HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 4:01 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global View Post
I mostly lurk and rarely post, but I 100% agree with you on this. We can and will disagree, sure. If the purpose of a platform like this is to share our common interest in our growing and changing city, then handling our disagreements skillfully is the best way to potentially change anyone's mind on an issue. I know my mind has been changed several times over the years on this forum by users posting skillfully and intelligently with mutual respect.

If we just want to perpetuate our culture's polarized tribalism, then yeah, let's tear each other up.
Added an important tidbit.

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global View Post
I mostly lurk and rarely post, but I 100% agree with you on this. We can and will disagree, sure. If the purpose of a platform like this is to share our common interest in our growing and changing city, then handling our disagreements skillfully is the best way to potentially change anyone's mind on an issue. I know my mind has been changed several times over the years on this forum by users posting skillfully and intelligently.

If we just want to perpetuate our culture's polarized tribalism, then yeah, let's tear each other up.

No one is getting torn up. Why are y'all so dramatic? Stop using violent imagery to describe other people sharing their opinion. If you don't like a poster then just block them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I disagree with you and others in the Austin forum who seem to have the attitude that this is not a place for us to be civil to each other. We can all have our opinions and should be able to state them without expecting others to not act like grown-ups. It's not much fun to be here lately.
1) We are talking like grownups because we are grownups. If you don't like how people talk then that's your preference but don't confuse it with some universal standard of correctness. It's arbitrary.

2) Please quote exactly what anyone said that was uncivilized.

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 10:04 PM

CapMetro's presentation on the blue line bridge is finally up.

https://publicinput.com/66701

Regarding the bus option, the one use case they actually call out (the one route we know we'll have) is the metroexpress route on S I35 coming from far south Austin/south suburbs.

it came to mind that it's interesting to compare that use case to the Highway BRT project CM floated when the I35 expansion first came up (with toll roads).

At the time, the total capital cost for that (the transit portion, not the highway in general) was projected at ~120M. That would have traveled from both the north and the south, and would have had at least a couple in-town stations (Rundberg and Slaughter) along with the 45 SE and Tech Ridge end points. The I35 lanes would have been tolled.

https://austinrailnow.com/2017/10/01...ve-boondoggle/

60 million for one direction, traveling in less reliable lanes, with no closer in connectivity seems a lot worse.

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
CapMetro's presentation on the blue line bridge is finally up.

https://publicinput.com/66701

Regarding the bus option, the one use case they actually call out (the one route we know we'll have) is the metroexpress route on S I35 coming from far south Austin/south suburbs.

it came to mind that it's interesting to compare that use case to the Highway BRT project CM floated when the I35 expansion first came up (with toll roads).

At the time, the total capital cost for that (the transit portion, not the highway in general) was projected at ~120M. That would have traveled from both the north and the south, and would have had at least a couple in-town stations (Rundberg and Slaughter) along with the 45 SE and Tech Ridge end points. The I35 lanes would have been tolled.

https://austinrailnow.com/2017/10/01...ve-boondoggle/

60 million for one direction, traveling in less reliable lanes, with no closer in connectivity seems a lot worse.
It's also a bit difficult bc we have no fucking clue what the plan for the convention center is.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 6:14 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
It's also a bit difficult bc we have no fucking clue what the plan for the convention center is.
Please watch the language, youngster.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 8:03 PM

Quote:
I don't need your feedback on how I choose to communicate. Please just block me. Thanks.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 9:42 PM
JACKinBeantown

Question for the SSP community: How do I block someone?

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Question for the SSP community: How do I block someone?
I don't think you can. This forum was built for a time when people were nicer on the internet.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 8:36 AM

I've been in London two weeks, and it has been both amazing and depressing.

Amazing because it's a world-class city, and you truly don't need a car, at all. Almost the entirety of the city (which is almost the size of Houston) is reachable via public transport.

Depressing because I know Austin will never get there.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post

Amazing because it's a world-class city, and you truly don't need a car, at all. Almost the entirety of the city (which is almost the size of Houston) is reachable via public transport.

London is also like 2,000 years old. Austin is less than 200...juts give it a couple hundred more years

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post

I agree with you about London. I used to have business in Colchester, about 50 miles north. Went to London about a dozen times. Great city! Walked most of the time around to most of the attractions and took a Lori for longer excursions like to Winsor Castle and sometimes the bus. As far as Austin goes, I think that for people who work downtown but live in the burbs, the need for massive amounts of transportation improvements may seem unattainable because it will take years to fruition, and then may not be enough because its so overdue and so far behind. We will be giving birth to a new transportation system where others are expanding theirs. We'll get there but it will take time. Austin isn't loaded or concentrated with attractions like London, Chicago, NYC...so walking, especially during HOT summer days isn't desirable. I'll walk all day long in London in the constant drizzle.
Btw, did anyone else know we have spellcheck? I just found out that if you move the curser to the red underlined misspelled word and hit the spacebar, you can select the correct spelling. Everyone here probably already knew this but if not, there you go.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 4:12 PM

Quote:
They can saying what they fucking want, oldster.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
This forum was built for a time when people were nicer on the internet.
People were never 'nicer' on the internet. You're just nostalgia-ing about something that never was.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 4:15 PM

Nueces Street in West Campus to be converted to two-way road

https://www.kut.org/transportation/2...o-two-way-road

The City of Austin will start work this summer to convert one-way Nueces Street between 24th and Guadalupe streets into a two-way thoroughfare — part of a long-planned project that fits with the voter-approved vision to run light-rail down the Drag.

The more immediate changes include installing crosswalks and a traffic signal at Nueces and Guadalupe, just 350 feet south of a signal at Guadalupe and 29th. The traffic lights would be synchronized to prevent vehicles from bunching up.

Nueces Street, which currently runs southbound only, would be re-painted to establish one vehicle lane in each direction, a southbound bicycle lane and space for truck deliveries and street parking. Northbound cyclists are expected to take Guadalupe Street to Hemphill Park and rejoin Guadalupe north of 29th Street.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
People were never 'nicer' on the internet. You're just nostalgia-ing about something that never was.
I've been around forum life a looooong time, and that was some very finely calibrated sarcasm, thank you very much.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 5:29 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
They can saying what they fucking want, oldster.
And here I was under the impression you were a nice person, based on your impressive contribution to this forum. I can separate the two and tell you that I do appreciate all the positivity you add.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 6:10 PM

Quote:
And here I was under the impression you were a nice person, based on your impressive contribution to this forum. I can separate the two and tell you that I do appreciate all the positivity you add.
I don't think you are a nice person. Talking to other people like they are customer service that need to use vocabulary that you approve of isn't nice. It's not for you to say that I have to say "freaking idea" instead of "fucking idea".

I get that you think there is a universal standard of decency however it's cultural in more ways than one and honestly it speaks to privilege but I don't know anything about you so I won't assume.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 6:28 PM

Yeah it's the internet y'all, who cares about language? there's much worse things out there.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I've been around forum life a looooong time, and that was some very finely calibrated sarcasm, thank you very much.
Touché.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 8:31 PM

Quote:
I called out your comment because it was shitty ('bad' words, what are those?) and condescending (youngster). Firstly, there is no such thing as 'bad' words. Words are words. No need to pearl clutch over language markings. Secondly, I used 'oldster' in the same way 'youngster' was used. It was a mirror being held up. That is all. If that made you feel bad or attacked or whatever...then point proven. I would say remember that feeling the next time you might want to say it to someone else.

I'm just a person. I might be nice, I might be good, I might be bad, I might be an asshole, I might be anything and I might be everything. I don't hold anything against you, I just think that comment was a shitty comment. Please continue to contribute as I will continue to contribute.

FYI: If you want to block someone, tap on their name, and then you'll see an option to block that person.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin