HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 4:16 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
haha...right.. Edmonton is going to be in so much cap hell by then you won't be making it out of the first round.
Toronto too... Marner, Matthews and Nylander will probably make around $25M by themselves.

Love how fans of former mediocre teams become sure their team is a Stanley Cup contender as soon as they make the playoffs.

Last edited by SkahHigh; Sep 13, 2017 at 2:42 AM.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 4:22 PM

Yeah Edmonton and Toronto will have quite a short window with all the young guys that expect a big pay day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
I'm still wondering if the Flames will sign one of Iggy or Jagr with their 5 million in cap space. Or will they just let the young guys compete for the available forward slots?
Bringing in one of them would add some veteran leadership, but there are a lot of young guys that should be competing for a spot, Jankowski, Foo, Mangiapane, Dube and Fischer all looked good in the Young Stars Classic and could compete for a spot in the roster. Not sure if a very slow old guy would really be a better fit, even with the locker room presence and leadership they would bring. Alsom it's not a good idea to start the season right at the cap, we did have to start 3 lines at the end of the season a few years back due to lack of cap space.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 4:54 PM

Love how when Crosby signed his long-term deal it was team-friendly and the recipe for a dynasty. Mcdavid signs his deal that's a lower percentage of cap (which is all that matters) and it's "cap hell forever" for the Oilers. I'd also gladly pay Mathews, Nylander, and Marner $25 mil in a $77-$80 mil cap league which is realistic in the next 3 years.

There's little doubt in my mind the Oilers will make it to the finals in the next 3 years. The Leafs have some more work to do but I hope we'll meet them there.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 12:45 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Love how when Crosby signed his long-term deal it was team-friendly and the recipe for a dynasty. Mcdavid signs his deal that's a lower percentage of cap (which is all that matters) and it's "cap hell forever" for the Oilers.
It's less to do with McDavid's deal and more all of the others. EDM has about $8M in cap space with Fayne, Letestu, Maroon, and Jokinen becoming free agents next summer. Just under 50% of the team's salary is shared between McDavid, Draisaitl, Lucic, and Nugent-Hopkins. Throw in Sekera and Klefbom and you're over 50% tied up until at least 2021.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 1:31 AM

All we need is McDavid and Talbot and we're essentially playoff contenders no matter what anyway

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh View Post
Toronto too... Marner, Matthews and Nylander will probably make around $25M by themselves.

Love how fans of former mediocre teams become sure their team is a Stanley Cups contender as soon as they make the playoffs.
Ya if it were only just the fans though.........but it not. It's almost every NHL insiders predictions as well. It's funny listening to people think their monopoly on winning can continue indefinitely into the future. Nothing lasts for ever, winning streaks or losing streaks. Enjoy your up coming drought.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 2:35 AM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Ya if it were only just the fans though.........but it not. It's almost every NHL insiders predictions as well. It's funny listening to people think their monopoly on winning can continue indefinitely into the future. Nothing lasts for ever, winning streaks or losing streaks. Enjoy your up coming drought.
Lol of course the Toronto media are going to put the Leafs on a pedestal. Fact is, you got no defence (your number 2 D is Jake Gardiner lol), an average goaltender and were incredibly lucky on the injury front last year. And you still lost in the first round. What happens if Matthews misses 40 games? Or fragile Mitch Marner?

A little bit of humility would be nice. Especially when you got these great rookies because management gutted your team

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Love how when Crosby signed his long-term deal it was team-friendly and the recipe for a dynasty. Mcdavid signs his deal that's a lower percentage of cap (which is all that matters) and it's "cap hell forever" for the Oilers. I'd also gladly pay Mathews, Nylander, and Marner $25 mil in a $77-$80 mil cap league which is realistic in the next 3 years.

There's little doubt in my mind the Oilers will make it to the finals in the next 3 years. The Leafs have some more work to do but I hope we'll meet them there.

Dude...this isn't about McJezus...its about all the other bad deals they signed.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 2:53 AM

Quote:
A little bit of humility would be nice.
This coming from a Habs fan

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 3:52 AM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
This coming from a Habs fan
Did I ever say my team was superior? Did I ever say we would win the cup? Or do you simply generalize because that's all you have in answer to my argument?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 1:08 PM

Quote:
A little bit of humility would be nice. Especially when you got these great rookies because management gutted your team
Most Leaf fans hate the Toronto media as much as everyone else and know the team isn't a contender yet. That being said, the only year that be described as a planned tank is the one that landed Matthews. Even then it's worth noting the team had the most points for a last place finish since 2007. The team that finished bottom 5 to land Marner was the same that took Boston to 7 games, they just finally collapsed under the cancerous weight of Carlyle's system and had no hope once Horachek took over.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
Dude...this isn't about McJezus...its about all the other bad deals they signed.
True, Lucic is probably the biggest cap problem they have

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 2:30 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Most Leaf fans hate the Toronto media as much as everyone else and know the team isn't a contender yet. That being said, the only year that be described as a planned tank is the one that landed Matthews. Even then it's worth noting the team had the most points for a last place finish since 2007. The team that finished bottom 5 to land Marner was the same that took Boston to 7 games, they just finally collapsed under the cancerous weight of Carlyle's system and had no hope once Horachek took over.
I mean the tanking is fine. Most recent cup winners have done it willingly or unwillingly. What irks me is the lack of expectation tempering from some fans.

A lot of guys believe lottery pick + playoffs the following year = cup

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
It's less to do with McDavid's deal and more all of the others. EDM has about $8M in cap space with Fayne, Letestu, Maroon, and Jokinen becoming free agents next summer. Just under 50% of the team's salary is shared between McDavid, Draisaitl, Lucic, and Nugent-Hopkins. Throw in Sekera and Klefbom and you're over 50% tied up until at least 2021.
I think they will move Nugent-Hopkins, that guy is a bit of a flop. Hope they re-sign him to an egregious deal though!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 3:42 PM

Quote:
I mean the tanking is fine. Most recent cup winners have done it willingly or unwillingly. What irks me is the lack of expectation tempering from some fans.

A lot of guys believe lottery pick + playoffs the following year = cup
For a true dynasty you need a good amount of luck on top of solid drafting. Where would Chicago have been if Keith and Seabrook hadn't broken out and massively outperformed their contracts. It's the primary reason I'm looking foward to Dubas taking the reigns in Toronto. Cap management and the foresight to line up all of the pieces in a single year is probably the most important skill for a modern GM to win the cup.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2017, 11:35 PM

Vancouver in Los Angeles right now game on 2017/18!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 8:06 PM

Vegas making their first road trip ever in Vancouver this afternoon. It'll be interesting to see a new jersey on an NHL ice surface.

Meanwhile the Canucks main team just took off for Shanghai for two preseason games against the Kings.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 9:24 PM

Come on Sportsnet you have five channels we just need one the Jays are done.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 3:21 AM
Community Guy

Excited to be going tomorrow night.

www.twitter.com/ianoyeg

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Did I ever say my team was superior? Did I ever say we would win the cup? Or do you simply generalize because that's all you have in answer to my argument?
You didn't have to. You're pretty transparent.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada