HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 3:39 AM

LOS ANGELES | Rams "City of Champions" Inglewood Stadium

image from pbs.twimg.com

Overall 2015 Site Plan (CurbedLA)

Since its confirmed news now, the Rams are returning to Southern California. The facility will rise on the former Hollywood Park horse racing track. The new stadium will be part of the overall redevelopment of the area.

Tentative name is City of Champions Stadium, there will almost certainly be corporate sponsorship, so expect the name to change.

Facts as they stand now 1/12/16

Architect/Design: HKS
Proposed Opening Date: Start of 2019 NFL Season
Build Cost: $2.6 Billion, whole project, $1.8 Billion stadium-only
Capacity: 70,240
Primary Use: NFL Football
Other Uses: Olympics, Soccer, Final Four, X Games, NFL Draft, Concerts,

Other parts of the development include a 300+ Key hotel, office, 6000 seat theater venue, retail & residential components

sportingnews.com image

footballstadiumnews.com

Houston Chronicle

Forbes.com/HKS

The overall Inglewood site looking South, my pic approaching LAX a couple months ago

Last edited by timpdx; Jan 16, 2016 at 8:52 PM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 3:48 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Welcome (back) home!

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 4:08 AM

^^^ I second that. Welcome back boys.

I can only imagine the city of Inglewood will be cleaning up a lot now with the increase of property values for the area. A lot of people are going to be complaining and turn into nimbys when their rents increase and other things happen to gentrify the area.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 4:09 AM

70,000 seats, expandable to 100,000 + with standing room... Open sides, translucent roof... Super Bowl every 3 or 4 years, 7000 seat theater next door, final four every 3 or 4 years, nfl combine and pro bowl, nfls de facto headquarters... Olympics, world cups etc etc etc

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 4:13 AM

^^^ Exactly. Peoples misinformation that these stadiums sit empty for 95% of the year are clueless. All the other sporting events, concerts and etc. not to mention this stadium will be sitting in the center of what will basically be a town/entertainment center. It will surely get use out of it more than just football. Makes me laugh when people say "it will only be used for 10-20 days of the year". if that were the case, most of these stadiums and owners would go bankrupt.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 4:46 AM

The Final Four does not play on either coast these days, so I highly doubt we wil see it every 4-5 years.

Last time truly in a coast metro was Rutherford NJ in 1995 and Seattle in 1994, so over 20 years. I don't know why the NCAA seems to cycle through the same limited list of cities

But I expect this stadium to do lots of duty as a venue for all sorts of stuff besides football and there is a venue in the coming complex similar to the Nokia er..Mircrosoft Theatre.

Also,

Since this is right under the flightpath approaches to LAX, I expect that Flickr and Instagram will be filled with nice aerials of this project going up

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 6:32 AM

I'm just glad its finally happening.

Now they are officially ours AGAIN, Where will they be playing ? stadium wont be done until 2019 and the Coliseum and Rose bowl both need some serious upgrades to handle the foot traffic for the next 2-3 years...... no?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 3:13 PM

Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum until the new stadium is ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
I'm just glad its finally happening.

Now they are officially ours AGAIN, Where will they be playing ? stadium wont be done until 2019 and the Coliseum and Rose bowl both need some serious upgrades to handle the foot traffic for the next 2-3 years...... no?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timpdx View Post
The Final Four does not play on either coast these days, so I highly doubt we wil see it every 4-5 years.

Last time truly in a coast metro was Rutherford NJ in 1995 and Seattle in 1994, so over 20 years. I don't know why the NCAA seems to cycle through the same limited list of cities
The NCAA is pretty happy with their setup, so they stick with it. They do Indianapolis every 4 years for the Final Four and seem to love it. The NFL tried Indianapolis as a Super Bowl host a few years ago and for the 2 or 3 weeks after the game all the sportswriters in the US couldn't stop talking about how it was the best Super Bowl experience they've ever seen.

So maybe the NCAA knows what it is doing, as far as hosting major events goes at least.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post
The NCAA is pretty happy with their setup, so they stick with it. They do Indianapolis every 4 years for the Final Four and seem to love it. The NFL tried Indianapolis as a Super Bowl host a few years ago and for the 2 or 3 weeks after the game all the sportswriters in the US couldn't stop talking about how it was the best Super Bowl experience they've ever seen.

So maybe the NCAA knows what it is doing, as far as hosting major events goes at least.
Guys, the NCAA is going to jump at the possibility to bring the Final Four to LA in the worlds newest and greatest stadium. Doesnt mean Indy is out, its just that LA is now most definitely in the mix for Final Fours every few years

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 11:17 PM
REAL Kiwi!

What a great development for LA, this thing will be a huge asset.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 1:23 AM

Besides the Inglewood stadium and overall development being more impressive, is this site better for fans as far - Public transport, easy highway access, any sort of neighborhood feel? The aerial looks like you will have to drive/park, and mostly suburbs surrounding. Before yesterday's news I thought Carson was the front-runner, and made more sense for fans? (granted my knowledge of the LA-area is very limited!).

Curious, ...Is there still a Rams fan base in LA, is the excitement level high? I know LA is a Laker town first, then Dodger, and USC & UCLA town (and Clips/Kings somewhere mixed in) as far as popularity goes, but I'm curious if LA was itching for the NFL to comeback as much as those owners were salivating over the money the NFL will make by returning to the nation's 2nd largest market.

Finally, today - does anyone in LA care at all about the San Diego Chargers...? I know the Rams had a long history in LA prior to moving to StL, ...so wouldn't the Chargers in LA always be the second-fiddle, after thought (sort of like the New Jersey teams are/were in NYC)?

Looks like a terrific stadium though, just wish Kroenke wasn't such an a-hole (no dog in the fight here).

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
Besides the Inglewood stadium and overall development being more impressive, is this site better for fans as far - Public transport, easy highway access, any sort of neighborhood feel? The aerial looks like you will have to drive/park, and mostly suburbs surrounding. Before yesterday's news I thought Carson was the front-runner, and made more sense for fans? (granted my knowledge of the LA-area is very limited!).

Curious, ...Is there still a Rams fan base in LA, is the excitement level high? I know LA is a Laker town first, then Dodger, and USC & UCLA town (and Clips/Kings somewhere mixed in) as far as popularity goes, but I'm curious if LA was itching for the NFL to comeback as much as those owners were salivating over the money the NFL will make by returning to the nation's 2nd largest market.

Finally, today - does anyone in LA care at all about the San Diego Chargers...? I know the Rams had a long history in LA prior to moving to StL, ...so wouldn't the Chargers in LA always be the second-fiddle, after thought (sort of like the New Jersey teams are/were in NYC)?

Looks like a terrific stadium though, just wish Kroenke wasn't such an a-hole (no dog in the fight here).
Interestingly enough, a lot of people didn't want the Carson proposal because of its location. It was located where 3 major area freeways all converged at once. Would have been a traffic nightmare. The Inglewood stadium is close to the Airport and also kinda close to a future Rail line that's suppose to open up around the time the stadium is done.

There are still a lot of Rams fans in the LA area, and im guessing that after their approval to come back, it just created some new fans with younger generations.

Chargers will always be second fiddle for LA, the reason why the Chargers left the first time, they got tired of sharing LA with the Rams. For them to come back would be a bad business deal.

For the most part, from what the news is reporting and from simply going out to the malls and shopping at the grocery store, Many people are stoked that the Rams are coming back, even women. LA may have a lot of Raider and Charger fans but I don't think many of us wanted them to play here.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 2:14 AM

Why is the roof covered? Its not like we don't have some of the best weather in the country

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 5:09 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
The Inglewood site is much closer to LA's wealth, particularly the South Bay. I figure that's where most of the Rams players will live during the season (most of the Lakers, Kings, and Clippers live there too).

Both sites have easy highway access, but Inglewood is only 3 miles east of LAX (lots of hotel rooms in the vicinity) and within 1.5-2 miles of three light rail stations. Should LA land the 2024 Olympics, you might see a push to extend the LAX people mover straight down Century Blvd. to the stadium.

Quote:
Yes. The "Bring Back the Los Angeles Rams" Facebook page had around 56,000 likes at the time of the official relocation announcement. Of the three teams involved in the process, the Rams were far and away the most desired among polled Angelenos.

Quote:
Hardly anyone cares about the Chargers, although they wouldn't be the Clippers (another former San Diego team). That's why I'm still crossing my fingers for the Raiders to come here (if there has to be a second team). But it's best that LA just have one team.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 5:10 AM
Eurosceptic

Bring back the classic Rams colors... enough of this vegas gold.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 5:49 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun View Post
Why is the roof covered? Its not like we don't have some of the best weather in the country
Partially to allow the possibility of hosting events which typically require a roof.

Also because it will become a massive billboard sitting right under the LAX flight path.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2016, 2:55 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ That design is quite different than the one shown in the other renderings, as it features far fewer columns (which I like). Although the columns are a nice tribute to the Forum.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jan 16, 2016, 3:22 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by timpdx View Post

Image from LA Times
This is probably a more up-to-date design:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl-news...nesota-vikings

Looks much more refined IMO. It doesn't have that awkward floating balcony section.

— Jerome Bruner

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development