HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 9:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Windex [blue window glass cleaner] works great. Kills on contact and I think it masks their sent trail(?).
The Greeks say Windex can do anything I vaguely recall from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". Kill ants, I'm on it. Thanks.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Naw, the bug champ has to be Florida. I don't think anywhere else has "love bugs":

https://www.google.com/search?q=love...PVhRdbSVY-j7M:
Ugh. I have had the misfortune a couple of times of making the drive on the Florida Turnpike in the vast nothing-ness between Orlando and Fort Pierce in certain times of year (September I think?). You car can be practically ruined.
Florida takes the cake for every type of bug. Its the climate.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 1:29 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Naw, the bug champ has to be Florida. I don't think anywhere else has "love bugs":
rl]
We have those here in Houston (or this part of Texas)

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 3:25 PM
BANNED

Any place that requires a screened in outdoor pool area is going to take first place in bug competition.

My uncle's backyard in Florida would have hundreds of crabs walk up and out of the water and into his lawn. We used to run around with a bucket and round them up.

In North Carolina, toads by the hundreds would invade at dusk. They would come hopping out of the forest. -- Lightning bugs, toads and huge web-like caterpillar nests in the trees.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 5:56 PM
The New Republic

Toronto is over run with racoons. They're everywhere.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 6:09 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
Denver with its dry climate and high elevation is probably one of the least hospitable cities for bugs in the U.S. There are bugs but they don’t seem to be as big of a problem as many other cities. You do have to be careful when you’re on trails in the foothills though due to rattlesnakes mainly in the spring and summer.

Boise's pretty much the same. people who live in or near the foothills have to deal with rattlers and black widows, but that's about it.

and thankfully the Wisconsin State Bird is not an issue in the city -- if you want to see mosquitos you need to head to the rivers or reservoirs in the mountains.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 6:56 PM
BANNED

Coyotes, often representing imagery of the wide open West are overpopulated in many parts of the East and have become somewhat of a nuisance and safety issue for pets and small children.

A few years ago my mom's next door neighbor had a coyote living in his backyard and he didn't even know it due to his wild landscaping. One day, it appeared on the roof, taking a nap in the shade and that's when animal control was called in.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 7:02 PM
The Vomit Bag.

there seems to be an uptick in the number of insufferable rightwingers around my part of the world. Scientists are looking into the matter, but some have speculated that their species is one of very few fauna that are prospering under Tronald Dump.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 7:04 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
I'm not going to call them pests, because they were here first and we keep clear-cutting their habitat, but urban bears are a thing here. I startled one as it was going through my neighbor's trash, and they get into the parking decks at the hospital, which is not exactly out in the boonies, so often that they have a code they announce over the intercom when security has spotted yet another one wandering around on the security cameras.

Bears in the downtown area, north of the hospital also aren't terribly uncommon:

Video Link

Video Link

They've also been known to put in appearances at Biltmore Estate, the North Carolina Governor's Western Residence, and the Chamber of Commerce.

Bears in Asheville have been known to enjoy backyards, trampolines, playgrounds, pickup trucks, bird feeders, and SUV's.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 7:09 PM
BANNED

^It was probably pretty bad when N.C. had a severe drought a few years back?

Whenever it gets really dry, they come in from the wilderness looking for food and water.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Coyotes, often representing imagery of the wide open West are overpopulated in many parts of the East and have become somewhat of a nuisance and safety issue for pets and small children.

A few years ago my mom's next door neighbor had a coyote living in his backyard and he didn't even know it due to his wild landscaping. One day, it appeared on the roof, taking a nap in the shade and that's when animal control was called in.
Of course they are ubiquitous here in Southern Arizona. I've seen them wandering down my street in mid-afternoon. They occasionally jump over someone's garden wall and grab their pet. Around 11 PM every night I hear a pack of them howling and yipping. Not long ago it sounded like they were right outside the house and they may have been.

In San Francisco they are now breeding in Golden Gate Park and sometimes attack dogs being walked there.

But this remains my favorite urban coyote image: He's sitting in the cooler at Quiznos in downtown Chicago on a hot day and looks so embarrassed at having been caught

http://thegurglingcod.typepad.com/th...oyote_wal.html

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:

I read somewhere that the coyotes in the northeastern U.S. may have interbred with wolves in the Rocky mountain states, the Dakotas & upstate Minnesota as they moved east, so they are somewhat bigger and perhaps more dangerous and aggressive than the variety we have in California, which are slightly smaller than a German Shepherd and more slender in build and usually timid & easy to shoo away except when they are in a pack. I wonder if coyotes interbreed with dogs? Sometimes they prey on the smaller dogs (and cats) out here in San Diego suburbs. You don't keep small dogs and cats outside where there are coyotes. A big dog could probably take care of itself.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by initiald View Post
We hardly have any pigeons downtown. Do hawks eat pigeons because we have a good number of hawks that live downtown. I was thinking I'd like to capture and import a number of pigeons from other cities to make our downtown feel more like a real downtown.
Yep!

Red-tailed hawks are among the more common.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 11:14 PM
BANNED

A couple of pesky pests [whales] wandered their way into a channel in Seal Beach, CA.

Hopefully they find their way out.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Of course they are ubiquitous here in Southern Arizona. I've seen them wandering down my street in mid-afternoon. They occasionally jump over someone's garden wall and grab their pet. Around 11 PM every night I hear a pack of them howling and yipping. Not long ago it sounded like they were right outside the house and they may have been.

In San Francisco they are now breeding in Golden Gate Park and sometimes attack dogs being walked there.

But this remains my favorite urban coyote image: He's sitting in the cooler at Quiznos in downtown Chicago on a hot day and looks so embarrassed at having been caught

http://thegurglingcod.typepad.com/th...oyote_wal.html
That coyote looks part wolf.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 11:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
I read somewhere that the coyotes in the northeastern U.S. may have interbred with wolves in the Rocky mountain states, the Dakotas & upstate Minnesota as they moved east, so they are somewhat bigger and perhaps more dangerous and aggressive than the variety we have in California, which are slightly smaller than a German Shepherd and more slender in build and usually timid & easy to shoo away except when they are in a pack. I wonder if coyotes interbreed with dogs? Sometimes they prey on the smaller dogs (and cats) out here in San Diego suburbs. You don't keep small dogs and cats outside where there are coyotes. A big dog could probably take care of itself.
Wow, that's cool. The ones I have encountered are slender and are easily scared off with noises or an appearance of a big human flexing/making noise.

I remember about ten years ago having a stare down, man against beast. 1 v 1. Luckily the coyote flinched and fled, definitely a bit scary at the time.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
Boise's pretty much the same. people who live in or near the foothills have to deal with rattlers and black widows, but that's about it.

and thankfully the Wisconsin State Bird is not an issue in the city -- if you want to see mosquitos you need to head to the rivers or reservoirs in the mountains.
Places like Boise, Helena, Great Falls, Pocatello, Denver, Calgary etc. at fairly high altitudes & somewat dry climates with cold winters seem to be the best places to live to avoid bugs. Hot, humid climates with mild winters are the worst, generally. Places like Florida and southeastern Texas have their good points for sure , but they are bug paradise.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Wow, that's cool. The ones I have encountered are slender and are easily scared off with noises or an appearance of a big human flexing/making noise.

I remember about ten years ago having a stare down, man against beast. 1 v 1. Luckily the coyote flinched and fled, definitely a bit scary at the time.
On hikes in the local mountains in SoCal, I'm more on guard for pumas (cougars/mountain lions) than coyotes. Pumas ambush without warning, and there have been a few serious attacks and even fatalities (albeit rare). Most coyotes avoid people and are timid. They may be bolder in packs. Black bears are generally timid, but sometimes a mother with cubs is aggressive. Grizzly bears can be very aggressive and sometimes attack humans, but they are extinct in California although still on the California flag. If you hike in Yellowstone or Glacier Nat. Park, be sure to watch out for G bears. Wear a bell to let them know you're there so you don't startle them.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 1:44 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Coyotes and hawks are old hat in my neck of the woods. I actually live next to a woods, and there are plenty of hawks (and consequently a lot of bird and bunny carcasses, sometimes in my pool). A coyote killed one of my neighbor's dogs last summer, and I see coyotes fairly often on my evening walks. The coyotes have interbred with wolves and dogs, and have become more aggressive (and larger) as a result. Bears are also making a comeback, and there have been cougar sightings.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
I'm not going to call them pests, because they were here first and we keep clear-cutting their habitat, but urban bears are a thing here. I startled one as it was going through my neighbor's trash, and they get into the parking decks at the hospital, which is not exactly out in the boonies, so often that they have a code they announce over the intercom when security has spotted yet another one wandering around on the security cameras.

Bears in the downtown area, north of the hospital also aren't terribly uncommon:

Video Link

Video Link

They've also been known to put in appearances at Biltmore Estate, the North Carolina Governor's Western Residence, and the Chamber of Commerce.

Bears in Asheville have been known to enjoy backyards, trampolines, playgrounds, pickup trucks, bird feeders, and SUV's.
Black bears can be a nuisance, but are basically big raccoons. Only once in a while do you get black bear attacks on humans, and usually its a mother with cubs. Grizzly bears are the scary ones.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions