HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 7:29 PM

600 SW 5th Ave | xx' | 15 floors | Dead

A Pre-Application Conference has been scheduled by SERA Architects to discuss a project at 600 SW 5th Ave (former Ross at SW 4th & Alder):

Quote:
PROPOSAL IS TO DEMOLISH EXISTING 1/4 BLOCK BUILDING AND REPLACE WITH A NEW CONSTRUCTION 215 ROOM, 15 FLOOR HOTEL. APPROXIMATE NEW CONSTRUCTION SQUARE FOOTAGE WILL BE 136,000SF. BUILDING HEIGHT WILL BE APPROXIMATELY 153'. ECOROOF AND FLOW-THRU PLANTER PLACED AT THE 3RD FLOOR LEVEL ON ROOF DECK TO HANDLE TOTAL ROOF AREA STORMWATER. REMAINING PORTION OF ROOF DECK AT 3RD LEVEL WILL BE APPLIED FOR EXEMPTION THRU SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 8:17 PM

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5192...7i13312!8i6656

Is it this? Big building, but kinda garbage. I think this is a positive.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post

I'm confused by its address, but that's the one. That place has been pretty dumpy as long as I can remember. 4 stories, ugly, bad street level, and no positive contribution to the district. This sounds like a big upgrade to me!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 9:53 PM

That is a great location for a hotel too - block from MAX, great walking distance to business, food and shopping

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 9:58 PM

This project makes a lot of sense. The upper floors beyond the 2nd floor for retail have been vacant for decades.

Wonder which new hotel will take the Westin name now that it's up for grabs after the Westin Portland gets rebranded.

Now if only the parking garage across the street could go underground and a new vibrant building built there instead. That would really revitalize the area.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post

Yes. For a second I thought the project was on the site of the National Register-listed Failing Office Building by architects Whidden & Lewis, but it turns out they just share an address.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 1:50 AM

great to see something new going up in that area

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 2:02 AM

1) Happy to see a proposal for a 15-story building here 2) surprised to see yet another hotel in the pipeline 3) unhappy that people keep giving SERA work.

I'd love to see Hacker complement the Whidden & Lewis building next door. Instead we'll get more of the drivel that SERA has made their specialty.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 5:41 AM
BANNED

Very prime spot. As you guys know me wish it was much taller for that spot but hey I'll take it

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 8:58 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

This sounds like fantastic news... but, wow, another hotel. It's amazing how many hotels are going up here.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 6:24 PM

Very good news. The existing building is horrid.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 4:22 AM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Yes. For a second I thought the project was on the site of the National Register-listed Failing Office Building by architects Whidden & Lewis, but it turns out they just share an address.
Maybe the Whidden & Lewis building will be part of the hotel project allowing the address to continue to be on 5th Avenue.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
This project makes a lot of sense. The upper floors beyond the 2nd floor for retail have been vacant for decades.

Wonder which new hotel will take the Westin name now that it's up for grabs after the Westin Portland gets rebranded.

Now if only the parking garage across the street could go underground and a new vibrant building built there instead. That would really revitalize the area.
Fun Portland History detail: The (now) Benson Hotel was owned by the brand now called Westin (formerly Western Hotels, but now owned by Marriott after the Starwood acquisition) from about 1940 to the late 1980's.

They also owned the Multnomah Hotel (aka the Embassy Suites, a Hilton brand) from the 30's to the 60's. Westin has some old roots in Portland.

I wouldn't be surprised to see one of these hotel developers choose to continue the Westin brand in Portland.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehogan View Post
Fun Portland History detail: The (now) Benson Hotel was owned by the brand now called Westin (formerly Western Hotels, but now owned by Marriott after the Starwood acquisition) from about 1940 to the late 1980's.

They also owned the Multnomah Hotel (aka the Embassy Suites, a Hilton brand) from the 30's to the 60's. Westin has some old roots in Portland.

I wouldn't be surprised to see one of these hotel developers choose to continue the Westin brand in Portland.
I agree. The Westin name has a ton of cache to deliver a lot of business travelers on expense accounts. Provance has the skills and expertise to run a hotel without needing a brand name but I doubt any of these other hotel developers do.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 4:57 AM

So glad to see this get demolished and redeveloped. That area around 4th & Washington needs this badly. It's pretty dead down there with that tower in limbo and the empty retail, the Ross building fenced off, and the former Greek Cuisina corner under construction. Anyway this is great news, and hopefully the city gets some quality design in such a central location.

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
A Pre-Application Conference has been scheduled by SERA Architects to discuss a project at 600 SW 5th Ave (former Ross at SW 4th & Alder):

Quote:
PROPOSAL IS TO DEMOLISH EXISTING 1/4 BLOCK BUILDING AND REPLACE WITH A NEW CONSTRUCTION 215 ROOM, 15 FLOOR HOTEL. APPROXIMATE NEW CONSTRUCTION SQUARE FOOTAGE WILL BE 136,000SF. BUILDING HEIGHT WILL BE APPROXIMATELY 153'. ECOROOF AND FLOW-THRU PLANTER PLACED AT THE 3RD FLOOR LEVEL ON ROOF DECK TO HANDLE TOTAL ROOF AREA STORMWATER. REMAINING PORTION OF ROOF DECK AT 3RD LEVEL WILL BE APPLIED FOR EXEMPTION THRU SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES.
DJC article ($) about new hotels in Portland mentions that this Pre-App was cancelled.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 3:43 AM

Ugh, wonder what happened? That block really could use the tlc.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 4:51 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

I'm wondering if the market for hotels here is expected to be saturated. I'm blown away by how many new hotels that are either under construction or have been proposed.

I'm not surprised they had second thoughts - or whatever caused this one to not happen - but I sure would love to see this site redeveloped.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 8:13 PM

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 3:41 PM

It's my understanding that the hotel project is dead. Lookfor the existing building to be renovated with a facade facelift.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland