HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I was just gonna say.

We've seen ISIS, Hezbollah, etc. flags at marches in Canada before BTW.
And those rightfully get called out and substantially delegitimized those protests.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
Maybe that is true generally, but I think that kind of glosses over what is being referenced here. We've heard here that American actors are directly involved in this protest, both in terms of funding and organization and potentially in terms of US citizens coming north to join in (though admittedly there doesn't seem to be much evidence of that yet). It's certainly been a major topic for US social media commentators and on Fox News. And I've seen more American flags in Ottawa this week than any time since Sept 11.

Yes, American politicians have an influence on other Canadian movements, but I don't think that for the most part there is much evidence of direct influence of this nature. I see the two situations as being pretty different. That said, I do find that the BLM protests are a bit of an exception, in that they feel to me like a movement that was imported wholesale that hasn't been tailored to the Canadian reality.

Personally I bristle at American influence in our political discussions, regardless of the cause. The last thing we need here is to jump wholesale into the polarized political environment that exists there.
We have heard of the millions raised through GoFundMe. How much of that money is coming from outside the country? It is no wonder that officials are concerned and are trying to block access to that money. We don't need international interference on Canadian political matters.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 3:02 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
Maybe that is true generally, but I think that kind of glosses over what is being referenced here. We've heard here that American actors are directly involved in this protest, both in terms of funding and organization and potentially in terms of US citizens coming north to join in (though admittedly there doesn't seem to be much evidence of that yet). It's certainly been a major topic for US social media commentators and on Fox News. And I've seen more American flags in Ottawa this week than any time since Sept 11.

Yes, American politicians have an influence on other Canadian movements, but I don't think that for the most part there is much evidence of direct influence of this nature. I see the two situations as being pretty different. That said, I do find that the BLM protests are a bit of an exception, in that they feel to me like a movement that was imported wholesale that hasn't been tailored to the Canadian reality.

Personally I bristle at American influence in our political discussions, regardless of the cause. The last thing we need here is to jump wholesale into the polarized political environment that exists there.
I'd like things to be different but in all honesty we're in too deep to go back now.

I admit I am probably the one who brought AOC into this thread but I'd argue it's a relevant reference point because US examples are what everyone ends up evoking at some point anyway.

In other threads people complain about analogies about BLM but these are people from the exact same constituency who brought BLM into Canada and said its narratives were extremely relevant to this country.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
We have heard of the millions raised through GoFundMe. How much of that money is coming from outside the country? It is no wonder that officials are concerned and are trying to block access to that money. We don't need international interference on Canadian political matters.
I expect Fintrac will be giving GoFundMe a call.

Aside from these protests, there's already been questions of whether GFM has been used to launder money to groups who engage in violence. This protest and the likely foreign donations are just making it much more visible.

This is why GFM is panicking and freezing the funds. I expect most of it to be returned to donors shortly. The last thing they want is the ire of every intelligence and financial tracking agency in the world on them.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 3:08 PM

Police Briefing today:
  • more officers 150 more in the residential areas
  • Chief and Civic officials have received death threats
  • protesters and counter protesters this weekend
  • expected 400 more trucks will try to arrive this weekend
  • concrete barriers going up downtown to prevent access
  • bridges and other roads may be temporarily closed

He discussed international funding and intelligence, noting they are incredibly organized, mentioned 2 protest operation centres in the city. He also hinted they prevented a January 6 incident last weekend.

Yesterday, a QAnon cult led by a self processed "Queen of Canada" Romana Didulo brought her culties to parliament and burned a Canadian Flag. She has previously called for the execution of healthcare workers giving vaccines to children. This situation is looking every bit as dangerous as anything we have seen in this city.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 3:11 PM

They prevented a Jan 6th style op? On what? An empty building?

Also, if that is the case, then how does this not become justification for substantial escalation? The US deployed the National Guard to retake and defend Capitol Hill. If these folks are legitimate national security threats, the authorities should act like it. OPS/Sloly seem a bit duplicitous here.

The barriers downtown also mean the "protests" will be displaced into neighbourhoods outside the core. Will be interesting to see how OPS reacts to an occupation of Rockcliffe, Vanier, Westboro, etc.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 3:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
My whataboutism doesn't result in Ottawa residents getting assaulted.

Do you live here or just come here to troll?
Have you ever voiced opinions about things that happen outside your neighbourhood? And yes I do live here for whatever that’s worth. Troll? Well I guess that’s better than being called a racist (which I’m sure is what you’re programmed to do next)

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 3:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
They prevented a Jan 6th style op? On what? An empty building?

Also, if that is the case, then how does this not become justification for substantial escalation? The US deployed the National Guard to retake and defend Capitol Hill. If these folks are legitimate national security threats, the authorities should act like it. OPS/Sloly seem a bit duplicitous here.

The barriers downtown also mean the "protests" will be displaced into neighbourhoods outside the core. Will be interesting to see how OPS reacts to an occupation of Rockcliffe, Vanier, Westboro, etc.
Tsk tsk you’re not supposed to talk about events that don’t happen on your doorstep

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Nimby View Post
Have you ever voiced opinions about things that happen outside your neighbourhood? And yes I do live here for whatever that’s worth. Troll? Well I guess that’s better than being called a racist (which I’m sure is what you’re programmed to do next)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Nimby View Post
Tsk tsk you’re not supposed to talk about events that don’t happen on your doorstep
So you're just here to troll. Cool. At least we're now clear that you're not here to talk about Ottawa residents and issues that impact us. In the Ottawa forum. I may talk about other events elsewhere. I don't do it in a forum focused on Ottawa.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 3:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
So you're just here to troll. Cool. At least we're now clear that you're not here to talk about Ottawa residents and issues that impact us. In the Ottawa forum.

I may talk about other events elsewhere. I don't do it in a forum focused on Ottawa.
If you don’t want to debate just say so. No need to be angry. Have a snickers.

Btw this forum is supposed to be about skyscrapers. Let that sink in.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 3:38 PM
National Capital Region

going to lock this thread until we can clean it up a bit.... lots of other places online to discuss US politics

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy