HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 11:55 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVNY View Post
This has to be the stupidest waste of time at the Trade Center yet. Cannot someone just "accidentally" knock it over with a tractor? Say, they were backing up and it happened?

Of course, the ridiculous people who call for its preservation would probably want it rebuilt stone by stone.
I think Spitzer is making the same mistake Pataki made - a mistake he said he wouldn't. Everyone knows those stairs are in the way, and have to be moved sooner or later, one way or the other. Why it's taking so long to decide is beyond me, especially as we near the halfway mark to the end of the year, and the PA needs "up to eight weeks" to move that thing.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 12:06 PM
I'm going slightly mad.

Really, I couldn't agree more. Take the last stair out of the thing, preserve it, polish it even, then find a place of honor for it. The rest of the stairs knock over immediately.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 6:57 PM
BANNED

A suggestion on what they should do with the stairs:

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 9:15 PM
New Yorker for life

^ At least then, it would be preserved for the "preservationists", and construction could move forward. Everybody happy...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 12:40 AM
Yippie Ka Yay!

Really, people are trying to save a thing that people step on and it's stopping the construction of a 1300 foot building.

Contestant's answer: Because they have no balls to scratch?

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBAI2015 View Post
Really, people are trying to save a thing that people step on and it's stopping the construction of a 1300 foot building.
I don't think there is any real rush on this project. There is alot of spec office space going up with the Freedom Tower.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 10:29 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
I don't think there is any real rush on this project. There is alot of spec office space going up with the Freedom Tower.
Actually, there is a rush. The Port Authority has to excavate the site and build the extended "tub" by next year, or pay Silverstein Properties $300,000 a day for every day it isn't finished.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 12:56 PM
Still cyber-converted fka

Just put the stairs in the museum if they must be kept. House them where ever until the museum is ready.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 10:58 PM
New Yorker for life

More good news on the developments:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...swU&refer=home

Quote:
Silverstein, Insurers Reach $2 Billion WTC Settlement

Developer Larry Silverstein and seven insurance companies agreed to a $2 billion settlement to end an almost six-year dispute over the value of the insurance policies covering the World Trade Center.

New York Governor Eliot Spitzer and Insurance Commissioner Eric Dinallo announced the settlement at a news conference in lower Manhattan. The agreement will bring to about $4.55 billion the total insurance proceeds Silverstein and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey will receive.

Silverstein and the Port Authority last year sued Allianz AG and six insurers to force them to make payments directly to the bistate agency. That case arose after Silverstein ceded control of the Freedom Tower, the centerpiece of Ground Zero redevelopment, to the authority, in return for reduced rent payments.

Allianz and the other companies wanted the court to determine whether they were obligated to pay the authority, since their contracts were with Silverstein.

Silverstein remains in control of three other skyscrapers planned for the site, with 6.2 million square feet of space.

The settlement will help assure that the project is completed on time, Silverstein said. The Freedom Tower will be done in 2011, as will Three and Four World Trade Center, with Two World Trade Center completed the following year, he said.

"The train is now moving on down the track,'' Silverstein said. "The World Trade Center is on its way to being rebuilt.''

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I think Spitzer is making the same mistake Pataki made - a mistake he said he wouldn't. Everyone knows those stairs are in the way, and have to be moved sooner or later, one way or the other. Why it's taking so long to decide is beyond me, especially as we near the halfway mark to the end of the year, and the PA needs "up to eight weeks" to move that thing.

EIGHT WEEKS???????? Just to move a staircase????? Just take some TNT and dynamite the damn thing! Let's go!!! Nothing stands in the way of progress!!!

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 12:49 AM
Frigidus Maximus

Bets that this is one "artifact" destined for the crapper in a few short decades?

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 1:21 AM

Amen to that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37TimPPG View Post
EIGHT WEEKS???????? Just to move a staircase????? Just take some TNT and dynamite the damn thing! Let's go!!! Nothing stands in the way of progress!!!
After dynamiting it to bits, then "chipper it" and recycle the concrete into the eastern bathtub! Then it will forever be a part of the WTC site... below ground where it belongs

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 7:38 PM
I love boxes.

The design is awesome. But they should have given it a bit more height......
Instead of making the 4th tower they could have given this a height like 1500-1700 feet.

Design is nothing without height.

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 10:13 PM

Design is nothing without height? How about hsbc in Hk? Or Hearst Magazine Tower? I think many of us can think of a number of buildings to proove your warped theory, idiotic.
I think this building looks quite nice at 1'339'. It dwarfs all but one of it's neighbors and wouldn't look right if it was taller than wtc1. The buildings form a pattern of increasing height.

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 11:16 PM
I love boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl1 View Post
Design is nothing without height? How about hsbc in Hk? Or Hearst Magazine Tower? I think many of us can think of a number of buildings to proove your warped theory, idiotic.
I think this building looks quite nice at 1'339'. It dwarfs all but one of it's neighbors and wouldn't look right if it was taller than wtc1. The buildings form a pattern of increasing height.
Dwarfs ! DWARFS !!!! hey listen 1339' may sound good in New York but as compared to other buildings in the world going up right now, its nothing, NOTHING AT ALL!!!!!!!! EVEN THE SOUTH TOWER BUILT DECADES AGO WAS WAY BIGGER, TALLER AND WIDER THAN THIS BUILDING. The south tower didn't a design, but it broke 400m mark without a setback. The Aon in Chicago is the only such compact monster left. A glamorous 50 floor building called absolute world or something with awesome shape and design is going up in my city, but nobody seems to care about it because DESIGN IS NOTHING WITHOUT HEIGHT BUT the opposite is not true.

Old Posted May 29, 2007, 11:48 PM
low-riding

I love height, but i believe that height is nothing without design. My example is Citic Plaza. it bores me but the height is attractive. regardless, the south tower of wtc was only 20 feet or so taller than this tower 2 whose official height is 408.2 meters. Do your research before you come onto a NYC thread mouthing off. Most of us here know our shit. Thirdly yes, I miss the fact that wtc was the only tower that was straight up, no setback to 1300. and aon is the next best. Freedom will have a taper so maybe that wont help you in that regard either. nothing any of us can do about it.

Also USA is officially out of the world's tallest building competition so you can lose that dream. until the FAA removes the 2000 ft nation wide ban, what we can and should be focusing on is design.

( A glamorous 50 floor building called absolute world or something with awesome shape and design is going up in my city, but nobody seems to care about it because DESIGN IS NOTHING WITHOUT HEIGHT BUT the opposite is not true.)
-Aluminum

what project is this? if it has a good design, post some renders. let us in on the project

sometimes I feel like there should be an age cut off. no one under 16 allowed. patrick and other young ones with common sense exempt

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 12:22 AM

Man, the number of haters amazes me. 1,776 feet, 1,339 feet, 1,255 feet buildings, only one other city in North America has buildings as tall under construction. Let China or Dubai build whatever they want.....it's easy when you use slave labor and bottomless pockets.

All that matters is that we NYers are happy with all this, and most of us on this board are.

And Scruffy, are you going to post the pics from your west side venturing soon? That would be sweeeeet.

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 5:01 AM
low-riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayRidgeFever View Post
Man, the number of haters amazes me. 1,776 feet, 1,339 feet, 1,255 feet buildings, only one other city in North America has buildings as tall under construction. Let China or Dubai build whatever they want.....it's easy when you use slave labor and bottomless pockets.

All that matters is that we NYers are happy with all this, and most of us on this board are.

And Scruffy, are you going to post the pics from your west side venturing soon? That would be sweeeeet.
Yea im posting what I have but a good chunk of my pics that day got corrupted so i had to erase them. Pissed. It was 90 something degrees that day and I dont have as much to show for it. curses. anyways, ive put up some stratus, sky tower, 15 cpw among others so far

Last edited by Scruffy; May 30, 2007 at 5:05 PM.

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 5:10 AM

Oh bummer. Do you still have all the hotels you saw u/c?

Your pics are awesome and appreciated!

Old Posted May 30, 2007, 5:26 AM
low-riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayRidgeFever View Post
Oh bummer. Do you still have all the hotels you saw u/c?

Your pics are awesome and appreciated!
Thank you. Right now im trying to find all the renders for them to make a new thread just for new hotels u/c. I saw 5 on 28th and 29th, 5 on 39-40, 2 on 37. those i still have the pics for. aand I would like to add the ones that are proposals too. that wil be tomorrow. i'll do it from work.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction