HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 1:12 AM

Pimachiowin Aki

Pimachiowin Aki, Anishinaabemowin for “the land that gives life”, is a vast expanse of virtually untouched boreal forest on the east side of Lake Winnipeg, spanning the Manitoba/Ontario border. The region is an exceptional example of the historic bond between the land and the Anishinaabeg, and the evolution of that bond in the modern world. There are four communities in the nominated area, Poplar River, Bloodvein, Little Grand Rapids and Pauingassi. The nearly 30,000 sq km region is to find out this year whether it will be inscribed on the UNESCO list of world heritage sites, which hopefully it will. The site has been nominated twice before; the first time UNESCO deferred the project, wanting more “proof” of the exceptional bond between the land and its caretakers, the Anishinaabeg. The second time, it was recommended by UNESCO to be inscribed, but a partner in the project pulled its support at the same time this happened. The nominated area has since been reduced in size, but it would still be one of the largest UNESCO sites in the world, and the first “mixed” site in Canada (most are either “natural” or “cultural” sites). I truly hope this project comes to fruition, this thread isn’t meant so much for discussion, but to showcase the natural beauty of this region.

Main site, which includes many photos of the region:
http://www.pimachiowinaki.org/about-us

http://www.borealbirds.org/blog/wetl...imachiowin-aki

https://albinger.me/2014/08/24/anish...ery-lake-site/

The below photos come from the website, www.heartoftheboreal.ca

Link to the photo gallery section, which includes the below photos and more:
http://www.heartoftheboreal.ca/see-t.../photo-gallery

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 4:27 AM

Although the area loos pretty and quite pristine, I don't see what makes it particularly unique. It looks like all of Northern Ontario and I know part of the heritage has to do with it's connection to it's Native people's but again I don't see this connection any stronger than elsewhere in the Canadian Shield.

I'm sorry but I really don't see how this would qualify for a UNESCO site.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 11:17 AM

^I understand your point.

You bring attention to an interesting topic, that being the criteria that UNESCO has in place to establish world heritage sites. Although they have this criteria in place for a reason, I disagree with it because these people wanting to establish world heritage sites need to prove how their site has "outstanding universal value" and what makes it "exceptional" from the rest. If I was someone working for Pimachiowin Aki, I wouldn't want to try and compete with other potential sites to prove that mine is better or its more exceptional.

page on criteria: http://whc.unesco.org/en/criteria/

And yes, the area does look like a lot of the boreal shield that spans from northern Alberta to Newfoundland, but does that mean it shouldn't be considered for a world heritage site? We need to have the foresight to save untouched land like this for future generations, or risk losing it to progress and development.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 2:50 PM

No way can this become a world heritage site. Many parts of the boreal forest were and are inhabited by first nations and have similar pictograms.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFX-ME View Post
No way can this become a world heritage site. Many parts of the boreal forest were and are inhabited by first nations and have similar pictograms.
I'm not sure how that would be relevant to whether this site could be considered for world heritage status. As long as the concerned First Nation(s) and the federal and provincial governments are supportive, I'd say let them make their case.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Oh yes it will. See what UNESCO has already said about the nomination:

http://whc.unesco.org/en/decisions/6796/

Decision: 40 COM 8B.18
The World Heritage Committee, Having examined Documents WHC/16/40.COM/8B, WHC/16/40.COM/INF.8B1 and WHC/16/40.COM/INF.8B2, Expresses its appreciation for the combined efforts of the State Party, First Nations, and all authorities and stakeholders involved in the nomination, and for the joint dialogue undertaken with IUCN and ICOMOS, in deepening the understanding of nature-culture connections in the context of the World Heritage Convention; Commends the State Party for presenting a revised nomination which is a landmark for properties nominated through the commitment of Indigenous peoples and which demonstrates how the indissoluble bonds that can exist between culture and nature might be recognized on the World Heritage List; Also commends the members of the Pimachiowin Aki Corporation for adopting significant measures to ensure the conservation and protection of the property; Notes that the evaluations by both Advisory Bodies conclude that the nominated property meets the conditions of integrity and authenticity, has adequate protection and management, and justifies Outstanding Universal Value on the basis of criteria (iii), (vi) and (ix); Recognizing recently identified issues regarding governance and relationships within the Pimachiowin Aki Corporation, refers Pimachiowin Aki, Canada, back to the State Party to allow it to work with the Pimachiowin Aki Corporation to identify and implement appropriate actions to ensure effective governance and management of the nominated property; Notes that the Advisory Bodies would be ready and willing to offer advice on the above, if requested; Recommends the State Party to give consideration to continue the development of the management plan to address socio-economic challenges and to promote sustainable livelihoods, including through the development of sustainable tourism and other activities, and giving particular attention to the landscape and its spiritual associations.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 4:23 PM

All power to them if they get the UNESCO designation.

Still, I'm not sure what UNESCO designation will give them beyond what already exists in similar places. For example, Petroglyphs Provincial Park (Kinomaage Mapkong) near Peterborough is a sacred site for Ojibwe people. The Curve Lake First Nations are the caretakers of the site, and Ontario Parks looks after the ecological conservation aspects of the park. Works pretty well; the visitor facilities/learning centre are top notch.

Frankly, I'm not sure what a UNESCO designation really does. Many sites - including those in the developed world - are threatened by development and habitat loss. Some of them, like the historic riverfront of Dresden, were annulled because local authorities built a concrete bridge and disrupted the view. It's not like UNESCO has any teeth.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 6:23 PM

Giving a UNESCO designation to a site like this will just further decrease the significance of the designation and will encourage other groups to try to get the designation in order to boost tourism dollars.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
All power to them if they get the UNESCO designation.

Still, I'm not sure what UNESCO designation will give them beyond what already exists in similar places.
Frankly, I'm not sure what a UNESCO designation really does. Many sites - including those in the developed world - are threatened by development and habitat loss. Some of them, like the historic riverfront of Dresden, were annulled because local authorities built a concrete bridge and disrupted the view. It's not like UNESCO has any teeth.
I generally agree that World Heritage Site designation has little in the way of protective measures or enforcement powers. However it has the potential to become a political tool when a special interest group sees an opportunity to bring the "wrath" of UNESCO down upon the powers that be, when they ask UNESCO to designate a World Heritage Site as threatened and at risk and that the World Heritage status should be removed. This of course is all done with the sole purpose of pushing their own personal agenda. For example:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ears-1.4019549

A United Nations agency has issued a warning about the environmental health of Canada's largest national park.

In a report released Friday, UNESCO says northern Alberta's Wood Buffalo National Park is threatened by energy development, hydro dams and poor management. It warns that unless management of the area improves, the park will be added to the list of World Heritage Sites in Danger.

The report acknowledges that the overall condition of the vast park — bigger than the Netherlands — remains good. But it concludes there's no guarantee of that continuing.

"There is long-standing, conceivable and consistent evidence of severe environmental and human health concerns based on both western science and local and indigenous knowledge," the report says.

"The concerns coincide with the absence of effective and independent mechanisms to analyze and address these concerns at an adequate scale."

UNESCO inspectors visited the park in September and October. They came at the urging of First Nations, who have long expressed concern about the cumulative impacts on the Peace-Athabasca Delta of hydro projects in British Columbia, oilsands development in Alberta and climate change, which is already changing the landscape.

Members of the Mikisew Cree First Nation say they can no longer get to large parts of their traditional territory because water levels have been declining for more than a generation, starting with construction of the Bennet Dam in the 1960s.

The park is being affected by upstream energy development, the report says.

UNESCO says evidence suggests the oilsands are depositing contaminants in the air, water and land. It says toxins such as mercury are showing up in the food web via bird eggs and fish.

"Governments and industry seem to be unwilling to adequately monitor or accept these claims."

UNESCO's report includes 17 recommendations. They include suggestions to work more closely with First Nations, conduct studies on water flow and to improve monitoring.

"The mission fully agrees with most observers that continuation of the development approach of the last decades renders the future of (the park) uncertain at the very best."

Wood Buffalo National Park comprises 45,000 square kilometres that straddle the boundary between Alberta and the Northwest Territories. The park covers grasslands, wetlands and boreal forests laced with numerous rivers, creeks, lakes and ponds.

It is home to the world's only breeding ground for endangered whooping cranes as well as to the largest herd of free-ranging wood buffalo left anywhere. It is also the summer habitat and breeding ground for billions of boreal songbirds whose migration routes spread throughout the continent.

It became a World Heritage Site in 1983. Shifting it to the endangered site list would make it one of only two such sites in North America and put it in company with others threatened by civil war and social breakdown.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Giving a UNESCO designation to a site like this will just further decrease the significance of the designation and will encourage other groups to try to get the designation in order to boost tourism dollars.
Are you even aware of the painstaking, detailed, expensive process to obtain WHS status? It is at least a decade long process.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 2:39 AM

Quote:
I think at least in the case of Pimachiowin Aki, a UNESCO designation isn't meant to be a way of boosting tourism. There is the potential that increased tourism could come with a designation, but I also suspect that the aim of the project is to protect the land, and more tourists won't bode well with that vision.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balletomane View Post
I think at least in the case of Pimachiowin Aki, a UNESCO designation isn't meant to be a way of boosting tourism. There is the potential that increased tourism could come with a designation, but I also suspect that the aim of the project is to protect the land, and more tourists won't bode well with that vision.
Did you not read what I pasted into post #6 from the UNESCO decision about this nomonation?

Recommends the State Party to give consideration to continue the development of the management plan to address socio-economic challenges and to promote sustainable livelihoods, including through the development of sustainable tourism

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada