HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Water Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 5:57 PM

PHILADELPHIA | One Water Street | 198 FT | 16 FLOORS

Title: One Water Street
Project: 250 apartments, parking, retail, green space
Architect: Varenhorst
Developer: PMC Property Group
Neighborhood: Penn's Landing
District: Center City
Floors: 16
Height: 198 ft

Quote:
PMC Property Group hopes to break ground on a 250-unit apartment building at 230 N. Columbus Blvd. - near the Ben Franklin Bridge - this July.

The $65 million project, called 1 Water Street, is being designed by Varenhorst. Plans currently call for 166 one-bedroom and 84 two-bedroom apartments, although PMC Executive Vice President Jonathan Stavin said there is still discussion about including some three-bedroom units in the mix as well.
http://planphilly.com/articles/2014/...ranklin-bridge

Last edited by summersm343; Mar 15, 2016 at 1:20 AM.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 12:52 PM

Think with the news of this development that the planned Renaissance Plaza project now gets moving? Or no impact at all?

Seeing this and Renaissance built would really bolster things north of the Ben Franklin Bridge. Even if the buildings are sort of "blah" ... much, much better than an empty lot with over grown grass/weeds, trash etc.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 3:20 PM

http://www.phila.gov/CityPlanning/pr...SUBMISSION.pdf

More renderings and site plan here! Looks like the building will actually top out at 198 feet. Can we get a title update? Thanks!

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 11:14 PM
Monomania w/ Skyscrapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
Think with the news of this development that the planned Renaissance Plaza project now gets moving? Or no impact at all?

Seeing this and Renaissance built would really bolster things north of the Ben Franklin Bridge. Even if the buildings are sort of "blah" ... much, much better than an empty lot with over grown grass/weeds, trash etc.
Agreed, these "blah" buildings can be the catalyst for more retail and dining options which hopefully lead to higher end proposals. This area needs all the momentum it can get.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 2:36 PM

Article on this from Naked Philly

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...ranklin-bridge

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 10:44 PM

I hate to sound off again, but........
This is really ugly...sorry.
the façade, the total square look. those office building windows.
These same developers are not putting much effort in architecture, especially preserving what's left of the decent water view lots.
Not to mention, the "noise" (hehe) of living so close to the high speed line, the endless traffic noise, etc.
I just can't find anything positive about this project at all. After seeing the results of what 1900 Arch really looks like, as opposed to their renderings. The outcome on this is going to be very disappointing. I'm sorry to say.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmikeyphilly View Post

These same developers are not putting much effort in architecture, especially preserving what's left of the decent water view lots.
Not to mention, the "noise" (hehe) of living so close to the high speed line, the endless traffic noise, etc.
I just can't find anything positive about this project at all. After seeing the results of what 1900 Arch really looks like, as opposed to their renderings. The outcome on this is going to be very disappointing. I'm sorry to say.
So should we put you down for a two-bedroom? Or maybe a top-floor penthouse?

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:

I don't think it's terrible ... meh, is my response ... could be worse, could be a lot better. It is ordinary. The good thing is ... the site is being used with some density.

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuyWho View Post
I don't think it's terrible ... meh, is my response ... could be worse, could be a lot better. It is ordinary. The good thing is ... the site is being used with some density.
No, it's not terrible. But what many people just can't get it thru their heads is that, once it's built, it's there for a very long time. Is this the kind of BS that Philly has to settle for? These developers will be long gone, once the "bubble" bursts, and then what? This piece of crap? 1900 Arch will not stand the test of time. It's already outdated. It's ugly, but the developers will make their money then disappear. you think I'm joking? I may not live to see it, cause I'm in my early 60's and ready for the hereafter. But the future generations has to put up with monstrosities like this? No Im not mad, I'm laughing out loud, because I really think it's a joke.

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 4:03 AM

Quote:
No, it's not terrible. But what many people just can't get it thru their heads is that, once it's built, it's there for a very long time. Is this the kind of BS that Philly has to settle for? These developers will be long gone, once the "bubble" bursts, and then what? This piece of crap? 1900 Arch will not stand the test of time. It's already outdated. It's ugly, but the developers will make their money then disappear. you think I'm joking? I may not live to see it, cause I'm in my early 60's and ready for the hereafter. But the future generations has to put up with monstrosities like this? No Im not mad, I'm laughing out loud, because I really think it's a joke.
About as well as those god awful commie block towers it is right next to.

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 12:39 PM
Hello

The angled portion of the building is going to have amazing views of the Ben Franklin Bridge. I like how there is an angled portion. Maybe they will put a restaurant on the top floor. They also placed a lot of open space facing Delaware Avenue, which could be good or bad. Do you want open space or a street front with retail? On the water front, open space may be nice to watch fireworks, etc.

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuyWho View Post
About as well as those god awful commie block towers it is right next to.
Exactly, my point. Why build something mediocre or plain, or ugly. If it's just to get rid of a parking lot, or a weeded, run down plot. I'd rather hold off until something more impressive can be built. Either that, the planning commission should have a bigger voice when it comes to design. This building will be seen from the bridge, and many other vantage or vista views. Do we really want to see this? (forever?) Like I said, it looks too much like 1900 Arch to make me feel comfortable about this project. At least they could have "stepped it" away from the bridge. And get rid of that crappy looking façade. We can do way better.

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
So should we put you down for a two-bedroom? Or maybe a top-floor penthouse?
The Penthouse please..only if it has a bridge view!

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 5:40 PM

The CDR and DRWC had general praise for this project but the CDR requested the developer return for another CDR meeting.

Their suggestions:

Quote:

Focus on using high-quality materials and possibly varying colors on the building facades.

“Articulate” the connection between public spaces on the property—which are being provided in return for height bonuses—and other public spaces near the site.

Focus more on sustainable elements to seek a higher level of LEED certification. The proposal calls for the base level of certification.
http://planphilly.com/articles/2014/...treet-proposal

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 5:46 PM

A bunch of info on this today from Phillyliving.com

http://www.phillyliving.com/blog/201...laware-avenue/

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 2:05 PM

Article on this from Philly.com

Will break ground in July if they get the go ahead from CDR next Tuesday.

http://www.philly.com/philly/columni..._slightly.html

Old Posted Jul 5, 2014, 2:55 PM

This has completed the Civic Design Review.

Hopefully this will now break ground this month like the developers have stated it would.

http://planphilly.com/articles/2014/...-design-review

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 4:54 PM

Another article on this from Phillyliving
http://www.phillyliving.com/blog/201...design-review/

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
This has completed the Civic Design Review.

Hopefully this will now break ground this month like the developers have stated it would.

http://planphilly.com/articles/2014/...-design-review
I haven't ventured down there in a while, like months ... anything going on, any dirt getting kicked around? Or is PMC waiting to get done with 1900 Arch first? Anyone have insight?

This, 205 Race St, and Renaissance ...; will be nice.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 9:24 PM

Changing Skyline: Subsidized housing deal may benefit developers more

Quote:
....But inclusionary housing will never be a replacement for public housing for the very poor. Rather, it targets a different, but growing, demographic: low-wage workers. They're the people who staff the city's restaurants, clean its hotels, and (I suspect) blog at Web start-ups, yet have trouble making ends meet. To qualify, a single person would have to earn less than $32,000 a year.

But the units won't be a free ride by any means. Even with the subsidy, a one-bedroom unit at PMC Property Group's One Water Street, next to the Ben Franklin Bridge, is expected to rent for $942, about half what market-rate tenants will pay in the same building. That's the same as an apartment in a less-expensive neighborhood near Passyunk Avenue or Northern Liberties, so you wonder whom this will help.

Developers may get the better end of the deal. In exchange for providing 25 reduced-price units, PMC was allowed to increase the height of its building by 48 feet, enough to accommodate 55 additional market-rate apartments. A block west at 205 Race, developer Brown Hill won permission to expand its mixed-use apartment house by 33,000 square feet in exchange for setting aside 15 affordable units.

Although both projects have received their zoning bonuses, the city is still figuring out how the programs will work. The zoning code specifies only that developers have to set aside 10 percent of the units in exchange for the extra height and density.

The good news is that Philadelphia will require the affordable units to be dispersed throughout the building, so low-income tenants won't be stuck with the worst apartments. Unlike New York, where developers are allowed to have a separate entrance for the low-income renters - dubbed a "poor door" - tenants will all have the same amenities, says Deputy Mayor Alan Greenberg
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/living/...VLlGaEA6y9J.99

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive