HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Mar 31, 2006, 10:00 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

lol... guess you're right. But, you know, it IS salt water... =P

Old Posted Mar 31, 2006, 10:02 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

They're saying 18-20 ft increase in sea level over the next 180-200 years.

So yea, the east coast will be gone, but Seattle, Portland and San Fran should be relatively fine, since Porltand is WAY uprive (200' higher than sea level) and San Fran/Seattle's topography dramatically rises due to their situated on hills.

Places like NY, Florida, and such will be in trouble. Amsterdam, too.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2006, 5:28 PM

i went over to the benson showroom on 5th ave and was really impressed by the building. The majority of the floorplans and unit layouts in the benson are excellent plus they have balconies.

the penthouse is available in the benson: 3000 sq ft, entire top floor, lots of terraces including hot tub and outdoor shower, 3 bedroom + office and den, 3.5 bathrooms, my guess is about $1.5-2 million

after seeing the model of the benson i realized the water feature will be a nice feature (considering the small size of the tower a retail location might not have fit in anyway), the water feature is under the tower on the first floor and follows the slope of the sidewalk down, a bridge crosses it to the lobby which has a library in it. there is also a spa and fitness center in the building.

the tower is only 30 feet wide and there is a private zen garden on top of the garage entrance (on the east and south sides of the building)

i highly recommend checking out the model

Old Posted Apr 1, 2006, 6:32 PM

penthouse

The top floor penthouse is for sale for 3.5 million - hard to imagine. The floor below it also has a south-facing penthouse that is for sale for 1.5 million. The largest units not in the two top floors are the NE units at around 1350 square feet; they have great corner views, two balconies, 2 bedrooms plus a den. They are followed by units occupying the entire south end of the building, smaller but also with 2 bedrooms and a den, and a large deck. The needle nature of the building has allowed for great floorplans with excellent windows in all rooms, contrasting with the gunshot models of the Eliot etc.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2006, 3:52 AM

wow $3.5 million thats over $1100/sq ft!!!!! thats crazy!!!!

benson tower, as of last wednesday:

Old Posted Apr 6, 2006, 2:47 AM

It is going up really quickly, maybe they will beat their May 2007 deadline. The picture is from the SW corner, where the wedge is located. From floor 15 on up, the south end is one apartment, with views to the south, east, and west. Below that the wedge belongs to a west-facing apartment. You can see the way the units are layed out around the edge of the building - since of course there is very little depth to this skinny structure.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2006, 3:10 AM

they made the crane a bit higher today - didn't get a good look, but maybe 15(?) stories.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2006, 8:01 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

More like ~18-20 stories. They're already pouring the slab for floor 10, I believe.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2006, 9:38 PM

I just read in the DJC from Wednesday about the plumber at the tower. It says that JRT Mechanical has lost their license to work in Oregon. Their license was revoked because of 10 "alleged" violations, with the majority of those being for using unlicensed workers to do plumbing work. The article also states that most of the "alleged" violations occurred in metropolitan Portland.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2006, 10:25 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

They were out protesting on the site again today.

You know, you really gotta play by the rules - and construction workers need to earn enough money to live too, y'know! Construction is very hard and dangerous - deadly - work. Definitely deserve better pay than a restaurant waiter or barrista.

Unions also make sure all their workers get monthly training and education at schools, so they remain knowledgeable (technology changes super fast in construction) and maintain safe workplaces. Without that, wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing guys splattering on the ground below...

Old Posted Apr 8, 2006, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel
They were out protesting on the site again today.

You know, you really gotta play by the rules - and construction workers need to earn enough money to live too, y'know! Construction is very hard and dangerous - deadly - work. Definitely deserve better pay than a restaurant waiter or barrista.

Unions also make sure all their workers get monthly training and education at schools, so they remain knowledgeable (technology changes super fast in construction) and maintain safe workplaces. Without that, wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing guys splattering on the ground below...
And the plumbers do make good money. They are the one trade that makes more than my workers do for construction. But, yes, they deserve every bit of it. It's hard work, and most construction workers are paid as though they will be out of work 2 months a year (due to a seasonal business).

Old Posted Apr 10, 2006, 4:01 PM

Quote:
and most construction workers are paid as though they will be out of work 2 months a year (due to a seasonal business)
if only we could get the public to understand that about teachers too!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2006, 8:28 PM

There was a great article that came out in Monday's Daily Journal of Commerce regarding the Benson Tower. It seems that they are getting a lot of press lately but none of it being very good. I will try and get more out of Monday's article to post.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2006, 10:01 PM

A towering target
by Libby Tucker
04/10/2006
Daily Journal of Commerce Photo
The Benson Tower has come under increasing scrutiny since Vancouver, B.C.-based general contractor ITC began construction on the luxury condominiums early in 2005.

The building, going up at Southwest 11th Avenue and Clay Street in Portland's West End, has received close attention throughout construction from trade unions protesting what they say are unfair labor practices.

The project team, which was the city's first high-rise to completely exclude union labor, now includes union workers in the electrical, sheet metal, and iron workers trades. The unions have since turned much of their attention to safety practices at the site.

Oregon Occupational Safety and Health Division (OSHA) inspectors have visited the site nearly every month since September of 2005, prompted by calls made mostly by workers on the site, with one complaint coming from a union representative.

Ten stories of the 26-story structure have yet to be completed. But the regulatory agency has already conducted 14 inspections on multiple employers at the site.

Five of the inspections are still open and no violations have yet been reported. Of the remaining nine inspections, four resulted in the discovery of what OSHA called serious safety violations.

OSHA inspectors to the site noted missing guardrails, necessary for fall protection, and uncapped steel rebar protruding from concrete structures that is capable of impaling workers.

As a result, OSHA issued citations to ITC as well as subcontractors New Way Forming Inc. and R2M2 Rebar and Stressing Inc.

"The sort of violations that we're talking about here are the sort that kill workers," said Michael Wood, an OSHA administrator. "So I hesitate to indicate that they're normal business. But they are not unusual violations."

The number of violations issued, Wood said, was "not extraordinary" for a project of this size.

But OSHA rarely makes so many visits to a single site in a year, he said.

"These are violations that can and should be prevented by a contractor focusing on the issues and planning to work appropriately," Wood said. "Frankly, I would view (guardrails and capping) as good operating practice that I would expect from a company operating in any industrialized country."

ITC project managers and an owner's representative for Benson Towers LLC, the project's developer, declined to comment when contacted by phone.

Nearby site doesn't suffer same problems

By comparison, OSHA has visited the site of the Eliot Tower, a condominium project near completion three blocks from the Benson Tower site at Southwest 10th Avenue and Jefferson Street, just once in the two years the building has been under construction. OSHA has not yet issued its findings on that inspection, which was opened March 7.

The Eliot's general contractor, Howard S. Wright Construction Co., began in June 2004 constructing the 23-story building, which the contractor expects to complete by May 1.

"It's been almost a textbook project for us," said Troy Dickson, Howard S. Wright's project manager for the Eliot Tower. He credits the project's success to an experienced management team and the "exhaustive" job hazard analysis conducted by the contractor, which is based in Seattle but maintains a Portland office.

"The (Eliot's) architect, the owner and the contractor have worked together before," Dickson said. "It's an environment that the decisions are made quickly, which is critical to the schedule. It creates the ability for the contractor to move forward when issues arise."

Trade unions oppose financier Weston's direction

The Benson Tower would have been Vancouver native Erick van Doorninck's first development effort in Portland, but after van Doorninck died May 29, 2005 in a plane crash, Portland financier Joe Weston took over the project.

Weston's team looked outside Portland for a contractor and instead hired ITC to build the slender tower - with a mere 13,000-square-foot footprint - and cited the Canadian company's experience constructing similar buildings in Vancouver.

Trade unions oppose the deal and have held numerous strikes at the job site, picketing and urging ITC to hire local subcontractors that utilize union labor. The unions have demanded that all workers at the site receive standard wages and health benefits and that on-site safety conditions be improved.

ITC, said Cliff Puckett, a representative for Carpenters Local 247, "is a lowball company that, anywhere they can, they're going to cut corners."

Puckett worked on the Benson Tower before being fired from the job for attempting to organize workers on the site.

"You don't see the local contractors with a lot of these safety issues," Puckett said. "We have to stand our ground because all of the wages and safety conditions we (the unions) have fought so hard for are going to go down the tubes" if ITC pursues further projects in Portland.

Unions monitoring the Benson's progress from across the street say they've observed a general improvement in safety on the site in the last three months, said Bill Hoffman, an organizer with the Laborers Northwest Regional Organizing Coalition.

The unions' persistence in calling attention to the issue led to the changes in safety conditions, Hoffman said.

Wood, the OSHA administrator, said he's "heartened that they (union representatives) believe that they and we (OSHA) have made an impact."

But, Wood said, "I don't think I have enough information to draw that conclusion."

Old Posted Apr 13, 2006, 10:40 PM

Quote:
The Eliot's general contractor, Howard S. Wright Construction Co., began in June 2004 constructing the 23-story building, which the contractor expects to complete by May 1.
May 1st WOW!

I'm a union member (currently disenfranchised with SEIU, but a union member none-the-less). I think these unions are being too damned aggressive. When we bargain every few years for a new contract there is one thing everyone learns, you aint gonna win all issues every time. The unions were looked over on this project; I believe they have a right to demonstrate, but demonstrating taken too far turns into plain old harassment. I think the contractor has a right to have non-union workers on a project if he chooses. I also think that people that are solidly for union issues wouldn't purchase a place in a building they know was non-union built.

Now I'm not one to look over safety issues, and from what is described in this article, I don't think the contractor or subcontractors intentionally made flagrant safety violations. 14 inspections because of phone calls to OHSA, one of them from a union rep?

It just sounds to me like sour grapes...these peeps should move on. Like it or not, every building in Portland is not going to be union made.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2006, 11:34 PM

I agree that contractors have the right to build non-union. I don't agree that contractors have the right to exploit its workers or put them in dangerous situations.

Unions were formed to insure workers earn a livable wage with which they can support their families. They were also formed to protect workers from unsafe situations.

"The sort of violations that we're talking about here are the sort that kill workers." Michael Wood, OSHA administrator

It seems to me that the contractor is more concerned with their profits rather than taking the required steps to insure the workers' safety

It sounds like it is because of the unions' watchful eyes down there that the safety conditions have improved on the site.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2006, 3:07 AM

i've got to wonder about that article. the elliot is 23 stories? the benson has 10 left to go out of 26? i know the writer's being careless with those figures, i wonder how careless with the others?

on the other hand, i stopped by to look at it on wednesday and noticed a guy standing on a balcony as he installed a window - with no guard rail anywhere in sight. he was only three or so floors up, but it still made me wonder.

Old Posted May 11, 2006, 4:31 PM

Progress

I tried to post recent images off the website of the Benson, but could not get the images to come up. Advice? They are on the 15th floor and the new completion date, moved from May 2007, is February 1, 2007. The view from the 15the 15th floor looks amazingly high, maybe because they are up the hill to start with.

Old Posted May 11, 2006, 4:47 PM

Try setting up a Photobucket account

It seems to be very reliable

Old Posted May 11, 2006, 5:42 PM

Up in Washington Park yesterday I could finally see the Benson Tower rising just blocks from the Eliot, which IMO added much to the skyline from that angle. With the two towers to be built on Broadway behind these two, this angle of downtown is going to look much more dense.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland