HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 24, 2007, 9:20 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
It's really hard to say. On one hand yes the winters are milder (but far more inconsistent), if you are used to the winter here and the outdoor sports/activites that can be counted on from December to March, I think it would be a poor trade.

As for the mountains - yes your average person seems to put more importance on mountains for prestige factor, but for me personally they're a great place to visit every couple years. I'd rather have the proximity to the lakes, shield country, etc.
Everyone has different tastes, but it doesnt make one centre more affordable than another.

Some like the mountains for skiing, hiking, snowboarding and the view. Some like the lakes for swimming, fishing and boating. At the end of the day this doesnt make either place better on the whole. Just more attractive to certain groups of people.

It also doesnt determine who is living a more "fulfilled life". Whatever that is supposed to mean.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2007, 9:45 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
@TV - not sure what constitutes enough "fulfilled life", but I believe many would find enough difference between Winnipeg and Calgary to want to pay extra (milder winters and mountains being the top two).
i am sure for some, but for me personally, there are no more professional opportunities in alberta than there are here.

mountains dont thrill me....they are beautiful for sure, but 99% of calgarians dont ski more than once or twice a winter....if i wanted to ski, the $99 flight wouldnt be a problem.....my friends who were die hard skiers when they left, now rarely ski living in calgary or vancouver.

i play a lot of hockey in the winter...many of my friends snowmobile....i often go skating at my local community club outdoors....that isnt as easy to do in calgary....

personally i wouldnt trade the lakes and cottage country of manitoba for the tourist infested mountains....outdoor opportunities are just as available here, especially if you are not part of the 1% who downhill ski....i have never actually seen the recreational opportunity of mountains...besides walking in them, what do you do?...the lakes are too cold to really swim in....at higher altitudes the summers are crappy....i like lazing at the beach or on the dock in the hot summer sun.

i also like hot summers to drive my convertible in

it all just depends what you like to do....professionally i could not do any better and as far as recreation goes there is no more opportunity in any of canada's second tier cities than there is here....it might be different elsewhere but no more plentiful.

Last edited by trueviking; Jan 25, 2007 at 12:41 AM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2007, 9:53 PM
surely you agree with me

i was really talking about urban quality though, not outdoor recreation i am a city guy, not a camping guy....edmonton, calgary and winnipeg all offer similar levels of urban quality....i might be willing to pay more for something different in montreal or vancouver though....that is a different lifestyle

Last edited by trueviking; Jan 25, 2007 at 12:42 AM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2007, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
i was really talking about urban quality though, not outdoor recreation i am a city guy, not a camping guy....edmonton, calgary and winnipeg all offer similar levels of urban quality....i might be willing to pay more for something different in montreal or vancouver though....because that is where it is available and that is what i find appealing.
Agreed, actually, besides NHL. there is more to do in Winnipeg culturally. Calgary is still a cultural wasteland. No one can debate the comparisons. (Bands, Ballet, Opera, plays, Symphony, Summer events etc..) How many international known bands/singers come from Calgary?

Wpg has as many restaurants/bars. Shopping is better in Calgary but beyond that the main reason people choose Calgary is the economy which breeds energy and how young it is... Times are good in Cowtown..

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 12:26 AM
Movin' on up

double post

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 12:31 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
As for the mountains - yes your average person seems to put more importance on mountains for prestige factor, but for me personally they're a great place to visit every couple years. I'd rather have the proximity to the lakes, shield country, etc.
Couldn't have said it better myself

Mountains are just giant piles of earth; they are nice but for me they are the "yeah whatever" factor. I'll take abundance of lakes anyday

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 12:36 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Worse yet, some might experience claustrophobia - like my parents when we went to go visit our Uncle in Whistler. They were from Central/Eastern Alberta.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeeg View Post
^^The only problem with taking a median is that it is NOT the average...For example, Regina has a median of house price of $115,000 but the average should be about $140,000 from what I hear...

To arrive at the median, you would simply take all the samples and stack them in order...If there are 99 samples, the 50th number would be the median...Thus, if your sample size shows a lot of houses that are at the low end of the spectrum, that would skew the median to the left and misrepresent the figures...

For example, if the first 50th number in the sample is 100,000 and the 51st number is 1,000,000 and the 99th number is 1 trillion, the median would still be 100,000 and not indiciative of the average which would be substantially higher than the 100,000 that it shows...

It would be interesting to see what the "Average" house price vs "Average" income is for all cities...
In fact it's exactly the opposite. In two samples, one evenly distributed, and the other with large number of extreme values at the lower end of the distribution, all else being equal, the medians of the two would be roughly equal. Assuming that the large number of values does not exceed fifty percent, in which case the median ought to be that much lower anyways.

The average for a distribution is a LOT more prone to be skewed by outlier values. Would you rather know the price for which half the houses are cheaper and half the house are more expensive or some "average" which simply tells you what the sum of housing prices looks like?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 2:15 AM

TV - now I understand what you mean...however, the outdoors are just different (you'd be equally disappointed by Vancouver's relatively cool summers to drive your convertible in as well).

From an "urban" perspective - I know you've been to Calgary - but I have found Calgary to be better than Winnipeg...and that of course is only going to get better (my personal experience is from 4-7 years ago). But yes, I see your point that it is no where near TO or Montreal, and still behind Vancouver as well.

@Pegger5 - how many "international" bands/singers still reside in the Peg?? What does that have to do with it anyway :-)? Yes, Winnipeg is quite strong culturally - but I argue its getting better all the time in Calgary, and its different anyway. And Calgary has far better restaurants (with the exception of 529, which is one of my favourite in Canada - I'm a sucker for good steak).

Anyway - TV, I agree that "overall" it is very personal decisions. I was simply stating it from a larger audience perspective. Winnipeg is a great city - always will be - and the drastic jump in "affordability" (i.e. housing prices) in Calgary/Edm will have a lot of people reconsidering for sure.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 2:34 AM
Movin' on up

In terms of Calgary, I am really dissapointed in what has happened to that city in terms of it's overall attitude.

10-20 years ago, when my uncle resided out there, I loved that city! I went out there almost on a yearly basis (that was my annual vacation) and was always dissapointed to leave. The people were so warm and friendly, and welcomed tourists from every corner on Earth.

Now it has done a complete 180 on itself. I find many people there phoney and pretentious. You mention that you are from Winnipeg, and oh man, the insults start flying! "Fuckin' Winnipeg; dirty, scummy, frozen wasteland, blah blah blah blah blah blah. It's sooooooooooooo much better here in Calgary, yadda yadda yadda" Again, not everyone there acts in this manner, but this is how I find many people talk about other centre's, especially my hometown and it makes me sick to my stomach; talk about an embarrasement on Caglary's part!

I never found this to be the case years ago, but now it's just rediculous and annoying. I understand that Calgary is enjoying some high times at the moment, but to go around with inflated ego's and talking like your king shit of the land is just unnecessary and immature.

Unless by necessity or just passing through, I will never enter that city again. The beauty on the outside doesn't compensate for the uglyness on the inside. I really miss the old Calgary! Where did it go?

I guess this gives an explanation for my signature, eh? lol

Last edited by Greco Roman; Jan 25, 2007 at 3:25 AM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 5:00 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy View Post
In terms of Calgary, I am really dissapointed in what has happened to that city in terms of it's overall attitude.

10-20 years ago, when my uncle resided out there, I loved that city! I went out there almost on a yearly basis (that was my annual vacation) and was always dissapointed to leave. The people were so warm and friendly, and welcomed tourists from every corner on Earth.

Now it has done a complete 180 on itself. I find many people there phoney and pretentious. You mention that you are from Winnipeg, and oh man, the insults start flying! "Fuckin' Winnipeg; dirty, scummy, frozen wasteland, blah blah blah blah blah blah. It's sooooooooooooo much better here in Calgary, yadda yadda yadda" Again, not everyone there acts in this manner, but this is how I find many people talk about other centre's, especially my hometown and it makes me sick to my stomach; talk about an embarrasement on Caglary's part!

I never found this to be the case years ago, but now it's just rediculous and annoying. I understand that Calgary is enjoying some high times at the moment, but to go around with inflated ego's and talking like your king shit of the land is just unnecessary and immature.

Unless by necessity or just passing through, I will never enter that city again. The beauty on the outside doesn't compensate for the uglyness on the inside. I really miss the old Calgary! Where did it go?

I guess this gives an explanation for my signature, eh? lol

Its funny because I come across the same misconceptions about Winnipeg here as well. A couple people from the work who went to the Grey Cup couldn't stop saying how surprisingly beautiful Winnipeg was ... which was a 180 from what they were saying before they left. I just told them they should see it in summer.. they would be in for a real treat.

It seems people here in Calgary only know Calgary and seem to think its the best because the media here continously repeats it in the desparate attempt to keep the people satisfied. The reality is Calgary has declined many levels in terms of quality of life in the last 10 years. It is not nearly as attractive as it once was. Now its exactly what it promotes itself as a... boomtown. It does have economic opportunity, but is lacking in most other ways... almost a bigger version of Fort McMurray. It all feels so temporary, which may account for the lack of community. It is in such a hurry to make a quick buck it levels some of its public attractions, such as Eau Clair and Penny Lane for highrises. I guess thats the cost of being a boomcity. I think Calgary would have been a much nicer city if it grew at a slower rate and enhanced its public ammenities and quality of life. Each day it feels more like a bank machine .. a fancy new bank machine, but still a bank machine.

As for the mountains ... well they are nice I admit, although I have been here for almost 2 years and have been there 3 times. For me I'd take the powder soft sands of the amazing beaches around Winnipeg over the moutains anyday. I do enjoy looking at the moutains from my office though.. very nice.

I wonder what it would be like to work at an office building overlooking the lake.

Last edited by newflyer; Jan 25, 2007 at 5:23 AM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 5:16 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Amen. Calgary is due for a bust anyways.

In a sick way, i'm kinda actually looking forward to an empty Encana tower or some other pompous mega structure in downtown Calgary.

In Winnipeg's defense, i'm pretty certain that everybody from outside Calgary gets ragged on. Would people's reaction be any different if you told them you were from Hamilton, Edmonton or Saskatoon?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 5:18 AM
Canadian Urbanite

I don't really see the point in debating what city is better. Obviously everyone has a different formula for basing their opinion.

I could never live in Toronto, but obviously millions of people disagree with me. Calgary is nice to go once in a while. I enjoy seeing the mountains, the zoo, the hustle and bustle. But that doesn't mean I would ever want to live there. And obviously many people would never want to live in Regina with the slower pace of life.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 5:20 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Amen. Calgary is due for a bust anyways.

In a sick way, i'm kinda actually looking forward to an empty Encana tower or some other pompous mega structure in downtown Calgary.

In Winnipeg's defense, i'm pretty certain that everybody from outside Calgary gets ragged on. Would people's reaction be any different if you told them you were from Hamilton, Edmonton or Saskatoon?
Nope.. infact Edmonton gets it the worst.... the two Saskatchewan cities also take it pretty hard, as does Winnipeg. Places like Hamilton aren't really even acknowleged, but kinda just pooled into the hell of eastern Canada.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 5:24 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Nope.. infact Edmonton gets it the worst.... the two Saskatchewan cities also take it pretty hard, as does Winnipeg. Places like Hamilton aren't really even acknowleged, but kinda just pooled into the hell of eastern Canada.
Ohh well..people from Vancouver and Toronto look down on Calgary, so I suppose status is a relative thing.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 5:29 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Ohh well..people from Vancouver and Toronto look down on Calgary, so I suppose status is a relative thing.
.... thats being generious. The eastern media still projects Calgary as a redneck cowtown, which many people in Canada think of when Calgary is mentioned.

Yes Calgary is a pickup truck loving stampede town... but should that be held against it?? Using Calgary's norrow minded views of the rest of Canada I would have to say yes.... but then again I could be wrong.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 5:30 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
I don't really see the point in debating what city is better. Obviously everyone has a different formula for basing their opinion.
Your definitely right CCF, every city has its own charm. Winnipeg beats Calgary hands down in terms of the quality of our built environment.

Hundred year old buildings, and character neighbourhoods built around street car lines rather than power centers make it hard for an 'urban enthusiast' like myself to trade in Winnipeg's grit / charm for tourist traps and mountains.

If folks in the suburbs weren't so scared of downtown we'd probably have a pretty decent street life too.

You just can't find these sorts of things in newer places like Edmonton and Calgary.

In the end, it all comes down to what you look for in a city. Winnipeg is a pretty laid back place. Everyone goes home at 5, and nobody here has any of the stress of the rat race.

Last edited by Only The Lonely..; Jan 25, 2007 at 5:37 AM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 5:36 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Your definitely right CCF, every city has its own charm. Winnipeg beats Calgary hands down in terms of the quality of our built environment.

Hundred year old buildings, and old neighbourhoods built around street car lines rather than power centers make it hard for an 'urban enthusiast' like myself to trade in Winnipeg's grit / charm for tourist traps and mountains.

If folks in the suburbs weren't so scared of downtown we'd probably have a pretty decent street life too.

You just can't find these sorts of things in newer cities like Edmonton and Calgary.

In the end, it all comes down to what you look for in a city. Winnipeg is a pretty laid back place. Everyone goes home at 5, and nobody here has any of the stress of the rat race.
I enjoy the fast pace life... just wished the city had more to offer.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 5:43 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
I enjoy the fast pace life... just wished the city had more to offer.
Sure, fast paced life is great and can be very rewarding. Thus, I suspect is the reason for most people moving to Calgary in the first place.

But my friend, I think I’d much rather be outside drinking cold beer on hot summer's day here in the 'Peg.

It's great seeing people skipping work en mass to see a baseball game at Canwest in the spring / summer months. Somehow I get the feeling you couldn't get away with this so easily in the hustle and bustle of Cowtown.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 5:44 AM
Canadian Urbanite

No worries. I have devised a chart so that no matter what your location, you will know which city to despise. (Please don't anyone take me too serious )

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan