HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 7:57 PM
Needs more coffee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwater View Post
There were stabbings. I think someone might have been killed. When you hear people say they'd never go to James N because there's too much crime, they're thinking of Martini's.
The Spec has an article about a fatal shooting that happened there October '07 and mentioned another shooting from the year before, so I guess there was at least one murder there.

Interesting to see how even in less than two years the perception of an area can change - I'd all but forgotten about this stuff. I think I remember the 2007 one because it happened the first week I lived in Hamilton... but what I've heard about the street (and experienced) has been overwhelmingly positive since then.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 10:35 PM
Closed account

Not holding my breath on this change. I'm starting to think it is the same owners just trying to shed the past image of the place.

It can be called whatever - it will still be a blight on the street.

http://www.thespec.com/article/191997

I wish folks here would realize the potential of opening up nice spaces for people to patronize...

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 2:10 PM

Any word on the bar/music venue that was to be opened on James North by the guy from the band Junior Boys?

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 4:01 PM
Closed account

Smart Art -

http://www.hamiltonmagazine.com/site...ng%20To%20Walk

an article on the James North Art Crawl and the local arts economy.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 4:53 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

I heard the "Copper Johns" at James and just south corner op LIUNA Station has new owners the new name is "This isn't Hollywood" after the song by the Hamilton punk band... Forgotten Rebels. Very cool name...

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 4:54 PM
Hammer'd

Hamilton punk is relevant to my interests. I will check this place out, hoping the name isn't as far as the punk theme goes. Hamilton needsneedsneeds more punk venues/bars.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 8:18 PM
Closed account

This should probably be in the James North thread and/or entertainment, but since you're asking...

This Ain't Hollywood just the tonic for James

June 11, 2009
Graham Rockingham
The Hamilton Spectator
(Jun 11, 2009)

Surely, there's no better name for a downtown Hamilton rock bar than This Ain't Hollywood.

It's hard to imagine any place less like Tinseltown than our own city core. This Ain't Hollywood also happens to be the name of the 1981 debut album by Hamilton's punk band, The Forgotten Rebels.

The bar's name was picked by local rocker Glen, The Hamilton Kid, one of three owners of This Ain't Hollywood, which opens Saturday.

Glen, The Hamilton Kid, has a real name but he prefers to be known by the stage name he has used over the years, most notably with the band Sam Lawrence Five. He's brandishing a spiked mohawk haircut along with his Doc Martens and leather motorcycle jacket. Glen's new band, the Steeltown Spoilers, will be the first to grace the stage of This Ain't Hollywood Saturday night. Ownership, he's discovered, carries certain privileges.

Besides being a punk musician, Glen is a Hamilton history buff. He's been digging into the bar's past ever since he took it over with partners Lou Molinaro and Gary Daly. Located at the corner of James North and Murray streets, the tavern is best known as Copper John's, although for the last 10 years it's been called Copper's Corner. The sign still hangs there, waiting to be replaced by the new This Ain't Hollywood marquee. It started out as the McKenzie House, in 1893, Glen says, but by the 1960s, it was called the Turbinia House, named after a ship that sailed the Great Lakes.

Glen, Molinaro and Daly have been doing a lot of work on the place, building a 60-centimetre-high stage at the front, painting the brick walls glossy black and pouring concrete for a new floor for the back room.

When they were ripping up part of a false ceiling over the stage, they came across a stash of more than 20 empty bottles, bunched in with newspapers dating back to 1917.

The bottles now sit on a window sill, labels reading "Hawkins Invalid's Port Wine: Reconstructive Tonic for the Debilitated and Convalescent." There are still corks in them, but the "tonic" is long gone.

When the bar opens Saturday under its new name, there will still be a lot of work to be done. The water pressure sucks and a lot of the trim work will be unfinished. The owners were lucky enough, though, to inherit the sound system from the Pepper Jack Cafe, which closed two weeks ago. They've also talked Pepper Jack soundman Doug Smith to work the mixing board, which is a big plus.

Glen, Daly and Molinaro would like to see the place recapture the same sort of vibe that the Corktown had before it was spruced up.

Molinaro managed and booked the acts for the Corktown during its rock days. Daly knows a fair bit about music, too. He once owned the old Raven club on John Street and owns a vinyl collection that tops 30,000 records.

They hope to be part neighbourhood pub and part rock bar. They've already started booking acts, with ex-Modern Lovers front man Jonathan Richman coming June 24, and Hugh Cornwell of The Stranglers set for Sept. 16.

For information: thisainthollywood.ca or 905-529-9500.

A lot closer to Hollywood, is the glittery new Hess Street club called the Rokbar -- three-storeys of marble, mirrors, chandeliers, state-of-the-art sound systems and long, granite bars that scream out Grey Goose vodka.

On Saturdays and Sundays, The Rokbar is about DJs spinning classic rock, but on other days of the week, especially Thursday, owner Denis Vranich wants high quality live acts. Vranich --who also owns the Gown &Gavel and Elixir across the street -- recently hired Ken Inouye, formerly of the Pepper Jack Cafe, to book the bands for the Rokbar. Tonight, the posh club debuts its live music nights with, The Trews taking the stage.

The Trews, best known for their hit Not Ready To Go, are originally from Nova Scotia, but got their start seven years ago playing Tuesday nights at the old Mermaid basement lounge at Hess and George. The Trews will find things have moved considerably upscale when they plug in tonight at the Rokbar.

The venue takes about 450 people standing, with a rooftop open lounge. There's a good-size balcony framing two sides of the stage and a large HD screen behind the third-floor bar so that patrons won't miss any of the action onstage while they're lounging on the rooftop.

"I want the kind of bands that are playing Lees Palace and the Opera House (in Toronto)," Inouye says. "The kind of bands that are too big for any other club in town and too small for Hamilton Place."

The Old Powerhouse in Stoney Creek has come up with a novel idea to attract budding musicians to the establishment. Next Wednesday the Powerhouse is kicking off a summer-long singer-songwriter competition with the winner taking home a $1,500 cash prize. It will run every Wednesday for 13 weeks, with 10 artists featured each night.

A panel of judges will choose two artists from each night to move on to the semifinals in late August and early September with the finals being held Sept. 9.

The event, organized by Guelph musician Malachi Greenidge, is open to unsigned acts, 16 years of age or older. Registration forms can be picked up at the Old Powerhouse, 905-664-5900. There is a $20 registration fee.

grockingham@thespec.com

905-526-3331

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 1:00 AM
Hammer'd

I had noticed work going on there but I thought it was just being renovated for the same venue. Great location for this place. I hope it stays true to the punk/rock image it is trying to push.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 11:53 PM

Fresh vision for James North

TheSpec.com

Dilapidated rooming house to be reborn as artists’ hub

Meredith MacLeod
A quartet of Hamilton business people take possession of a dilapidated lodging house in the heart of James Street North tomorrow.

By the time they’re done and about $1 million later, the 120-year-old Hotel Hamilton will be converted into working studios for the street’s burgeoning arts community.

The investors hope to attract artists and creative types — painters, media artists, videographers, sound editors, maybe accountants and interior designers — driven out by the high cost of rent in Toronto or who want to move a growing business out of their house.

It’s hoped the first tenants could move into James North StudioWorks in October, but there are a number of city permits and variances to get.

The imposing three-floor structure at the corner of James and Mulberry has seen better days.

The investors figure it will take weeks and numerous dumpsters to clean out the building of junked furniture, worn-out carpet and thousands of square feet of plaster painted bargain-bin colours of orange, purple and pink.

Glen Norton, a business consultant, partnered with insurance broker Dan Lawrie and lawyers Scott Smith and Mike Clarke to find an old building to bring back to life.

After working out a business plan and looking at several properties, they settled on the old Jamesville hotel for $530,000 from a Toronto-based company that bought it close to three years ago.

They know they’ve tackled a big job.

None of them has done a project like this but they are passionate about making a difference in the core.

“There are lots of people with vision who see James as the key to the downtown,” said Norton.

“We need to establish critical mass and build some momentum,” said Smith.

This is considered a key building on James North. It’s large, on a corner and right in the middle of redevelopment happening both north and south of Cannon Street.

Known over the years as the Drake and the Siesta, the hotel was built about 1887 for soldiers training at the armouries across the street.

The investors plan to strip the walls down to expose the exterior and interior brick walls. There are original tongue and groove pine floors to refinish, windows to replace.

Plans call for 17 studios but that could change if artists want bigger spaces. The 9,000-square-foot building will also include a shared boardroom, kitchen and washrooms with showers.

The smallest units will rent for $400 a month, including utilities, with the largest corner units going for $650.

There are four retail units on street level, one occupied by a laundromat linked to the hotel and another is a jeweller.

The investors hope to attract a co-op gallery for artists and perhaps a European-style coffeehouse.

When it’s finished, the building will be run by the Imperial Cotton Centre for the Arts, a local nonprofit that manages three other artists facilities.

To inquire about the project, contact Glen Norton at 905-870-1632 or glennorton@quickclic.net or Jeremy Freiburger at 905-548-0111.

mmacleod@thespec.com
905-526-3408

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 12:09 AM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Very cool, I wanted that place. I wanted to put a coffeeshop there and spend my days watching soldiers walk past :-P

Alas, not enough funds to be able to afford to renovate the building to quite that scale.

Brilliant news for James North. I look forward to sitting in that coffee shop, when it's complete, and watch soldiers walk past

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 2:35 AM

This building should be residential...

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 2:42 AM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

As opposed to studio space?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminecanary View Post
This building should be residential...
My problem with residential for that type of building is that there are already vacant properties in the core, i.e. Trinity Landing project, that have attempted residential, and failed.

Personally, I think downtown Hamilton needs jobs, jobs filled by young people. It should be CSI positioned, http://socialinnovation.ca. Once there are more jobs for young people, that type of residential will follow.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 3:33 AM

Well, I don't mean lofts, condos, etc.

I mean sturdy, clean apartments with character that artists and students can afford to live in.

People want to live in and around james north, but the available units are either too fancy ($) or complete crap.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 4:00 AM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:

I mean sturdy, clean apartments with character that artists and students can afford to live in.

People want to live in and around james north, but the available units are either too fancy ($) or complete crap.
I doubt cheap apartments would net a similar return on investment, as each apartment needs a washroom and kitchen area, increasing the cost and reducing the number of units available.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 5:17 AM

Yup - the business case is clear in the short run - but an oversaturation of studios and nowhere for the artists to live is a bad long term recipe...

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
Very cool, I wanted that place. I wanted to put a coffeeshop there and spend my days watching soldiers walk past :-P
The Annex Lofts had similar plans for its ground floor. Alas, facing Rebecca and not James North. Still vacant after five years, despite its residential and creative class neighbours. A "European-style coffeehouse" isn't something I would've thought James North lacked, but maybe what they want is a Starbucks for their Drake.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 11:17 AM
It's Hammer Time

Great news about the Hotel Hamilton. Used to be a big crack house.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 11:20 AM
It's Hammer Time

Downtown resuscitation project
120-year-old Hamilton Hotel being turned into art studios

July 15, 2009
Meredith Macleod
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Business/article/600145

A quartet of Hamilton business people take possession of a dilapidated lodging house in the heart of James Street North today.

By the time they're done and about $1 million later, the 120-year-old Hotel Hamilton will be converted into working studios for the street's burgeoning arts community.

The investors hope to attract artists and creative types -- painters, media artists, videographers, sound editors, maybe accountants and interior designers -- driven out by the high cost of rent in Toronto or who want to move a growing business out of their house.

It's hoped the first tenants could move into James North StudioWorks in October, but city permits and variances must be gotten first.

The imposing three-floor structure at the corner of James and Mulberry has seen better days.

The investors figure it will take weeks and numerous Dumpsters to clear out the building's junked furniture, worn-out carpet and thousands of square feet of plaster -- painted bargain-bin colours of orange, purple and pink.

Glen Norton, a business consultant, partnered with insurance broker Dan Lawrie and lawyers Scott Smith and Mike Clarke to find an old building to bring back to life.

After working out a business plan and looking at several properties, they settled on the old Jamesville hotel for $530,000 from a Toronto-based company that bought it close to three years ago.

They know they've tackled a big job.

None of them has done a project like this but they are passionate about making a difference in the core.

"There are lots of people with vision who see James as the key to the downtown," said Norton.

"We need to establish critical mass and build some momentum," said Smith.

This is considered a key building on James North. It's large, on a corner and right in the middle of redevelopment happening both north and south of Cannon Street.

Known over the years as the Drake and the Siesta, the hotel was built about 1887 for soldiers training at the armouries across the street.

The investors plan to strip the walls down to expose the exterior and interior brick walls.

There are original tongue-and-groove pine floors to refinish, and windows to replace.

Plans call for 17 studios but that could change if artists want bigger spaces. The 9,000-square-foot building will also include a shared boardroom, kitchen and washrooms with showers.

The smallest units will rent for $400 a month, including utilities, with the largest corner units going for $650.

There are four retail units on street level; one is occupied by a laundromat linked to the hotel and another is a jeweller.

The investors hope to attract a co-op gallery for artists and perhaps a European-style coffeehouse.

Randy, a tenant since 1990, says the street needs this building to be turned around. He's now acting as a security guard for the place.

Randy moved in just about the time the colourful and controversial Reverend Ron Burridge bought Hotel Hamilton.

He rented out daily rooms for $100 a day but eventually switched over to monthly rentals to single men for $400 a month.

A former hair colourist and part-time exorcist, Burridge was outspoken about his dislike of Hamilton and what he considered the rampant problems on James North.

His critics believed his building contributed to the drug and prostitution problems he railed against.

He also often blasted the business association on James North and headed an alternate group that held monthly meetings at his hotel.

Burridge took off for Mexico after selling the building.

At one time, there were 22 tenants but that had dwindled to four or five.

They have all cleared out now. Some have left behind a lot of junk -- stained mattresses, clothes strewn about, furniture that looks like it's weathered a flood.

But there are some treasures, too. The group plans a street sale to get rid of clawfoot tubs and some of the memorabilia of the old hotel.

When it's finished, the building will be run by the Imperial Cotton Centre for the Arts, a local nonprofit that manages three other artist facilities.

"It's fantastic," executive director Jeremy Freiburger says of the new project. "This is one of those spaces on James that tons of people have talked about for years. ... Corner lots tend to be anchors for chunks of the street."

And there is growing demand for spots for artists to work, he says. The ICCA has a waiting list of 25 to 30 people.

Teachers Credit Union, which is financing the James North StudioWorks project, is behind another seven or eight developments on James North, says Tom Wilson, director of commercial services.

He says TCU is firmly behind efforts to resuscitate the downtown.

"We don't have to convince somebody in Toronto why this is a good investment for Hamilton," he said.

"When you have the commitment from these kinds of individuals willing to invest their savings and energy, why wouldn't you want to help those people out?"

To inquire about the project, contact Glen Norton at 905-870-1632 or glennorton@quickclic.net or Jeremy Freiburger at 905-548-0111.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:

Trinity could be converted from a defunct condo project into strudy, clean apartments with character, even with how the outside looks. But there doesn't seem to be a business case for that type of housing in that area. At least not currently, otherwise it would happen.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues