HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Feb 15, 2006, 2:52 AM
A before E

the benson footprint is definitely alot tinier than I thought it was going to be.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2006, 3:49 AM

Benson floorplans

Hello, I just disovered this forum. I have been watching to buy a condo in Portland for three years or so, and finally am committing to one in the Benson. I read some of the comments about the Eliot and the plans there - I have to say that although the open (no real bedroom) floorplans may be okay for some, they were a real downside for me, as were the tunnel-nature of the rooms with only one end having windows and no windows for many of the bedrooms. The thinness of the Benson seems to have avoided some of those problems in the floorplans, which generally have a pretty good expanse of windows. I have discovered some quirky things, however, and would like input from those of you who are in the know. Each unit has a heat pump inside - is that common in new condo construction, and what about noise? Also, does anyone know anything about the kind of glass that is being used? My unit will have a great southern exposure, but I wonder about heat build-up. And finally: it was a shocker that I will have to buy storage separately! They haven't even quite worked out exactly what will be available, but it will be for sale from 2-5K. The location seems excellent to me, walking distance to so many things. Thanks for your comments!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2006, 8:45 PM
Registered Ugly

I want to move to Portland and I've never even been there.

Is the weather as crappy as Seattle's?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2006, 9:20 PM

The weather is pretty similar to Seattle's.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2006, 5:15 PM

Adjacent property

What are the chances that something large will be built next to or very close to the Benson - does anyone know? Thank you.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2006, 5:42 PM

I dont see anything being built around it for awhile but considering the amount of new construction in the last 4 years around the West End, I suppose theres a chance.

I would think that the parking lot at 10th/clay could eventually sprout a new building but then again it seems parking lots have a way of generally being the last to be developed. Certainly the Old Church isnt going anywhere.

Quote:
And finally: it was a shocker that I will have to buy storage separately! They haven't even quite worked out exactly what will be available, but it will be for sale from 2-5K.
You may also want to check out Downtown Self Storage @ 13th & Davis in the Brewery Blocks.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2006, 7:30 PM
Resident Cabbie

Welcome saeternes!

I highly doubt anything else will be built on the same block as the Benson. Considering that it's surrounded by PSU blocks. However Isn't there a surface lot on the East side of the adjacent church?

My Flickr

Old Posted Mar 3, 2006, 8:05 PM

There are surface parking lots across from both the northeast and southwest corners of the Benson. The northeast one is adjacent to the church, and the southwest one might be parking for PSU or the adjacent apartments. Isn't there also a undeveloped chunk of PSU property (which currently looks like a little park) southwest of the Benson?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2006, 10:10 PM

adjacent lots

Thanks for the information - I will check out those lots when I visit Portland next week. I guess there always is some chance that something will be built - the agent told me the biggest danger was to the west. Not sure exactly what that means in terms of lots. And thanks for the storage information - if I don't get a good space, I'll look into it. If any of you come across any more information about building in the area, please post it. Thanks!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2006, 10:41 PM

Maybe the realtor is refering to the 16-story St. Stephen's project a few blocks over but that shouldnt be a concern since there are a few existing towers between it and the benson

Old Posted Mar 10, 2006, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeternes
One more thing: is the May 2007 completion date realistic?
Don't count on a May completion date. I have been watching that project closely. They have had a lot of problems and the completion date continues to be pushed back.

The latest issue I heard was that the plumbing contractor has lost their license. I will check into it a little more.

Last edited by citybuilder; Mar 10, 2006 at 6:02 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2006, 4:24 AM

various

I went to a get-together for owners and interested people on Thursday. It was protested by a union organization - apparently the Canadian construction company that is building the Benson is not union. They had a huge blow-up fat cat and made a lot of noise outside the sales center. Does anyone know much about this? It was the first time I had heard of it. Any update on the plumbing issue - are they related? Thank you.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2006, 4:50 AM

Just go to Google and type "Benson Tower protest" on the search line. You'll come up with several articles that discuss the local labor union's distaste for the developer's choice of contractors. These protests have been going on since the first shovel hit the dirt at the Benson construction site.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2006, 2:20 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

No, Seattle gets 100 more days of rain than Portland does. I've lived in both places, but I get seasonal depression in both cities... even tho I'm a native. =P

Old Posted Mar 30, 2006, 2:31 AM

this tower is really flying up, it might even be going up faster than the john ross. its at about floor 8. theres also additional pieces of crane ready to be added to the tower crane which i would guess would be happening very soon

Old Posted Mar 30, 2006, 3:09 AM

update - pics?

Thanks for that update - I am not in Portland and can't check on it except through the website, which now shows only the 6th floor going in. If anyone has pics please post.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2006, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel
No, Seattle gets 100 more days of rain than Portland does. I've lived in both places, but I get seasonal depression in both cities... even tho I'm a native. =P
That's not true, Seattle has slightly more rainy days than Portland but not 100 days worth, maybe 5-7 days. I think average total annual rainfall in Portland is actually a little higher than Seattle actually. I've lived in both cities as well and the weather is almost identical except Portland is warmer in the summer.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2006, 6:54 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Well, perhaps it was overcast/cloudiness. I seem to recall reading something comparing the two places, and Seattle is right on the coast, whereas Portland gets a lot of wind blowing from the east, which pushes the clouds out of the way.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2006, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel
Well, perhaps it was overcast/cloudiness. I seem to recall reading something comparing the two places, and Seattle is right on the coast, whereas Portland gets a lot of wind blowing from the east, which pushes the clouds out of the way.
eh? the coast is roughly 100 mi and a mountain range away. seattle *is* right on puget sound, but that's not the coast. seattle *is* often right on the convergence zone (http://www.komotv.com/weather/faq/convergence_zone.asp) which makes clouds and rain.

but yeah, portland is often cooler in winter and warmer in the summer. and less cloudy lots of the time due to the gorge.

my dad always calls the sound the ocean... damn portlanders

Old Posted Mar 31, 2006, 5:55 PM

Curious...does the city have to be concerned if what the experts are saying about global warming turns out to be true? Isn't there an excellent chance of much of downtown being under water? Maybe this question should become a new thread in City Discussions.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland