HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 7:29 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by migueltorres View Post
Hm. Reminds me of the First City Tower in Houston.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/H...Jan08-022a.jpg

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 7:55 PM
Ascension

Time lapse of Mila.

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Lol, it's like nobody is even trying anymore

This looks identical to that pos building over on Halsted and Kinzie

And is it just me, or does it seem like we are dangerously over-building? How many massive condo/apartment buildings can we actually fill? It seems like there just aren't enough people to fill all these huge residential buildings. Our declining population just doesn't seem congruent with the rate and scope of all this residential construction.
There aren't that many condo buildings/units going up. All the condo buildings have been fairly small and boutique like. Currently occupancy rates are about 93%.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 10:30 PM
devout Pizzatarian

* off topic posts deleted *

this thread is not the proper venue to get into the whole segregation/racism/social dysfunction in chicago discussion.

it's an important discussion, but one that always fans flames that will greatly distract from this thread's purpose.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
the most outrageously egregious aspect of this project is a parking garage joining the Metra retaining wall bordering a park!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 1:32 AM
The City

^ This looks like somebody cut and pasted a Fifield project here.

Yeah that little corner of the South Loop is getting pretty dense, but damn it sure has zero charm or interest.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
Time lapse of Mila.

Video Link
Thanks for posting. Very cool.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 2:19 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
the most outrageously egregious aspect of this project is a parking garage joining the Metra retaining wall bordering a park!
Can you elucidate a bit? There's a 12-15 foot gap between this building and the Metra retaining wall. And the "park" is just an 8000-square-foot dog run.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Pretty much proof that any 7 year old with any Lego experience can be an architect in Chicago and do quite well. Does an architect actually look at this when he'd done with the design and think to himself "Man, I really nailed it!"?

Last edited by ChiHi; Mar 19, 2016 at 4:55 PM. Reason: Typo

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 7:38 PM

That Lego building looks like the modern version of Park Place tower at 655 W Irving Park lol

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 8:10 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiHi View Post
Pretty much proof that any 7 year old with any Lego experience can be an architect in Chicago and do quite well. Does an architect actually look at this when he'd done with the design and think to himself "Man, I really nailed it!"?
Yes, actually. It does a lot of things well from a developer perspective. The residential and parking components are separate and not stacked, which is a pretty efficient solution structurally (and allows the lower floors of the tower to be filled with actual residential and amenity space). The site's a little too wide for a double-loaded corridor, so they took a residential slab and put a little zigzag in it which creates two more corner units (with terraces) per floor.

The only thing I disagree with here is the insistence on a car turnaround, and the way the tower meets the ground. There's got a be a more urban way to handle these, maybe an oversized sidewalk canopy and a curb loading zone like a hotel.

There's also no retail in this tower, even on the Polk side. You'd think some convenience retail would be warranted...

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 8:16 PM

I was just about to say...

This is not wholly worthy of the derision being heaped on it. The rhythm of the horizontal banding is pleasant and rhythmic, and it's fully devoid of any superficial, hackneyed historical references. It's about what I'd expect if a mid-level, infill apartment tower.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 9:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiHi View Post
Buildings are designed by dozens of people. And I imagine schlock like this is met more with "it doesn't exceed the budget; it'll do", which is essentially the architectural spirit of Chicago these day... "it'll do"

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Buildings are designed by dozens of people. And I imagine schlock like this is met more with "it doesn't exceed the budget; it'll do", which is essentially the architectural spirit of Chicago these day... "it'll do"
That's always been the spirit of Chicago architecture. Has it ever been " hey let's build it because it looks cool!"

The entire advent of the Modernism you love is due to the attitude of "make it profitable" in Chicago. The Monadnock wasn't sparsely detailed because of some deep architectural theory about minimalism, it was driven by new economic constraints encountered once people started building to such heights.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 12:16 AM

Tonight
Crane at Gino's

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 4:48 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
Is this the Printers project that someone said in the last week was now a no go?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Is this the Printers project that someone said in the last week was now a no go?
I believe so. Not much was said about it after a short blurp back in June.

PRINTERS ROW APARTMENT TOWER INDEFINITELY ON HOLD
ChicagoMultifamily
Jun 17, 2015 Chuck Sudo, Bisnow, Chicago
The parking garage at Clark and Harrison streets will remain a parking lot for a good while. Plans for a Thomas Roszak-designed 24-story apartment building have been “stalled indefinitely,” which indicates the deal for the development may have fallen through. The project included 202 units and 3k SF of retail space, and would have required no zoning change, Curbed reports. Some intrepid developer has to be eyeing this parcel as the residential development in the South Loop is red hot.

A couple different shots here.

http://www.roszak.com/#/printers-row/

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMonkey View Post
I believe so. Not much was said about it after a short blurp back in June.

PRINTERS ROW APARTMENT TOWER INDEFINITELY ON HOLD
ChicagoMultifamily
Jun 17, 2015 Chuck Sudo, Bisnow, Chicago
The parking garage at Clark and Harrison streets will remain a parking lot for a good while. Plans for a Thomas Roszak-designed 24-story apartment building have been “stalled indefinitely,” which indicates the deal for the development may have fallen through. The project included 202 units and 3k SF of retail space, and would have required no zoning change, Curbed reports. Some intrepid developer has to be eyeing this parcel as the residential development in the South Loop is red hot.

A couple different shots here.

http://www.roszak.com/#/printers-row/
The owner of the garage is trying to put a billboard up because he "can't make money" while refusing to sell to Roszak: http://www.sloopin.com/2016/03/large...opose-for.html

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Can you elucidate a bit? There's a 12-15 foot gap between this buildinng and the Metra retaining wall. And the "park" is just an 8000-square-foot dog run.
Yes, I can. The rendering indicates a ground level green space significantly larger than 800 sf... is this the dog run? Regardless, the stand-alone parking garage, which I would argue is worse than putting it in the building, faces the dog run/green space/public way/British School/future 9th St connection under Metra/park above school...

and who puts a dog run on the street?

horrible planning and irreversible error

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 4:41 PM
Urbane observer

The 8000-square-foot "park" is what McCaffery negotiated his obligation down to when he was allowed to build the British School. It's already there, but too small for the Park District to accept. With nothing but an oval sidewalk and three benches, the only users are dogwalkers. McCaffery refused to install any sort of playground equipment, despite it being shown in the British School renderings, saying he might not even own the space in the future—and, indeed, has already flipped it.

This is absolutely the Department of Planning and Development being asleep at the switch. When I questioned Bob McKenna about it, he said that McCaffery was asking for TIF money to do tenant buildouts at the Roosevelt Collection. Apparently asking for something outrageous justifies settling for something mediocre.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations