HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Hat, you nailed it in terms of the challenge of fixing Holladay park.

The location of the park is outstanding, and the trees are great. The challenge is how to fix the fact that the park isn't particularly safe after dark. I suspect there will be talk about open spaces and lighting. The park faces the Doubletree, and that's fantastic! But it isn't exactly welcoming from that vantage point. The park faces an extremely active MAX platform. YAY! But it's fenced off from it. Boo. Those old trees are marvelous - they're a treasure - but they also provide cover for hoodlums and they create a major challenge for fixing the park's issues.

Have any potential plans for the park been shown yet?
it needs some sort of positive evening activity like a Tavern on the Green

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 10:49 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58rhodes View Post
it needs some sort of positive evening activity like a Tavern on the Green
Not a bad idea - and let's not forget, the park faces the mall with all of its retail, though it's cut off by a nasty street for pedestrians. It's a shame the Doubletree was built in a way that practically ignores the park. Surely, the park predates the Doubletree! Who builds a hotel directly across the street from a huge park and ignore the park? I have to assume whatever development goes into the movie theater lot on the other side of the park won't make that same mistake... riiiiiiight?

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Not a bad idea - and let's not forget, the park faces the mall with all of its retail, though it's cut off by a nasty street for pedestrians. It's a shame the Doubletree was built in a way that practically ignores the park. Surely, the park predates the Doubletree! Who builds a hotel directly across the street from a huge park and ignore the park? I have to assume whatever development goes into the movie theater lot on the other side of the park won't make that same mistake... riiiiiiight?
there was a time back in the 70s that the city considered abolishing the park, its always been kind of rough. I think someone creative could bring the Park to the Hotel and to the new housing too. in fact it could be the courtyard for both spaces. The city just needs to make it breathe. Clean that park up and it might even help clean up the hoodlums around the Moda MAX stop.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
I would think so. Planning and design have changed tremendously in the past 35 years.

Old Posted May 16, 2015, 12:01 AM

It's worth (again) that the architects for this project are Holst. They're easily one of the best firms in town.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted May 16, 2015, 12:50 AM

Regarding this park, first of all, given all the other hotel construction in town, I'll bet the DoubleTree will have to do a big renovation in the next few years in order to compete. Maybe they'll open it up to the park. And the fence along the MAX platform can always be taken down. They only put it up a few years ago.

Old Posted May 16, 2015, 5:00 AM

Holladay Park predates all the surrounding buildings.

https://vintageportland.files.wordpr...sandy-1947.jpg

Old Posted May 16, 2015, 5:18 AM

This proposal is nothing but good for the area. Holladay Park desperately needs more activity around it rather than parked cars. I hope this succeeds.

Old Posted May 16, 2015, 3:10 PM

Get rid of the mall; replace it wil high rise mixed use. The park doesnt need a redesign.

Old Posted May 18, 2015, 6:11 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
It's worth (again) that the architects for this project are Holst. They're easily one of the best firms in town.
Holst is great at exteriors, so in that sense, they are one of the best firms in town. When it comes to interiors, they tend to fall short with their designs.

Old Posted May 18, 2015, 6:13 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXDENSITY View Post
Get rid of the mall; replace it wil high rise mixed use. The park doesnt need a redesign.
I don't see that happening any time soon, but with AAT developing their property, the parking lot at the theater being developed, and probably seeing Kaiser developing their property like what AAT is doing, you will get plenty of new density in that area.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 8:14 PM

This has made it onto the Design Commission agenda for July 23rd:

Quote:
Design Advice Request for a potential mixed use development with 3 buildings (6-stories each), 980 residential units, retail and community spaces, and structured parking for 873 spaces both above and below ground. Vehicle access proposed off NE 13th and Multnomah with a diagonal pedestrian connection through the site from the southwest to northeast corner and several planned open spaces. The site is comprised of the existing Lloyd Cinemas and adjacent surface parking lot immediately south of the Lloyd Center Mall.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 9:29 PM

Quote:
This has made it onto the Design Commission agenda for July 23rd:
So is it official if the theater building is gone or not? Seems like there is conflicting info out there. This seems to say that it is going away.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
So is it official if the theater building is gone or not? Seems like there is conflicting info out there. This seems to say that it is going away.
We'll have to wait until there are some drawings to look at to know for sure, but this would strongly suggest that it is going:

Quote:
The site is comprised of the existing Lloyd Cinemas and adjacent surface parking lot immediately south of the Lloyd Center Mall.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 3:02 AM
A before E

Quote:
We'll have to wait until there are some drawings to look at to know for sure, but this would strongly suggest that it is going:
I would guess if it turns a profit or not, and how much a renovation would cost.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 5:48 AM

I'm kind of surprised it's three six story buildings.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 6:05 AM

Me too. I was thinking more like Hassalo, with a couple of stubby buildings and a nice, tall one.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 5:02 PM

Images from the Oregonian:

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 7:08 PM

The last picture doesn't look too bad. I'd hope the buildings are pass-through, with the trench-like courtyards that are shown in the first few images.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 7:41 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

First glance: Neat.
Second glance: Wait. WTF?

The good news: That's nearly 1,000 apartments, which would be great news for Lloyd as a neighborhood.

The bad news: Tearing down the movie theaters will be terrible news for the mall. And the design of those two almost s shaped buildings would guarantee that most of the apartments come with windows directly facing into somebody else's apartment from only a few feet away. Even worse, there's a lot of space that could be challenging to keep safe after dark.

To me, this looks like they're trying to take the cheapest approach possible.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland