HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 6:38 AM

Clay + Tiffany Apartments (1110 SW Clay) | 16 floors | 163'-9" | Proposed

A Pre-Application Conference has scheduled by SERA Architects to discuss a project at 1110 SW Clay St:

Quote:
Proposal is for new construction of a 260 unit, 16 story affordable multi-family student apartment building.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 6:43 AM

Two thoughts:
  1. There's already a rather pair of rather lovely historic apartment buildings on the block, which I'll be sad to see go.
  2. Between the four new quarter block buildings there's the potential for 556 units on this single block. I wonder if that would make it the densest block in the city?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 10:17 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Two thoughts:
  1. There's already a rather pair of rather lovely historic apartment buildings on the block, which I'll be sad to see go.
  2. Between the four new quarter block buildings there's the potential for 556 units on this single block. I wonder if that would make it the densest block in the city?
Regarding your Item 1, I too will be sad to see two handsome brick buildings of 'more-affordable-than-new-construction' apartments come down. They are not small either; one has 5 stories and the other has 6 stories. They are important if we are to maintain any semblance of Portland's historic character. Furthermore, it would be far better if parking lots in the area redeveloped. For instance, less than a block away, at the NE corner of 11th & Market is just such a parking lot, on the Streetcar line and across from PSU. I would be happy if that were the site for the proposed 16-story building.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
Regarding your Item 1, I too will be sad to see two handsome brick buildings of 'more-affordable-than-new-construction' apartments come down. They are not small either; one has 5 stories and the other has 6 stories. They are important if we are to maintain any semblance of Portland's historic character. Furthermore, it would be far better if parking lots in the area redeveloped. For instance, less than a block away, at the NE corner of 11th & Market is just such a parking lot, on the Streetcar line and across from PSU. I would be happy if that were the site for the proposed 16-story building.
The parking lot on 11th and Market has already been replaced with a 67 unit building. The 1110 building is being developed by College Housing Northwest (non-profit) who own the building being replaced. Unfortunately in the market today I don't believe that they have the capital necessary to purchase more land. There is a severe shortage of housing geared towards students and their plan is simply to add density where they can.

I agree that a surface lot would be a much better idea but I don't think it would be financially possible.

Last edited by clint_; Jan 27, 2017 at 4:48 PM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clint_ View Post
The parking lot on 11th and Market has already been replaced with a 67 unit building. The 1110 building is being developed by College Housing Northwest (non-profit) who own the building being replaced. Unfortunately in the market today I don't believe that they have the capital necessary to purchase more land. There is a severe shortage of housing geared towards students and their plan is simply to add density where they can.

I agree that a surface lot would be a much better idea but I don't think it would be financially possible.
Sorry 'bout that, if true. On Google Street View, the property I am referring to (directly south of and adjacent to the Benson Tower) is/was a parking lot.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
Sorry 'bout that, if true. On Google Street View, the property I am referring to (directly south of and adjacent to the Benson Tower) is/was a parking lot.
The lot to the south of the Benson Tower is the LDS property. What looks like a surface lot is actually parking that extends under the building, no way to develop it without replacing the building.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 12:39 AM

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 12:45 AM

As to the economics of demolition vs new construction: according to PortlandMaps, these two property have a combined market value of $8,451,730. Assuming an institutional investor would pay that, I'm sure College Housing Northwest could purchase a quarter block of downtown property for well below that price. For instance, St Mary's Acadamy paid only $7,600,000 for the full block post office property (admittedly 4 years ago, in a much cooler market, but still...)

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 1:40 AM

Quote:
As to the economics of demolition vs new construction: according to PortlandMaps, these two property have a combined market value of $8,451,730. Assuming an institutional investor would pay that, I'm sure College Housing Northwest could purchase a quarter block of downtown property for well below that price. For instance, St Mary's Acadamy paid only $7,600,000 for the full block post office property (admittedly 4 years ago, in a much cooler market, but still...)
Imagine if College Housing Northwest had sold the two buildings for $8.5 million and used a portion of the proceeds to buy a quarter block parking lot near PSU to build their new 16-story residential building. They would have been ahead financially without the hassle of evicting tenants and without the cost of demolition. Furthermore the more affordable housing in the existing buildings would be preserved.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 8:41 PM

Design Advice has been requested by SERA Architects for a project at 1110 SW Clay St:

Quote:
A new mixed use building for student housing. Commercial space is proposed on the ground floor. The sixteen story building would have 260 units. There would be a mix of studios, and one and two bedroom units. No on-site parking is proposed. A loading space is proposed with access from SW Clay.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 7:11 PM

Applicant Presentation [6 MB] and staff memo from yesterday's DAR.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 11:23 PM

DAR #2 Presentation [68 MB]

DAR #3 Presentation [45MB]

Project has now been submitted for Design Review

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 2:53 AM

Quote:
DAR #2 Presentation [68 MB]

DAR #3 Presentation [45MB]

Project has now been submitted for Design Review
I'm so not a fan of Sera's painterly drawings. I can't help but feel like they conveniently obscure the mediocrity of their work.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 9:20 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Is this student housing? Affordable housing? It's almost entirely studios - which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I'm surprised.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 11:30 PM

Yes

Quote:
A Pre-Application Conference has scheduled by SERA Architects to discuss a project at 1110 SW Clay St:

Quote:
Proposal is for new construction of a 260 unit, 16 story affordable multi-family student apartment building.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 7:09 PM

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 1:09 AM

Staff Report, which does not yet recommend approval.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 12:59 AM

Presentation [33MB] from yesterday's DR hearing.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 3:34 AM

Its a big improvement from where they started. Much more mature and coherent.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QAtheSky View Post
Its a big improvement from where they started. Much more mature and coherent.
Totally agree. I'm pretty excited about this neighborhood right now. There's not a lot of press, but this area is getting incredibly dense, quickly.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland