HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post

Calgary International Airport

2007 passengers: 12.26 million

Projected growth: 30 million annual capacity by 2030

Expansion: $3 billion by 2018 - includes international transborder concourse, which will add 20 new gates and associated aircraft apron; expansions to the transborder baggage facility and Canadian Inspection Services area; more surface parking and 2,000-stall addition to car parkade; fourth runway, 4,267 metres

Airport Improvement Fee: $20 for all departing non-connecting passengers

Neat features: White Hat volunteers. Space Port Educational Facility. 30-minute free parking

Major complaint: Congestion at U.S. transborder concourse

You mention that 30 million will be the capacity by 2030, but actually YYC is expected to handle 27 million passengers by 2025. If they can grow at a moderate 4% per year, they should be able to reach 24-25 million passengers by 2025. Traffic at YYC grew by average 6% pa since 1995-2009 and there is no reason that it cannot continue to grow at 4% pa average for the next 15 years.

That's probably the high number, but even if they grow at a reasonable 3% pa, they will cross 20 million passengers in 15 years.

Last edited by Canadian74; Jan 14, 2011 at 10:43 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 7:47 PM
Community Guy

^jesus...

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^jesus...
If they continue to grow at a moderate 4% per year, they will reach 24-25 million passengers by that time.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 8:32 PM

Holy....Calgary Batman!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
The Winnipeg terminal looks great and Saskatoon looks promising! Do most airports in Canada put the arrivals and departures on top of eachother like seen in those Winnipeg photos? We have it in Ottawa (built 2003) and it makes it so much easier to pick up/drop off people at the airport. Who was the first?
I was once told that the concept was borrowed from train stations, the first with double level road access being Grand Central Terminal in New York.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 11:37 PM

I don't look at this thread often, so it's nice to see all the action going on at airports around the country. Props to Winnipeg and Edmonton airports. Those are nice looking projects. Calgary's new International terminal looks great too, nice to hear the a BP has been generated.

Some major stuff going on these days.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 4:55 AM

Winnipeg has competition when it comes to sunny destinations. Some Manitobans are choosing to travel to Grand Forks or Fargo to reach sunbelt destinations in the US at reduced cost. Somethings gotta give.....

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 4:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49 View Post
Winnipeg has competition when it comes to sunny destinations. Some Manitobans are choosing to travel to Grand Forks or Fargo to reach sunbelt destinations in the US at reduced cost. Somethings gotta give.....
Same thing is happening in areas like Greater Vancouver, Greater Toronto and any other cities near the border. When you can get flights to Palm Springs from Bellingham, WA for 39$ each way, and you live less than an hour away, how can you refuse?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 5:50 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Another rendering of the YYC's new terminal:

It appears there is no connection between the existing terminal and the expansion.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 7:36 AM

maybe its underground - a number of airports have separate buildings linked with an underground train - i've used seattle and atlanta - both of which are set up like that

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
It appears there is no connection between the existing terminal and the expansion.
There will be some form of indoor link, that render isn't up to date fully as it's also missing showing things such as the massive new parkade they built which is along part of the new terminal inside the arrivals/departures loop road (which the teal line that extends out to nowhere on the nw end of the new terminal may connect to.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 5:02 PM

There is a link between the old and new buildings, in this picture it is shown at the bottom.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 6:28 PM
Heart of the Continent

It will be really nice when Winnipeg's new terminal opens....in 2025 or so.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 7:17 PM
Identity Condiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49 View Post
People in Thunder Bay drive to Minneapolis. It's crazy. Especially since our airport is the least expensive in the National Airports System, you'd think it would be better able to compete with the US airports.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
People in Thunder Bay drive to Minneapolis. It's crazy. Especially since our airport is the least expensive in the National Airports System, you'd think it would be better able to compete with the US airports.
Vancouver is starting to see people travel to Bellingham and Seattle.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 10:12 PM
Heart of the Continent

Yes, and someday Americans will actually have to pay for the services that they use...but not today, and so Canadians that are willing to drive benefit. I personally won't do it though, because I want to support business here.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 10:34 PM
Identity Condiment

I won't do it because the gas prices actually make it more expensive but people don't realize that because the costs are all broken up and the numbers, individually, are smaller.

Plus, you can't get to Cuba from there.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 4:20 AM

from most places in suburbia in vancouver anyway its just as far to get to YVR as it is to bellingham so the gas costs don't matter

alaska airlines has just added flights to hawaii from bellingham aimed at Canadians

I flew to san fran from Bellingham in 2009 and it was $175 (US) all taxes and fees and about 3 upgrades included, parking was $45 for the 5 days
the same flight out of vancouver would have cost just under $600!!! same day and parking at the airport would have cost more

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Yes, and someday Americans will actually have to pay for the services that they use...but not today, and so Canadians that are willing to drive benefit. I personally won't do it though, because I want to support business here.
I'd love to support business here. But I'm saving over $700 flying out of Billings, Montana to Phoenix in February for a wedding.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 5:01 AM
Identity Condiment

Did you subtract the cost of getting to Billings, though?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada