HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jun 2, 2005, 11:48 PM

Benson Tower | 27 floors | Complete

Here is some stunning and tragic news from Canada's National Post. My heart goes out to van Doorninck's family.

Vancouver real estate developer dies when small airplane crashes into tree
A successful Vancouver property developer was killed when the small plane he was flying crashed during takeoff from a private airstrip. Eric van Doorninck, 47, was practising landings on a runway he had recently built when his 1967 Piper Cherokee hit a tree on Sunday afternoon. His wife, Heather, was first on the scene. Mr. Van Doorninck was pulled from the plane wreckage and taken by ambulance to 100 Mile and District Hospital. He was pronounced dead upon arrival, RCMP Constable Diana Racine said. "He died with no regrets," his wife said. "He always told me it would all work out, that we had to do things now because you never know what will happen tomorrow."

Old Posted Jun 3, 2005, 1:03 AM
Well designed mixed use

This is very unfortunate. In addition to how his untimely death will certainly be difficult for his family, I can't help but wonder how his parting will affect the project. I also can't believe this happened on Sunday and hasn't been in any of the local papers.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2005, 3:20 AM

Man, that sucks! I hope his family is holding up okay. I agree with you PDX...where was the news in the local media? I would think his firm would carry on.....I assume he may of had some partners.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2005, 2:38 PM

This would take research aint going to happen unless its about a child molestor or meth problem. If its on the AP they would pick it up.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2005, 3:28 PM
Well designed mixed use

I emailed the Business Journal the Story yesterday--hopefully they'll write something about it.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2005, 10:57 PM

Benson Tower developer killed in plane crash in Canada
Daily Journal of Commerce
by Justin Stranzl
06/03/2005

Eric van Doorninck, developer of the Benson Tower now under construction in downtown Portland, died May 29 in a plane crash in Vancouver, British Columbia.
Van Doorninck, 47, was killed when a small plane he was piloting crashed during takeoff from a private airstrip he'd recently built on a ranch five miles outside of Vancouver. Van Doorninck took off at an awkward angle; while he was readjusting, a wing of his 1967 Piper Cherokee clipped a tree.

Construction of his Benson Tower began earlier this year at 1500 S.W. 11th Ave., a site formerly occupied by the Simon Benson House. When completed, the tower will rise 26 stories and fill 156,000 square feet.

For the project van Doorninck partnered with Joe Weston, the developer of hundreds of apartments in Portland's Pearl District, to form Benson Tower LLC. Weston said completion of the $30 million project is "still set" for spring 2007, a date van Doorninck said he was targeting earlier this year.

"We're going through an adjustment here," Weston said, "but we do this all the time. We lose partners; they get divorced (or) they die. You rise to the occasion."

Weston said he'll buy out van Doorninck's share of the project and continue "right ahead." No other project partners will be replaced, he said.

Rachelle Freegard, a designer with the firm of record, Portland's MCA Architects PC, said van Doorninck's death was a loss for all of the Pacific Northwest. His plan for a 26-story tower similar to ones in his native Vancouver will serve as an "inspiration" upon completion, Freegard said.

"He brought Canada and Portland together," she said.

A memorial service is planned for June 16 in Vancouver. No services are planned in Portland.

http://www.djc-or.com/freeTrial.cfm

Old Posted Jun 4, 2005, 2:29 AM

Thanks, Cab, for posting this.....I have always heard that Weston was pure business...he proves it by his statement. Anyway, I am glad to hear that the project will still be a go. Maybe they should change the name of the tower to honor him,or at least the pond/waterfall/fountain that is going to be incorporated in the design. Cab, I agree. Weston appears to be a cold mf.

Last edited by PacificNW; Jun 4, 2005 at 4:47 AM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2005, 3:35 AM

Can you believe that quote? That guy is cold.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2005, 10:19 PM

The crane for this project started going up at 6 am this morning.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2005, 3:58 PM
Well designed mixed use

I can't believe that Weston quote.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2005, 6:46 PM
No longer PDX

Wow, I was wondering if I read that quote from Weston right, but I guess so. Sounds like he'd sell his own mother if he made a profit. He almost sounded happy that he could buy a dead mans share. Ouch.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2005, 11:15 PM
Well designed mixed use

Finally the local media writes about this, and writes it as if it happened yesterday. Can you believe that?

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...ml?jst=b_ln_hl

Old Posted Jun 7, 2005, 3:18 AM

Hey hey give DJC some credit they're local and followed up on the lead.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2005, 3:47 PM
Well designed mixed use

cab: wasn't talking about DJC; was talking about the bizjournals article posted above.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2005, 4:13 PM

DJC is so tiny it always get left off the "local media" list. Got to defend the little guy

Old Posted Jun 7, 2005, 4:21 PM
Well designed mixed use

DJC is the best business paper in town. Too bad they charge for online access these days. I miss visiting the site.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2005, 5:10 PM

btw, there is a crane up at the benson tower site - it's only a few stories tall (for now), but it's there.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2005, 4:37 AM

As of 6/24/2005:

Old Posted Jun 28, 2005, 7:04 AM

Thats one deep hole!!!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2005, 3:59 PM

Not your average mogul
To Joe Weston, good investments are a tool to benefit the community

By KRISTINA BRENNEMAN Issue date: Tue, Jun 28, 2005
The Tribune

Joe Weston was just a “snot-nosed kid” in the 1950s when he used $2,500 earned from a paper route to buy a duplex in Northeast Portland.
He still owns the duplex, but he’s added a few more acquisitions over 50 years. Nowadays, Weston owns some $300 million in office buildings and apartments from Raleigh Hills to Lloyd Center.
Though he’s chosen to keep his investments low-key, Weston’s signature is on nearly every mortgage in the Pearl District because of his majority investment in Hoyt Street Properties. And his American Property Management Corp. signs can be spotted on 230 buildings throughout metro Portland.
The company, along with Weston Investment Corp., is based at the Northeast Broadway office Weston built in 1967.
But the 67-year-old “one-man band” is far from finished. He’s now developing the 26-story Benson Tower on Southwest Clay Street, 151 units of housing that will be completed in spring 2007. Weston also is interested in developing the former Beacon Building site, at North Interstate Avenue and Broadway, into condos.
“We can bring that area back,” he says.
To Weston, who grew up poor in Northeast Portland and attended All Saints School and Central Catholic High School, being wealthy means something more substantial than “handing out $10 bills or putting your name on a building.”
Each December, he hands over a piece of his property to the Oregon Community Foundation, which oversees the Joseph E. Weston Public Foundation.
Weston Investment then leases back the property, providing an income to the foundation, whose endowment now totals $44.5 million. Weston has donated 90 parcels of land since 1991, including his $6.9 million interest in the Broken Top Golf Club in central Oregon.
This year, the foundation will disburse $1.25 million in student scholarships and nonprofit grants to organizations including Blanchett House, Camp Fire USA, Friends of Children and Habitat for Humanity.
“Other people can support the symphony and opera,” he says. “My real thrust is to help the working poor.”
Weston even presented the book “The Working Poor: Invisible in America,” by David K. Shipler, to his foundation’s board of directors last Christmas.
The commitment to those less fortunate, Weston says, comes from his parents. His dad was a commission salesman, his mom a nurse who donated time to anyone in need.
Weston “comes from a very modest background,” says Greg Chaillé, president of the Oregon Community Foundation. “He was raised with a tradition of giving within his Catholic faith. His faith guides his giving as well. It’s something that is part of his life. As he becomes very wealthy it is an opportunity to be more philanthropic. He’s acquiring it to benefit the community.”
Weston’s two children, Jeffrey, 30, and Tiffany, 27, are well provided for, he says. “I didn’t want to pass wealth from one generation to another. I made that decision a long time ago.”
As he gets older, Weston’s “enjoying life more, participates in lectures, benefit events for the organization,” Chaillé says.
“There is the message that opportunity is out there for anyone; through vision and hard work you can achieve great things. He’s an example of the American dream. For some businesspeople it’s a break from their tough persona at work. He’s giving people an opportunity.”
Today, Weston — whom friends call “a big gruff bear” — lives an unpretentious life in a rented apartment near the Rose Garden and travels on the weekends to his Beaver Lake home.
“You’re not going to see Joe at Bluehour, he’s at Nobby’s,” said developer Homer Williams, whom Weston met 35 years ago at the Imperial Bank.
In those days, Weston was buying apartments and warehouses and running the Portland Real Estate School, which he started in 1959. Industry veterans still come up to him and say, “You were my teacher.”
“He’s a character, but he’s got a good heart,” Williams said of the man he calls Joseph. “He’s done a lot of good things in the community, and people don’t know about it.”
Weston is notoriously thrifty, Williams said: “I can’t get him to buy a first-class airline ticket. I can’t get him not to get to the back of the bus. It means less money to give to others.”
Weston said it’s just not his cup of tea.
“My parents were dirt-poor,” he said. “I’ve never been exposed to private clubs. I’m very happy eating in middle-class restaurants.”
Weston has helped finance various Williams projects, most notably early Hoyt Street Properties buildings in the Pearl District. And contrary to recent reports, the two men said they have not had a falling-out. Weston said he merely decided not to fund Williams’ future projects.
“He’s very talented,” Weston said. “I just elected not to take part.”
Weston retains a majority interest in Hoyt Street Properties — 75 percent ownership — working with the firm on the Metropolitan building and two other condominium buildings in the Pearl.
“It’s been very good to us,” he said of the Northwest Portland neighborhood. “We have to make some major decisions in the next few months on the rest of the land toward Fremont Bridge.”
Nine city blocks remain of the original property acquired to build on.
“It’s a gamble we took, and everything fell into place with the (low) interest rates,” Weston said.
His career has been all about risk — namely, his.
“I’m a one-man operation and not the most patient person in the world,” Weston said.
Williams described him as a contrarian who buys apartments when everyone else is buying office buildings.
“You never know what the guy is going to do,” he said, calling the Commonwealth Building, the Pietro Belluschi-designed stainless steel office tower on Southwest Fifth Avenue, Weston’s “best buy.”
Weston, who plans to renovate the building’s upper-level interior, said he wishes there were 10 more Commonwealths to buy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland