HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 2:51 AM
build awesome buildings

^Totally, totally agree with you on this - though it does stink that it’s a foregone conclusion that we can’t rely on our elected leaders to think about and act in accordance with the interconnectedness you described. We really need a Philly SSP rep at all Council meetings haha.

Also, that’s a great point about grad student family situations; it for sure changes the way I was looking at things in that area.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
^Totally, totally agree with you on this - though it does stink that it’s a foregone conclusion that we can’t rely on our elected leaders to think about and act in accordance with the interconnectedness you described. We really need a Philly SSP rep at all Council meetings haha.

Also, that’s a great point about grad student family situations; it for sure changes the way I was looking at things in that area.
It just goes to show what kind of impact a good public school can make in all sorts of other areas of concern. I realize the model that Penn used in developing that school has limited ability to be used elsewhere, but damn, at some point you could make an argument that spending piles of cash on public local schools can/could in some neighborhoods pay for itself in increased tax revenue, and do so in just a couple years.

https://www.pennalexanderschool.org/

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisforreal View Post
3.0 University Place is about to get started at 41st and Market, according to WestPhillyLocal.

https://www.30universityplace.com/
Have now been back to the office. Confirmed that there's no groundbreaking. They told us December. But it's definitely a go which is good news.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 11:55 PM

What is this project at 10th and Arch?

EDIT: pic got screwed up in resizing.

Last edited by mcgrath618; May 21, 2018 at 3:37 AM.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 12:49 AM

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...ding-10th-arch

PS, can you turn your pic rightway up :-)

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 1:50 PM

Spotted this nice little project last week but finally got around to snapping some pics. Four stories and ground floor retail literally right next to the Wissahickon train station in Roxborough. This project replaces an auto body shop. I don't think you could ask for a better change at this location.

I did some digging and apparently, this project has been known for a while.

Right now, there's only a demolition permit.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 2:22 PM

https://hiddencityphila.org/2018/05/...road-landmark/

Future parking lot, courtesy of PA Ballet:

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 2:33 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
https://hiddencityphila.org/2018/05/...road-landmark/

Future parking lot, courtesy of PA Ballet:

Disgusting. At least reclaim the facade. Someone would pay good money for that to be the face of their rowhome. Throw in some higer end architectural windows and you have a rowhome that stands out as beautiful from most.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 3:44 PM

First off, this is a terrible. I want to say that up front.

But delving deeper - and ignoring what this lot will become - does this building deserve protection? How much does the fact that it will be replaced by vacant lot factor into your thinking?

More importantly, how can the city balance preservation? Blanketly protecting all old buildings is not advisable b/c then what happens when an old, but otherwise unremarkable building stands in the way of a high rise (and all of its benefits, e.g., more density, added tax revenue, maybe an improved pedestrian experience, etc.), like for example Rindlaub's Row making way for 10 Ritt? On the flipside, what happens when old, but otherwise unremarkable buildings are torn down for dreck (like those buildings on Chestnut Street in Univ City or the former Please Touch Museum) or to simply lay fallow, like in this sad case?

Ideally, you only want to lose older buildings if you're going to get something better. But who decides that? People have very different views on this.

Would the SOS people been less litigious if 10 Ritt was planned as only 5 or 10 stories? And would the LSNA have been so amenable to the Please Touch demolition if the developer was planning a mid rise apartment building instead of townhomes with garages? And how many times is there a rush to retroactively deem a building historic - that nobody cared about previously - all b/c they don't like what it's being replaced with? Personally, I'm willing to bet that there would be more opposition to this demolition if it was being replaced by a skyscraper.

I don't have all the answers, but it's an interesting debate on an otherwise slow new day.

Last edited by McBane; May 22, 2018 at 3:59 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Disgusting. At least reclaim the facade. Someone would pay good money for that to be the face of their rowhome. Throw in some higer end architectural windows and you have a rowhome that stands out as beautiful from most.
It also appears large enough to subdivide...stick some retail on the first floor and have apartments on floors 2-4. North Broad is bumping right now with new construction and refurbishing of older buildings, it's actually becoming a destination and a conversion into anything except a parking lot would be a guaranteed success.

Another one bites the dust.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 3:48 PM

I realize this conversation has mostly run its course, but I was a bit surprised to read this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
...- as parking is important especially for younger families being able to live in the city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
... "Philly needs more families that stay," is mentioned often and if you want to go for that bunch cars/parking will have to be a part of the discussion...
I have a kid in elementary school and we have a lot of friends who are in that coveted "middle class family" demographic. Many of them have stayed in the city and many have elected to move out. I can tell you right now that parking doesn't even come close to the top 10 reasons that went into that decision for any of them. The 3 most important factors for attracting middle class families are as follows, in order: schools, schools, and schools. The public, charter, and private school quality is pretty much a thousand times more important than the inconvenience of having to walk a few blocks to a car to any family I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
... dumb ass!
Is that really necessary?

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
First off, this is a terrible. I want to say that up front.

But delving deeper, does this building deserve protection? It's easy to say yes when it's going to be demolished to make way for nothing. But how would you all feel about this structure if it was being replaced by an attractive high rise?

How can the city balance preservation? Blanketly protecting all old buildings is not advisable b/c then what happens when an old, but otherwise unremarkable building stands in the way of a high rise (and all of its benefits, e.g., more density, added tax revenue, maybe an improved pedestrian experience, etc.), like for example Rindlaub's Row making way for 10 Ritt? On the flipside, what happens when old, but otherwise unremarkable buildings are torn down for dreck (like those buildings on Chestnut Street in Univ City or the former Please Touch Museum) or to simply lay fallow, like in this sad case?

Ideally, you only want to lose older buildings if you're going to get something better (and clearly, a vacant plot is not better). But who decides that? People have very different views on this.

Would the SOS people been less litigious if 10 Ritt was planned as only 5 or 10 stories? And would the LSNA have been so amenable to the Please Touch demolition if the developer was planning a mid rise apartment building instead of a townhomes with garages? And how many times is there a rush to retroactively deem a building historic - that nobody cared about previously - all b/c they don't like what it's being replaced with?

I don't have all the answers, but it's an interesting debate on an otherwise slow new day.
This building was deemed historic and incentives were provided for those that would want to refurbish it...but it doesn't bar anybody from tearing it down. It seems like the PA Ballet is taking the lazy way out, there are no plans for denser development, they are just making way for something that may never happen.

I also think of the scenario with that church in Queen's Village (or Bella Vista, can't remember) where the church wanted to offload it to Ori so they could stay afloat. His plans were to tear it down and put up new rowhomes, I think that plan has since changed, but the church really is beautiful and worthy of being saved in my opinion, but again, I'm not the one shelling out millions of dollars to convert it into something else.

It's a tough situation, but at least there was a plan to add something of value with the church scenario. This is just tearing down something beautiful to put in a shitty parking lot in one of the hottest neighborhoods in the city. It's a shame.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 5:22 PM

And so everyone realizes this, the Ballet already tore down the building next door a couple years ago . This little block was fully intact, pre-1920 stock when they came into possession of the property. F those guys.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 6:32 PM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
I realize this conversation has mostly run its course, but I was a bit surprised to read this.

I have a kid in elementary school and we have a lot of friends who are in that coveted "middle class family" demographic. Many of them have stayed in the city and many have elected to move out. I can tell you right now that parking doesn't even come close to the top 10 reasons that went into that decision for any of them. The 3 most important factors for attracting middle class families are as follows, in order: schools, schools, and schools. The public, charter, and private school quality is pretty much a thousand times more important than the inconvenience of having to walk a few blocks to a car to any family I know.
It's almost as if different people in different areas have different needs, and instead of anecdotal assumptions, we should use data and facts. I understand where you're coming from and where others are coming from, but no one person's experience should be used to make sweeping changes such as this. And for the record, I purchased additional parking so that staying in the city was an easier decision for me and my family (of course schools were a major factor - a bigger factor - as well). if you've ever had to carry two kids under two and groceries in the rain, I can't imagine how parking wouldn't at least enter the equation of that decision.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
And so everyone realizes this, the Ballet already tore down the building next door a couple years ago . This little block was fully intact, pre-1920 stock when they came into possession of the property. F those guys.

Absolutely. While nowhere near as high profile as the Jeweler's Row disaster, this is just as egregious. Someone needs to call these bastards out.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Absolutely. While nowhere near as high profile as the Jeweler's Row disaster, this is just as egregious. Someone needs to call these bastards out.
call them-----215-551-7000. Maybe ballet types scare easily.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 3:40 PM

Cherry and 16th

Does anyone know what is being built at Cherry and 16th? I passed by there this morning and there looks to be a 4 story steel frame structure going up. I passed to fast to take a picture, it's on the northeast corner though.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 4:22 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconboy007 View Post
Does anyone know what is being built at Cherry and 16th? I passed by there this morning and there looks to be a 4 story steel frame structure going up. I passed to fast to take a picture, it's on the northeast corner though.
I walk by there pretty much every day and don't know specifically, but my guess is it's a project affiliated with whoever owns that little parking lot because about 2 weeks ago they redid all the brickwork along the outer edges of it. I doubt that was coincidental, given the construction work.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconboy007 View Post
https://li.phila.gov/#details?entity...%20CHERRY%20ST

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 4:42 PM

^ Is this the south side of Cherry (because I presume that the Magee lot is not going anywhere)?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development