HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 1:13 AM
Karma Police

Those old buildings were used as plinths for much larger towers. The tower facades are set back far enough that they don't compete with the historic details of the building below. What Ankrom is proposing is actually a cap sitting directly on top of the Temple, same plane, no setback. The new portion literally overshadows the old. Visually, that completely overwhelms the Temple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
Building over it could work. See: Hearst Tower

img from archdaily

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 2:08 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
Those old buildings were used as plinths for much larger towers. The tower facades are set back far enough that they don't compete with the historic details of the building below. What Ankrom is proposing is actually a cap sitting directly on top of the Temple, same plane, no setback. The new portion literally overshadows the old. Visually, that completely overwhelms the Temple.
I think it is too early to know if that is what will be done or not, all we have seen is a very basic massing model.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 3:38 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I think it is too early to know if that is what will be done or not, all we have seen is a very basic massing model.
I realize it's just a massing diagram, but that IS what they're showing. I can't imagine that ANYBODY reviewing this design will allow such a heavy-handed approach to move forward. Like I said, if they want to step back the new portion and create a terrace behind the cornice of the Temple, that would (probably) be an acceptable solution. Of course, that depends on the actual design, whatever that becomes. Ankrom, unfortunately, is not the most design-savvy firm to be tackling a complicated project like this. Who knows, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 12:31 AM

This is now on the Design Commission agenda for November 19th:

Quote:
EA 15-229299 DA – SW 3rd & Taylor

Design Advice Request for a new mixed-use development with a 20-story hotel building and 10-story office building, with ground floor retail and below-grade parking. The proposal would include renovations and alterations to the existing Ancient Order United Workmen Temple at SW 2nd and Taylor and removal of the existing Hotel Lotus building at SW 3rd and Salmon. The landmarked Auditorium Building is not part of the site and will remain. Proposed exterior materials are primarily glass and metal panel. Potential Modifications include an exception to the oriel window standards.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Sep 19, 2015, 2:12 AM

Old Posted Sep 19, 2015, 2:21 AM

I can understand the need to build over the top of the Temple building to make leasable floor plates, but right now it looks like the glass building is humping the Temple building. I feel like the same program could be a lot more successful if the 3rd & Taylor corner had more of a masonry expression up to the height of the Temple building (kind of like Mercy Corps), and then both were topped by a unified glass penthouse structure at the top. Although it would reduce the area, some setbacks at the upper level might make the whole thing look less top heavy.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2015, 6:14 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
I can understand the need to build over the top of the Temple building to make leasable floor plates, but right now it looks like the glass building is humping the Temple building. I feel like the same program could be a lot more successful if the 3rd & Taylor corner had more of a masonry expression up to the height of the Temple building (kind of like Mercy Corps), and then both were topped by a unified glass penthouse structure at the top. Although it would reduce the area, some setbacks at the upper level might make the whole thing look less top heavy.
Well don't worry, I expect the Historical Landmark Commission to have plenty to say over this one....though they will probably say the hotel portion is too tall and doesn't fit in with its historical surroundings...

Old Posted Sep 19, 2015, 6:29 AM

Design Commission reviews this one. No historic landmarks or districts involved.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2015, 6:37 AM
A before E

Quote:
Design Commission reviews this one. No historic landmarks or districts involved.
Weird, you would think this would be something the HLC review....seriously, that has to be the most useless and pointless commission if they don't even review things that are actually historic.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2015, 6:46 AM

None of the buildings affected are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2015, 4:08 PM
A before E

Quote:
None of the buildings affected are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
I'm aware of that, just pointing out the absurdity of the HLC.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2015, 6:23 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

When first mentioned, I thought this was a horrific idea, but I'm starting to change my mind. If the structure above the Temple building is going to be primarily glass, I think it could work. It's going to seem unusual because we've never seen anything like that built in Portland before, but this image works for me.

Quote:

Old Posted Sep 19, 2015, 6:52 PM
A before E

For the addition on top of the Temple building, I am guessing they will either do something that tries to fit in with the Temple or it will have a very muted look to it.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2015, 7:21 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
For the addition on top of the Temple building, I am guessing they will either do something that tries to fit in with the Temple or it will have a very muted look to it.
I'm guessing they will do the opposite - they'll try to make sure it doesn't fit at all, and that would be a good thing here. I agree about a muted appearance, though rather than muted, I'd say minimalist and modern, but we're talking about the same thing. Clean. Simple. And not intended to look like it's part of the Temple building. On first glance, it seems so strange, but I think it could really work.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 12:18 AM

It depends on the execution, but I think this could be pretty sweet. I'm not totally loving the massing just yet, but perhaps as they continue to develop this, I think they may arrive something pretty interesting. I think I would prefer some element that would integrate more into/onto/around the existing structure just to bring things together a bit more. It doesn't have to be heavy handed or even large, but just something to reference the newer addition on the older building.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 9:27 PM

I am curious whether the intention is to preserve the whole building and add on top of it or to just save the facade and build what amount to a new building behind it. I use to live in PDX and now live in Seattle. In some areas (Capitol Hill) you can get an FAR bonus for preserving the facades of existing older buildings but often all gets saved in literally one layer of bricks - they call it a facadectomy.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 5:35 PM

Speaking of "facadectomies," I was recently in the Capital Hill area of Seattle, and took these pictures of developers maintaining older facades in order to be granted development bonuses. In my opinion, some work really well. Some not so much.

My favorite is a project that is just completing in Vancouver, BC. A beautiful modern glass skyscraper above a historic "facade."

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Bootlegging and Gambling Den Lotus Cardroom and Café May Close

Once again, Portland will likely have to pour a little out for a fallen homie. On September 18, Next Portland announced that the entire block between SW 2nd and 3rd and Taylor is at the preapplication stage for demolition. On the chopping block: the longtime Portland establishment the Lotus Cardroom and Café and its nearly 110-year-old building—originally Hotel Albion.

The Lotus Cardroom and Café may be a nice, dark place to grab a burger or a lunchtime Manhattan, but its history is long and wonderfully sordid. Not only did the Lotus survive Prohibition, but it had the audacity to open during Prohibition's zenith in 1924. With its high ceilings, booth seats and cherrywood bar, it's easy to forget the café was once little more than a gathering place for bootleggers and card sharps, where the liquor was covert but the gambling was out in the open.
...continues at Eater PDX.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 3:44 AM

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 11:11 PM
A before E

Alittle better, but it still looks like the old building is wearing a glass hat.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland