought but definitionally it means what you thought as well.

ma·jor·i·ty
noun: majority; plural noun: majorities
1. the greater number.
"in the majority of cases all will go smoothly"

majority
1 obsolete : the quality or state of being greater
3 a : a number or percentage equaling more than half of a total
touche!

In any case, I don't think either side could claim victory... particularly not with errors in the range of 4.4% 19 times out of 20.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 5:32 PM

One thing is for certain, we are now going to see the mettle of the prospective ownership group. If they are serious and take the sage advice John Ruddy of OSEG must have given them (against far greater opposition in Ottawa), we'll see if they are in for the long haul.

On average, most stadiums in this country have taken about eight years from the first serious discussions and maybe a concept render to final completion (actual construction two and a half to three years). So, we have been talking about this for how long, six months? Long way to go, likely despite the ownership group's optimism.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I'd like to know the method for their polling. Calling only landlines or doing online-only will give different results. AFAIK, MQO gets something like 30% or 40% of their respondents via cellphone, meaning the other 60% or 70% is landline...it's no wonder respondents would be ok with suburban locations only easily accessible by car.

And yes, nobody bikes in the Maritimes because 1) Everything is hills and, 2) There's no infrastructure because everything is hills.
The details aren't given in the article, but the polling methods utilized by MQO are outlined at this link:
http://mqoresearch.com/our-services/...tive-research/

It doesn't state percentages of each method in their marketing research, so IMHO we can't draw conclusions about respondents.

Regarding using bicycles as a main form of transportation in the maritimes, this topic has been mercilessly beaten to death on this forum in the past, so I will say only this:

I used to bike extensively in the HRM and I no longer do, so I can only speak for myself:
- I don't mind hills (though I know that some do).
- While there are some places that are not pleasant to ride due to our mostly old and narrow street layout or busier sections that don't feel safe, it's easy to pick a route that avoids the trouble spots with little or no time/distance penalty. So infrastructure is not really a problem IMHO. In fact I would avoid the busier sections even if proper separated infrastructure was in place as I don't like breathing exhaust fumes while my breathing rate is up during exercise - it's not pleasant, and not healthy.

While I don't mind being out in the weather generally, being on a bike in bad weather means:
- there is increased danger due to slippery conditions and reduced visibility,
- no matter how well you dress you will probably get wet and will have to bring a change of clothes with you,
- being on a bike in a storm is just not pleasant - being blown around, water in eyes or on glasses, etc.

Time: Halifax traffic really isn't all that bad, and a motor vehicle will almost always give you a time advantage over any other mode of transportation, especially since outside the downtown area it really isn't all that densely populated. A well-run transit system would be competition, but there are no worries of that happening in Halifax.

Convenience: I don't arrive at work needing a shower and a change of clothes, I can stop by a store and buy a week's worth of groceries or pick up some larger item without having to strategically plan how much I can carry on a bike or should I bring my special 'cargo bike' to carry it home, and will it rain or snow on the way and ruin those items that I bought... etc.

I have great respect for those who choose to cycle as their main form of transportation, as I realize how much extra effort it takes to do so. Perhaps if I had an easy time schedule I may find myself more inclined to take it up again, but right now it doesn't work for me... but that's just me.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I have great respect for those who choose to cycle as their main form of transportation, as I realize how much extra effort it takes to do so. Perhaps if I had an easy time schedule I may find myself more inclined to take it up again, but right now it doesn't work for me... but that's just me.
I think your post is closer to the mark.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 5:57 PM

According to many cyclists, and HRM staff, Thistle from Wyse to Victoria is 'a hill' and that is why they have to cycle through the Common and almost knock me over in the graveyard.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
According to many cyclists, and HRM staff, Thistle from Wyse to Victoria is 'a hill' and that is why they have to cycle through the Common and almost knock me over in the graveyard.
There's just so many responses that could come out of that

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Harumph! Victoria from Park Ave to Thistle is a hill, and I used to do that. The only 'hill' on Thistle is from Maple to Beech (I used to do that one as well!)!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 9:19 PM

Councillors react to Halifax stadium poll and possible taxpayer involvement
Three members of Halifax regional council say they’d have to see the arrangement before giving a green light to use your money.
Taryn Grant StarMetro Halifax April 16, 2018

HALIFAX — A game plan based on throwing tax money directly at an outdoor stadium won’t win, say some municipal councillors.

“If it means increasing your taxes, I'm not interested in doing that,” said District 6 councillor Tony Mancini in an interview. “If it means some tax breaks, if it means us doing some infrastructure work, I'm interested in that.”

A StarMetro exclusive poll revealed split opinions on using municipal taxes, directly or through tax breaks, to pay for a football stadium for a possible CFL franchise for Halifax.

Forty-two per cent of those polled said they were very favourable or favourable to using taxpayer money to build a stadium, while 41 per cent were unfavourable or very unfavourable. Fifteen per cent were neither unfavourable nor favourable, and 2 per cent were unsure.

Rick Emberley of MQO Research, which conducted the poll for StarMetro, was surprised by the split opinion.

“I honestly thought it would be a much lower level of interest,” he earlier told StarMetro.

Mancini also expected more opposition.

“My gut feeling would have been stronger numbers against using taxpayer dollars,” he said.

Mancini thinks municipal involvement will be worthwhile if plans include more than just a stadium. He referred to Ottawa’s Lansdowne Park, which includes the 24,000-seat TD Place, home of the Ottawa Redblacks, as well as shops, restaurants, green spaces and courtyards.

“That Lansdowne approach interests me or excites me for Shannon Park because it may help to address some of our challenges when it comes to transportation,” said Mancini, whose district includes the Shannon Park area. “Expanding our transportation, metro transit, possibly even a third ferry coming into that area.”

Shannon Park was the most desired location in StarMetro’s poll, followed by Dartmouth Crossing. Unlike Lansdowne, which is owned by the City of Ottawa, Shannon Park is not owned by HRM.

“The challenge with Shannon Park,” said Coun. Sam Austin in an interview, “is we've just gone through a whole planning process to redevelop that as a mixed-use neighbourhood. And it's owned by Canada Lands, so I'm not sure that that'll come to pass.”

Austin, District 5, and fellow councillor Tim Outhit, District 16, both said the poll was consistent with what they’ve been hearing from residents.

“I've heard from people who are vehemently against and people who are really in support. So it rather fits what's been coming in to me,” said Austin.

Outhit added that it’s hard to come down on either side, since council hasn’t received an official ask from potential franchisees.

“What I hear from people is they may get the vision of the stadium, but the devil will be in the details,” Outhit said.

Last year, council heard from a private group interested in bringing a CFL team to the Atlantic region. The session was closed to the public, but Mancini said the group shared “their intention” without proposing a business plan or making an official bid for municipal dollars.

Council still doesn’t have a proposal, said Austin, but for him: “It would have to be a pretty darn good deal for me to see putting municipal money into it. This has to be something that the private sector leads."

One person in support of an outdoor stadium in Halifax is Saint Mary’s Huskies football coach James Colzie III.

He believes a stadium and CFL team would be a great fit.

“It’s not just support for football, it is support for the city,” he said in an interview Monday.

Colzie hopes the Huskies would be able to use a stadium, should one ever get built, but knows there would be some red tape in terms of working out a partnership.

“Obviously when you build a stadium you want to sell it out,” he said. “You bring in CFL fans and hopefully that leads to some new fans for the Huskies.” – with files from Tony Davis.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 3:31 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Biking is not popular around here because:
- hills
- cities are not dense/long distances
- horrible climate (rain/sleet/snow)
- wind!!!
- lack of biking infrastructure (least important)

Did I mention hills???
Statistics Canada compiles detailed reports on how many people commute to work by biking or walking: http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-re...016029-eng.cfm

Halifax is #2 for active transportation across all Canadian cities. 9.2% of all people walk or bike to work. The share of walkers is #1 in Canada, while the modal share for cycling is about middle of the pack, lower than some other cities with much more severe climates. I suspect the share of cyclists could easily go up with more (modestly-priced) investment in cycling infrastructure.

Transit use in Halifax is also the 7th highest in Canada despite the fact that the city doesn't have any rapid transit. Imagine how high it could be if the city invested in decent transit.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Harumph! Victoria from Park Ave to Thistle is a hill, and I used to do that. The only 'hill' on Thistle is from Maple to Beech (I used to do that one as well!)!
Well said. (Cyclists seem to prefer the least strenuous route when riding a 16
That is what staff and cyclists told me when I suggested the trail through the Common be pedestrian/wheelchair only. In the summer there are about 16 cyclists who go through there and last fall 2 cyclists almost hit me in the graveyard section coming from behind me and not having a bell. At the time I was recovering from hip surgery.

Cyclists seem to prefer the least strenuous route when riding a 12 gear bike.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
In the summer there are about 16 cyclists who go through there and last fall 2 cyclists almost hit me in the graveyard section coming from behind me and not having a bell. At the time I was recovering from hip surgery.
You should have accidentally stuck your cane into the spokes of their wheel.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
You should have accidentally stuck your cane into the spokes of their wheel.
I was walking without a cane and not always in a straight line. Balance was a bit of an issue.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 5:46 PM

Quote:
I was walking without a cane and not always in a straight line. Balance was a bit of an issue.
That happens to me after I gargle with Smirnoff

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 8:27 PM

These renders made the rounds a few years ago as a mystery stadium that no one could figure out where it might be situated. Later, it came out that Saskatoon commissioned the study.

Might be something for Halifax to look at (with 5k less seats).

Saskatoon Stadium Feasibility Study
Client - Saskatchewan Place

Touchdown.

HDR/CEI developed a concept design for a new 28,000-seat outdoor spectator facility as part of a new North American sports franchise. It included 32 private suites, two large party rooms, dressing rooms for both football and soccer, and a split-level public concourse which provided diverse and unique seating opportunities for patrons with disabilities.

The client had identified a number of possible sites for the facility. HDR/CEI reviewed each on the basis of fit, synergistic neighbourhood development, accessibility, and urban design impact.

HDR/CEI provided a number of roofing alternatives for consideration, and developed the program of spaces for all building components with the exception of the total seating and the number of private suites, which had been determined by a previously prepared business plan.

Overall construction costs assumed a start date of July 2010. Costs were projected at $117,000,000 for a partial roofing system (illustrated) and $134,000,000 for a fully roofed option.

Project Cost $117,000,000
Size 28,000-seats
Completion December 2010

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
These renders made the rounds a few years ago as a mystery stadium that no one could figure out where it might be situated. Later, it came out that Saskatoon commissioned the study.

Might be something for Halifax to look at (with 5k less seats).

Saskatoon Stadium Feasibility Study
Client - Saskatchewan Place

Touchdown.

HDR/CEI developed a concept design for a new 28,000-seat outdoor spectator facility as part of a new North American sports franchise. It included 32 private suites, two large party rooms, dressing rooms for both football and soccer, and a split-level public concourse which provided diverse and unique seating opportunities for patrons with disabilities.

The client had identified a number of possible sites for the facility. HDR/CEI reviewed each on the basis of fit, synergistic neighbourhood development, accessibility, and urban design impact.

HDR/CEI provided a number of roofing alternatives for consideration, and developed the program of spaces for all building components with the exception of the total seating and the number of private suites, which had been determined by a previously prepared business plan.

Overall construction costs assumed a start date of July 2010. Costs were projected at $117,000,000 for a partial roofing system (illustrated) and $134,000,000 for a fully roofed option.

Project Cost $117,000,000
Size 28,000-seats
Completion December 2010
That's a pretty ugly design Saskatoon made there glad it never saw the light of day.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
That's a pretty ugly design Saskatoon made there glad it never saw the light of day.
Ha! That was my initial reaction as well.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 9:29 PM

^ It looks like a temporary venue, or a small permanent stadium augmented with temporary seats.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 12:41 AM

The outside reminds me of the original BMO Field. I'll have to dig up a picture.

I don't think it looks that bad aside from the goofy roof. I never liked the BMO original roof cover, it reminded me of a pagoda.

On this stadium the price is certainly right.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 12:48 AM
ハルウララ

Old BMO:

New BMO:

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 2:21 AM

There's an earlier photo of BMO from the side that looks very similar to the Saskatoon render.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment