HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smendesPDX View Post
Am I the only one who things the utility section of the top of the building is a bit too big and ugly?!?!?!
I'm with you on that one. I kept wondering what they were going to do with that steel frame above the penthouse. I was expecting maybe an amazing atrium or something. Then it turned out to be the hvac. I feel like they were trying to sveltely beautify the utilities on the roof, but it ended up just emphasizing them in a major way. It's really too bad. The tower of the building is beautiful otherwise. As a more general point, I don't like when a building is oriented in a directional manner. That's what the steel frame does to the Broadway side of this building. It says, this is the front, and I am heading east. The Benson condo has a similar directional, ship-like look.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 6:19 PM

Give it a couple years, and the third and eighth photos in that series won't be too far off.

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 7:26 AM
shozbot!

Here's an article with some pics of the Cyan from Brian Libby. I like how it shows the viewpoints of the city, looking from different vantage points, within the apartments. They've sure got this building about wrapped up.

(Also a nice article-- more on the streetcar loop if you scroll down a little more.... good news that we ALL will take!!)

http://www.portlandarchitecture.com/

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 5:32 PM

Cyan Today

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 10:57 PM

Cyan is open, and is activly moving in tenants.

http://cyanpdx.com/blog/2009/05/09/c...new-residents/

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 1:23 AM

I noticed that this weekend. Building still has a ton of exterior work to do, but the outside area is looking really nice. Landscape is great.

People are out throwing a frisbee on the turf right now (is it creepy that I am typing that? Sorry Cyan residence!)

Building is what it is. If it enlivens the area, eventually draws some local ground floor retail, it will be a major asset to this neighborhood.

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 3:36 PM

Oh wow, move in already? I walked by in the park last week and the common yard area is still a big mess.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 8:46 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

Have most of the units sold?

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 3:59 PM

These units are apartments now.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 8:56 PM

From the Cyan blog:

Quote:
Today is the day, Cyan/PDX Grand Opening Event!! 4:30 to 9pm

Join us at 1720 SW 4th Ave for tours, music, food, drinks, and plenty of fun. Take a tour and get entered in our drawing for a free Nike iPod Sport Kit, Nike employee store passes, or a free keg! Our drawing for the Bianchi bike is also taking place today, so don’t miss it!

Hope to see you there…

Old Posted Jun 28, 2009, 3:56 AM
momentum

we need more cool places in downtown

i like the cyan for bringing cool back to the neighborhood. the prices are pretty high, but it should aspire other developers to work on smaller, or renovated projects to keep the cool factor high in this part of portland. living downtown in many ways has so many other fringe benefits, and letting people have that opportunity will only propogate further urban living which makes for a liveable city.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 4:56 PM

I went to check out the units and I really liked the model 1 bedroom unit on the 8th floor. The view is very nice (mt. hood) and the floorplan flows quite well. The ceiling is high and made it feel spacious. The rent is $1600 though, that's very pricey for a 1 bedroom.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 4:59 AM

Pics of the east side of the building and the elevated greenspace overlooking Pettygrove Park last Thursday. Pretty nice.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 1:25 PM
~

i looked at this building a few weeks back. Nice but the bedrooms were really small. The building felt lonely as well in its location. If we would have moved to Portland and we could afford the larger two-bedroom units, this would have been our preferred choice despite some of the drawbacks.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
...after an earthquake.

One aspect that I miss from at least one of the Cyan renderings is the glass was to wrap around the vertical corners, without trim. It looked more modern/sophisticated that way. Perhaps this was undone for cost-cutting purposes?
I assume you're refering to a butt-glazed corner. If so, I believe city engineering review's take on interstory drift precludes this detail. I suppose a structural-glazed version is possible...but I'm not familiar with the curtain wall issues in this building. Money/value is always an issue.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 1:59 AM

the construction trailer moved off site today.

Building looks to be 30% full or so, maybe more.

Street level interface is not bad, backside of 3rd street is just fine.

Don't like the color of the siding and the windows (cyan nowhere)
but yeah, it's a nice addition, way better than the crap that was there before.

Next up, the lot to the south and then the one to the west!!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 2:36 AM
shozbot!

From the DJC:

Sale of Cyan/PDX sends a clear signal
POSTED: Thursday, December 3, 2009 at 05:03 PM PT
BY: Nathalie Weinstein
Gerding Edlen’s creed of 20-minute living was exemplified in Cyan/PDX. The building, which offers modest-sized apartments near Portland State University and alternative transportation, was designed to show that people can live small and sustainably, while enjoying the perks of an urban setting.

Developer Mark Edlen still believes in the 20-minute neighborhood, but his dream of replicating multifamily, urban infill projects within Portland is on hold.

“We saw a downturn coming (before the recession),” Edlen says. “We just didn’t see how deep it would be and how large an impact it would have across our economy. I don’t think I’m the only one surprised by the depth and breadth of this downturn.”

Cyan/PDX, which opened in May, is only 40-percent leased; its sale to a Texas-based commercial real estate firm is pending. Now Edlen wonders when he’ll be able to develop a similar project in Portland.

When it became apparent in 2008 that condos weren’t selling, Gerding Edlen decided to convert Cyan/PDX from condos to apartments. Selling the building became part of the company’s business plan.

The multifamily market is expected to begin to stabilize in late 2010 or early 2011, according to an analysis by Beth DuPont and Gary Winkler of Colliers International, but Edlen said it may be a while before his company develops more housing in Portland.

“I think apartments will be the first thing to come back,” Edlen said. “But until we get to the point where the return warrants the need, you won’t see a lot of new construction. Right now we’re trying to take advantage of our sustainable solutions to help others outside of Portland with their buildings. But it’s not as much fun as working in Portland.”

On Nov. 20, Behringer Harvard Multifamily OP I LP entered into an agreement to purchase the 352-unit apartment building from 4th & Harrison Investors LLC for $65 million, according to documents filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

The potential sale was a surprise to Cyan resident Nyco Herzog, but she said she has seen signs over the last year that Gerding Edlen’s vision for the project wasn’t going to develop.

“It feels like any other apartment building,” Herzog said. “They used to have movies on Friday nights, and they stopped doing those. The only people in the common areas are college kids. The staff does a great job, but I don’t think it has become a community.”

But Damin Tarlow, a development manager with Gerding Edlen, said his vision for the building is coming along, and that the lack of activity is related to weather and not a lack of community.

“We had a lot of events out on our plaza during the summer that were well attended,” Tarlow said. “With winter coming, we’re doing more events in the building’s common rooms. We had a mini-Street of Dreams a few weeks ago where people opened their apartments to their neighbors. My sense is that people are happy.”

The slow trickle of incoming tenants, Herzog said, could have something to do with a lack of tenant participation in her community. When she and her husband moved into the building in May, Herzog said it was “dark and depressing” and mostly empty.

“There are more people on the floors now and the garage is full of cars,” Herzog said. “But I think because they had such a hard time leasing it, the ideal hasn’t realized itself.”

Edlen cited Portland’s Central Business District as he reemphasized his support for mixed-use, transportation-oriented projects. But the recession won’t be forgotten. And with high unemployment, the demand for new multifamily housing doesn’t exist right now.

“I like to think positively that our large unemployment rate is related to young people migrating here without jobs because of the city’s livability,” Edlen says. “Maybe they will become the new businesses that lead our region out of this recession. But when job growth goes backwards, you’re creating excess capacity with new projects. We have to have enough job growth to warrant new construction.”

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland