HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 8:33 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post

BTW - Mark - not sure on height, but it's 10 floors tall if you can change the title.
Wow, that's a whole lot of wood siding. Are there any new buildings here that DON'T have randomly staggered windows?

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 4:18 PM

The cladding is corrugated metal.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 5:30 PM
BANNED

Nice little infill building. That area has tons of buildings of that size. I wish we see a little more of the new Cosmo type size buildings to change it up a little..

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
Wow, that's a whole lot of wood siding. Are there any new buildings here that DON'T have randomly staggered windows?
Wow, not impressed! I like the original drawing that they released that show an old urban warehouse look. That was beautiful. This one is ugly.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
Wow, not impressed! I like the original drawing that they released that show an old urban warehouse look. That was beautiful. This one is ugly.
I for one like the look, but like you, it's only a opinion..

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 9:31 PM
Karma Police

Quote:
The cladding is corrugated metal.
So is it supposed to be Cor-Ten steel? It looks dark brown. I'm really not sure what to think about this building. It seems so dismal and uninspired. Not the kind of imaging I think Hilton would want to project to its clients.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 11:10 PM

Quote:
So is it supposed to be Cor-Ten steel? It looks dark brown. I'm really not sure what to think about this building. It seems so dismal and uninspired. Not the kind of imaging I think Hilton would want to project to its clients.
Isn't dismal and uninspired the definition of the Hilton brand?

Joking aside, I like it. I'm always glad when I see unashamedly contemporary buildings proposed in the Pearl.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 11:29 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Are there any new buildings here that DON'T have randomly staggered windows?
I believe a law was enacted a few years ago requiring it, so, the answer is No. The idea was to save time in the future by not having to guess when buildings were built. "Ah, it's from the Staggered Windows Era!"

That being said... I like this! ...assuming the corrugated metal that actually looks like wood doesn't actually actually look like crap. Wood or metal, if it looks anything like this... thumbs up! On the other hand, if it's going to be a hotel for orange people, thumbs down.

As long as the metal doesn't look cheap, I like it!

Quote:
I'm always glad when I see unashamedly contemporary buildings proposed in the Pearl.
I agree. This could be a nice addition to the Pearl.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
On the other hand, if it's going to be a hotel for orange people, thumbs down.
Speakers of the House of Representatives need somewhere to sleep at night too.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 11:37 PM

two thumbs up. and they are very surprised thumbs, based on Hilton's architectural legacy in this city.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 1:26 AM

At today's Design Commission meeting the Canopy by Hilton was up for design advice. The architects described the Canopy line as the "W" of the Hilton brand. They also described that the Pearl District was the second location identified in the US for this brand. He strongly emphasized the brand intention of reflecting the location where the hotel is located.

Cat Out of the Bag: In describing their design, the architect mentioned that one wall was constructed with their new neighbor in mind. Apparently, the architect has word that a 15 story building will be announced "soon" adjacent to the Canopy site. Their design takes that new building into account and the architect has discussed the interplay between the building designs.

Canopy can be as tall as 140' but the current design (less the rooftop lounge) places it closer to 125'

More to come . . .

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 8:03 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORNative View Post
Cat Out of the Bag: In describing their design, the architect mentioned that one wall was constructed with their new neighbor in mind. Apparently, the architect has word that a 15 story building will be announced "soon" adjacent to the Canopy site. Their design takes that new building into account and the architect has discussed the interplay between the building designs.

Canopy can be as tall as 140' but the current design (less the rooftop lounge) places it closer to 125'

More to come . . .
Adjacent on which side? The west side or the south side?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Adjacent on which side? The west side or the south side?
Were the people who own the bank on the west side talking about taking that building down and putting up a 15 story wood structure made of laminated beams?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 4:54 PM

I do not recall which side, but yes - the architect did mention that it was a bank who was involved in the new tower

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 5:03 PM

If they're indeed planning that building to be 15 stories I'd be amazed if it was still planned as wood. (The previous stories about it said it would be 11 stories). Although it's definitely going ahead, PATH are facing enough challenges getting an 8 story wood building approved.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORNative View Post
I just started listening to the DAR hearing. They mentioned they are coordinating with Tom Cody. Tom Cody is a principal at Project^, the developers behind Union Way, the Arthouse, the Emery, the Treehouse Apartments and Blackbox. This bodes well.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 8:50 PM
Karma Police

Quote:
If they're indeed planning that building to be 15 stories I'd be amazed if it was still planned as wood. (The previous stories about it said it would be 11 stories). Although it's definitely going ahead, PATH are facing enough challenges getting an 8 story wood building approved.
I thought the problem with the 8 story building was the neighborhood complaints about its height, not that it's structurally problematic. I'm definitely in favor of Portland taking the lead on Tall Wood construction, 15 stories or more, but I'm pretty sure the city has to revise its codes to allow that.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 9:02 PM

Quote:
I thought the problem with the 8 story building was the neighborhood complaints about its height, not that it's structurally problematic. I'm definitely in favor of Portland taking the lead on Tall Wood construction, 15 stories or more, but I'm pretty sure the city has to revise its codes to allow that.
PATH had a Design Advice hearing for Carbon12 last month, and if the neighbors had any problems with its height they didn't bother to turn up to express them. The problem with tall wood buildings is to a certain extent about structure, but is mostly to do with fire. The IBC (on which Oregon's building code is based) doesn't explicitly allow wood buildings that tall. That doesn't mean it's impossible to build, but it does mean it's very challenging to get approved.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2015, 7:35 PM

ZGF Architects have submitted the Canopy Hotel for Design Review:

Quote:
11 Story, 150 room Hotel

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 3:44 AM

This is now on the Design Commission agenda [PDF] for November 19th:

Quote:
LU 15-209365 DZM AD – Canopy Hotel

Type III design review for a proposed new 10-story hotel at the southwest corner of NW 9th Avenue & NW Glisan Street. The hotel will have a lobby, gallery, and café and bar at the ground level. Guest rooms are proposed on all floor above the ground floor, and a small roof deck, oriented to the south and east, will be located off a penthouse containing a fitness room on the roof. The primary exterior material on the upper floors is proposed to be a custom-fabricated and finished folded aluminum panel. A sculptural concrete ribbon will help define the base of the building and create canopies over the sidewalk. Two modifications to development standards are requested: one for long-term bike rack spacing and another to reduce the size of the required loading space. One adjustment is requested to reduce the amount of required loading spaces from 2 to 1. No on-site parking is proposed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland