HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 7:04 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopdx View Post
I believe the City of Portland historically, has frowned on river docks etc...
Historically, there was a highway where Waterfront Park is, which cut the city off from the river. Connecting a restaurant to the outer-shoulder of a highway with no way for people to cross the highway to reach it and nowhere for them to park wouldn't have made any sense.

Realistically, the only way to turn Portland's waterfront into a restaurant and shopping sort of destination would have been to tear out Naito when Harbor Drive was being removed to create Waterfront Park, or at least, turn Naito into a typical 2 lane city street instead of a major throughway, but that would have meant rerouting most of that traffic elsewhere. It would have been great if it happened, but it didn't, so the city continued growing away from the river rather than toward it.

Anybody remember McCall's restaurant? It had a location that, on paper, seems like it should have been magnificent. It was right on Waterfront Park in the middle of downtown next to Salmon Street Springs fountain. What a location! But it was always struggling, barely getting by 9 months of the year because there's not enough foot traffic, even there. Why not? Naito. All that traffic creates an inhospitable environment for pedestrians.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 7:50 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Historically, there was a highway where Waterfront Park is, which cut the city off from the river. Connecting a restaurant to the outer-shoulder of a highway with no way for people to cross the highway to reach it and nowhere for them to park wouldn't have made any sense.

Realistically, the only way to turn Portland's waterfront into a restaurant and shopping sort of destination would have been to tear out Naito when Harbor Drive was being removed to create Waterfront Park, or at least, turn Naito into a typical 2 lane city street instead of a major throughway, but that would have meant rerouting most of that traffic elsewhere. It would have been great if it happened, but it didn't, so the city continued growing away from the river rather than toward it.

Anybody remember McCall's restaurant? It had a location that, on paper, seems like it should have been magnificent. It was right on Waterfront Park in the middle of downtown next to Salmon Street Springs fountain. What a location! But it was always struggling, barely getting by 9 months of the year because there's not enough foot traffic, even there. Why not? Naito. All that traffic creates an inhospitable environment for pedestrians.

Is that where the information center is now?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 9:20 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
Is that where the information center is now?
Yeah. It used to be a restaurant called McCall's (and probably a few other names through the years). I remember a time back in 1999 when the food was great. They had a large patio in back, facing the river. It was a wonderful spot for dinner and drinks on a summer evening.

But that's the thing. The place was hopping during summer, but who's going to go there during the rest of the year? Nobody. On paper, or on a computer screen, it probably looks like an amazing location. Go there tomorrow afternoon and walk around. You'll realize why it didn't work.

This thread is about the Centennial Mills site, which faces even greater challenges than the McCall's location. It's completely cut off from everything, and everything it's cut off from is already separated from it by Fields Park. Fields Park is great, but look how big it is. Look how far away the edge of the nearest buildings in The Pearl are. Even if they build a sky bridge connecting the site to Fields Park, it's still such a distance that they'd get very little foot traffic. I expect any retail built at this site to struggle. Turning it into an entertainment district would be a huge failure.

There's a difference between what you see on your computer screen in your bedroom in Longview, Gresham, or Woodburn, and what you'd see if you actually spent time walking through the site - not driving past it. Walking through it and around it.

This goes back to understanding the difference between picture postcard pretty and actually living there.

On a closing note: One of my fondest memories of McCall's was sitting on the patio one evening, as the Hawthorne Bridge restoration project was wrapping up back in 1999. The bridge kept slowly going up and down, up and down. I assume they were testing. I don't know why, but it was oddly satisfying to watch.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 5:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Yeah. It used to be a restaurant called McCall's (and probably a few other names through the years). I remember a time back in 1999 when the food was great. They had a large patio in back, facing the river. It was a wonderful spot for dinner and drinks on a summer evening.

But that's the thing. The place was hopping during summer, but who's going to go there during the rest of the year? Nobody. On paper, or on a computer screen, it probably looks like an amazing location. Go there tomorrow afternoon and walk around. You'll realize why it didn't work.

This thread is about the Centennial Mills site, which faces even greater challenges than the McCall's location. It's completely cut off from everything, and everything it's cut off from is already separated from it by Fields Park. Fields Park is great, but look how big it is. Look how far away the edge of the nearest buildings in The Pearl are. Even if they build a sky bridge connecting the site to Fields Park, it's still such a distance that they'd get very little foot traffic. I expect any retail built at this site to struggle. Turning it into an entertainment district would be a huge failure.

There's a difference between what you see on your computer screen in your bedroom in Longview, Gresham, or Woodburn, and what you'd see if you actually spent time walking through the site - not driving past it. Walking through it and around it.

This goes back to understanding the difference between picture postcard pretty and actually living there.

On a closing note: One of my fondest memories of McCall's was sitting on the patio one evening, as the Hawthorne Bridge restoration project was wrapping up back in 1999. The bridge kept slowly going up and down, up and down. I assume they were testing. I don't know why, but it was oddly satisfying to watch.
thanks for the explanation but I must correct you I’m from north east Portland off of MLK.. other than that thanks again

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 5:49 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:

Yes, indeed. McCall's Restaurant occupied a significant work of architecture by John Yeon, which is now the HQ for the Rose Festival Association. I believe Yeon created one of the only International Style buildings using plywood. He was unhappy with remodeling that occurred to convert it to a restaurant and wished the building would be demolished instead. I hope that the building is fully restored one day.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
I think that any business or public entity that wants to build anything onto or into the Willamette River will hit a wall of regulations by multiple public agencies, City, State, and Federal.
Not sure what the landscape is exactly at that part of the waterfront, but seems like they could just include restaurant space on the ground level of future development, adjacent to the walking path?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Plans for Centennial Mills continue to be refined

More details of the highly anticipated redevelopment of Centennial Mills emerged during a Portland Design Commission design advice hearing on Thursday.

MLR Ventures plans to revitalize the iconic property, which has sat vacant along the Willamette River, at 1362 N.W. Naito Parkway, for nearly two decades. The firm seeks to construct three five-story buildings holding approximately 277 residential units, 244 parking stalls in a shared underground garage, and 4,100 square feet of retail space. The latter is a substantial increase from the 400 square feet initially proposed.

Plans for the 4.5-acre site also include a greenway trail adjacent to the river, public plazas, a river overlook, and potentially water access for people with kayaks or paddleboards via a small ramp. However, approval for water access is still being sought, SERA Architects principal Kurt Schultz said.

The most significant change to the redevelopment proposal since the team’s previous design advice meeting in September involve relocating the water tower from the public plaza to atop one of the buildings, akin to where the iconic Portland feature sits today. Additionally, an overlook tower has been added to one of the public plazas as a marker for a city-planned pedestrian bridge over Naito Parkway from Fields Park. The tower is conceptual at this point.

...continues at the DJC ($).

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 17, 2023, 11:56 PM

I feel like we have two big opportunities to maximize the waterfront already in the works. Look at the South Waterfront Park developments that are in the works. This area has a similar amount of river front between the Hawthorne and Marquam bridge as the Vancouver Waterfront, but even more depth from the river to the Western boundary, and potential for taller buildings in parts of it, than Vancouver's Waterfront. As mentioned previously, the OMSI district has great access to the waterfront, especially South of the Marquam Bridge and there is already the established Eastbank Esplanade over there with a pier jutted out over the water.

(Photo I took from the pier on Eastbank Esplanade by OMSI)

With the Zidell Yards and OHSU properties being developed eventually in the future. There will likely be multiple "Vancouver Waterfront-esque" areas around the core of Portland.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 5:29 PM

Centennial Mills has been submitted for a Type III design review:

Quote:
The Centennial Mills Redevelopment is a 3-building project on the historic Centennial Mills site along the Willamette River in the Pearl District. The buildings range from 5 to 6 stories and have basement parking. The project also includes development of the greenway park and trail along the river. The project is mixed use residential with 281 apartment units, retail space along Naito, and 174 parking stalls. Stormwater will be treated and detained through eco roofs and stormwater planters.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 8:08 PM
Mostly Up To Code

They've started to take down the roof over the horse track. Finally seeing some movement on this after it's been dormant awhile!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveOverPun View Post
They've started to take down the roof over the horse track. Finally seeing some movement on this after it's been dormant awhile!
Horse track? What is that?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
Horse track? What is that?
*Horse Barn

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 4:18 PM
Mostly Up To Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsg34 View Post
*Horse Barn
The big aluminum (?) roof thing.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveOverPun View Post
The big aluminum (?) roof thing.
Yeah, forgive my ignorance, what is the connection between horses and centennial mills?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 6:17 PM

That's where they kept the horses the Portland Police used. They had a small covered training ground.

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/...ed_patrol.html

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nob View Post
That's where they kept the horses the Portland Police used. They had a small covered training ground.

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/...ed_patrol.html
Oh interesting. Didn't realize.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland