HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 5:11 PM
Hell with the Lid Off.

Downtown Pittsburgh planning public art, lighting and landscaping for Liberty Avenue
https://triblive.com/local/allegheny...eid=122292479c

Quote:
The Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership has started a new phase of street enhancements for pedestrians that will include a sidewalk extension, lighting, public art and landscaping in the 900 block of Liberty Avenue, Downtown.
The project on the north side of the street, dubbed Life on Liberty, will include large concrete blocks to showcase the area and provide space for flowers and other plantings. The area will be illuminated with custom lighting and include a mural on the street.
Not really thrilled with the lighting scheme. They look kinda goofy.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviderik View Post
Downtown Pittsburgh planning public art, lighting and landscaping for Liberty Avenue

Agree the design is goofy but I like the idea. This reminds me has anyone seen the new pedestrian installation in front of Baebae's kitchen on liberty? The pictures make it look tacky and ugly. I hope it's atleast getting some use

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviderik View Post

Ugh... I'm getting a worn-out 1970s pedestrial mall vibe; that is going to look tired and dated in less than 10 years. There's a reason why so many cities use either plain non-ornamented poles or the black Farola Fernandina derivative design for street lighting.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 5:50 PM

In Oakland, some of the NIMBYs are basically just slumlords who don't want to compete with higher and better uses (like nicer apartment buildings).

I can understand NIMBYism when it comes to really unsavory uses, like a prison or trash center or something. Even so we need to figure out where to put such things, but I get why local people just go with "not here" and hope to win.

I can also understand people who use potential veto power over projects to negotiate policy concessions, like affordable housing percentages or public amenities.

But pure anti-development NIMBYs, the people who just don't want densification of use in their area despite it being well-located for jobs and transit and such, I have very little patience with.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 6:13 PM

A post on Nextdoor included these two crude renderings of the Smallman Street Improvements that I have not yet seen before and the following information on a public meeting to discuss the plans...

The City of Pittsburgh’s Department of Mobility and Infrastructure (DOMI) is conducting a public meeting to discuss the proposed Smallman Street Improvements project located in the Strip District neighborhood of the City of Pittsburgh. The purpose of this meeting is to present the proposed project scope and schedule. Further, DOMI and its consultants will be available to answer questions about the project.

This project will consist of roadway resurfacing and reconfiguration as well as traffic calming and streetscaping. The project limits extend from 16th Street to 21st Street.

Wednesday August 22, 2018
5:30 to 7:30 PM
Society for Contemporary Craft
2100 Smallman Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222

For more information contact:
domi.smallman@pittsburghpa.gov

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 7:03 PM

Why does the city even waste their money hiring design consultants for these kind of projects?

I thought the dock extension was going to extend the entire length of the produce terminal... now it looks like that is only going to happen on the far end. Thought the whole point of doing this was to engage pedestrians at the street level and slow the speed of traffic through the design of a complete street. There isn't even a dedicated bike lane for a street the width of a highway. I don't know how you mess this up that bad.

Also, how will 18 wheelers delivering produce to merchants be able to turn in and out?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmust71 View Post
Why does the city even waste their money hiring design consultants for these kind of projects?

I thought the dock extension was going to extend the entire length of the produce terminal... now it looks like that is only going to happen on the far end. Thought the whole point of doing this was to engage pedestrians at the street level and slow the speed of traffic through the design of a complete street. There isn't even a dedicated bike lane for a street the width of a highway. I don't know how you mess this up that bad.

Also, how will 18 wheelers delivering produce to merchants be able to turn in and out?
I'm thinking the back of the Produce Terminal may still allow for deliveries. I agree though this is terrible. I really cannot stand the median parking.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmust71 View Post
I agree it's a shit design, but I don't think a bike lane is needed here really. At some point presumably the city will win and the Penn Avenue bike lane will be extended to the 31st Street Bridge as was intended. In addition, Buncher's new street Waterfront Place (essentially an extension of Railroad Street) is now open to the public and low traffic. Presumably eventually it will get busier, but by that point the riverfront trail will be open again. I think two bike-friendly corridors through a neighborhood as narrow as the Strip District is enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebarbaro View Post
I'm thinking the back of the Produce Terminal may still allow for deliveries. I agree though this is terrible. I really cannot stand the median parking.
He's not talking about the Terminal itself. Three of the buildings on the opposite side of Smallman still use their loading docks. I think they're all between 17th Street and 18th Street.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 11:06 AM

Outdoor recreation options right in the City is purportedly part of why Pittsburgh has an advantage in attracting tech talent:

https://www.outsideonline.com/233566...burgh-startups

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 11:19 AM
Northsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Outdoor recreation options right in the City is purportedly part of why Pittsburgh has an advantage in attracting tech talent:

https://www.outsideonline.com/233566...burgh-startups
Surprised that the article doesn't mention rowing; I swear that half the young professionals/techies I know are on a rowing team.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 8:54 PM

Still plagued with delays, but the Macy's redevelopment is apparently stumbling forward:

http://www.post-gazette.com/business...s/201808160063

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 1:39 PM

The URA had its monthly meeting yesterday. The most important item on the agenda, according to the Pittsburgh Business Times, was voting to proceed with applications for a federal $30 million Choice Neighborhoods grant for the Hill District. This is the same grant which the city used to rebuild much of Larimer/East Liberty around Larimer Avenue in recent years. Simultaneously, it allocated $4.9 million in funds to acquire some properties in the Hill District now owned by the Housing Authority. The city itself may chip in another $12 million.

It looks like the plan has several elements. One is to "rejuvenate" Bedford Dwellings. Another element is to rehab existing houses and commercial buildings in and around that housing project. A third is to transfer 293 parcels now owned by the Housing Authority to the URA in order to develop 300 new units of mixed-income housing.

The URA also voted to authorize a new application for the $100 million grant for the new BRT system, contract with Strada to build out the URA's new offices in 420 Boulevard of the Allies, and sell an industrial site in Fairywood to a private developer.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 1:29 AM

I believe that back in 2016, the Hill District project got a federal planning grant, which is a good sign for future federal implementation grants (the Larimer project I believe went through the same two-step process).

I note that both this and the BRT application are possible because the relevant programs were saved during the last round of federal budget negotiations (which needed 60 votes in the Senate).

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 5:40 AM

Heading back to Da Burgh for a wedding next weekend. I'm going to carve out a few hours beforehand to check out some exciting new developments around town. It has been about 2 years since I've given myself a proper trip around the city.

Any suggestions on what to hit?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 7:00 PM

Oakland is really booming. Its resembling a slightly grittier version of parts of downtown DC , to me anyway. If it keeps going that way its going to threaten Downtown Pgh as the heart of the city.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 7:19 PM
Ex Houstonian

From today.

Untitled by photolitherland, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks2006 View Post
Oakland is really booming. Its resembling a slightly grittier version of parts of downtown DC , to me anyway. If it keeps going that way its going to threaten Downtown Pgh as the heart of the city.
I agree about the resemblance to DC.

I think Downtown will be tough to challenge, not least because it is also still adding new stuff. But it could be like the Earth and Moon or so.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 5:44 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I agree about the resemblance to DC.

I think Downtown will be tough to challenge, not least because it is also still adding new stuff. But it could be like the Earth and Moon or so.
Think about all of the developments in Oakland and Downtown.. it would be highly improbable for the rest of the middle and upper hill and uptown to not become really heavily infilled.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Think about all of the developments in Oakland and Downtown.. it would be highly improbable for the rest of the middle and upper hill and uptown to not become really heavily infilled.
There's less space available in the Hill District than you think. Do a streetview tour and you'll see most of the Hill up to about Kirkpatrick Street has been infilled now - albeit in the "soft urban" style typical of mixed-income projects these days. If the next phase involving the redo of Bedford Dwellings goes through, there will be even less available.

It will probably be quite a long time before the Upper Hill sees substantial HUD-related reinvestment though, which might make it appealing to gentrifiers in the longer run.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 7:28 PM

Pitt has confirmed it plans to demolish 3441 Forbes Avenue some time in October, claiming the building has already been condemned by the city. It intends to save some "elements" of the terracotta facade for some unspecified later use. It's also being cagy on what it plans to do with the footprint of the site (33,000 square feet when the adjacent building, which has also been condemned, is included).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations