HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Yes, throw off the colonial yoke, and create a new electoral model like our esteemed cousins to the south, where the head of government is also the head of state. I too look forward to our own version of President Trump. Maybe, one day is the not too distant glorious future we can look forward to our very own President Rob Ford of Canada!!!
America is not the only republic, I wouldn't mind seeing a German or French model of Canada they seem to work without an orange fat man as head of state.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Yes, throw off the colonial yoke, and create a new electoral model like our esteemed cousins to the south, where the head of government is also the head of state. I too look forward to our own version of President Trump. Maybe, one day is the not too distant glorious future we can look forward to our very own President Doug Ford of Canada!!!
Yeah, every president has been the same as Trump. And having the head of government being the same person as the head of state is perfectly fine with me--time to stop wasting money on ceremonial positions that serve no practical purpose.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 12:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
You're also a poor speller and have no idea what the majority wants. Commonwealth nation? That label is a relic from the past. No one cares about crap like that other than people who think we need a foreign family full of depraved sexual abusers to look up to and keep us together. What a fucking joke! Do you want to be Britain's bitch forever? Show some self-respect Pinus and throw off the chains of colonialism which is just another form of slavery.
No, I want to be Alberta's bitch in a new Wexit where Americanised Albertans will be the new colonial fat cat overloards and I would have to kiss their disgusting oil-drenched feet whilst they throw crumbs at me from the dining room table because I come from a have-not province.

Yes, sounds so appleaing

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Yes, throw off the colonial yoke, and create a new electoral model like our esteemed cousins to the south, where the head of government is also the head of state. I too look forward to our own version of President Trump. Maybe, one day is the not too distant glorious future we can look forward to our very own President Doug Ford of Canada!!!
Honestly, what's the difference? The Federal PM is our head of state in practice. The Kardashians of Buckingham Palace have no effect whatsoever on anything that happens in this country.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 12:29 AM
I am the law!

I'm indifferent and open. You have to prove to me that the 30 to 40 million dollars per year won't be wasted on somthing stupid and less culturally significant. That's 60 non market apartments in Toronto, for example.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 12:30 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
And it will be a well-earned retirement.
Apparently she's done a lot of overtime and double-shifts over the years. And she always brings her own packed lunch to the canteen, so she's frugal.

I heard a rumour that she's got over ten years of sick days saved up. That's gotta be a major chunk of change to cash out right there.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 12:38 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Yes, throw off the colonial yoke, and create a new electoral model like our esteemed cousins to the south, where the head of government is also the head of state.

That's not the only other model of government. In fact, we could keep our political system exactly the same as it is now except the Governor General would take over full duties as head of state from the British monarch.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
That's not the only other model of government. In fact, we could keep our political system exactly the same as it is now except the Governor General would take over full duties as head of state from the British monarch.
That would be extraordinarily ridiculous though... we'd (still) be electing a government democratically, to govern us, but then the leader of that elected government would unilaterally pick some clown who would technically be our head of state while serving absolutely no other purpose?!? That's the suggestion?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 1:04 AM

Ireland and Israel both adopted the British system with the monarchy removed. In both countries the role of the monarch was replaced by that of a President who has a similar role to the monarch (public engagements, formally appointing the PM, no real political power). In Ireland the president is elected by nationwide popular vote and in Israel the president is elected by the parliament. This model is called a "parliamentary republic".

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 1:13 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Agreed, that model of government hasn't been working too well for our neighbors to the south; democracies with (constitutional) monarchies have a better track record of stability, being the most progressive and liberal forms of governments. Just imagine a President Ford or Harper, etc. with nothing else above it, it would be demoralizing.

Last edited by Architype; Nov 28, 2019 at 1:38 AM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 1:19 AM

My opinion (as a UK born citizen); Canada should get rid of the monarchy, it's totally pointless for us.

I have never understood why having someone other than the Queen as head of state is a big deal, or why that even needs to be a position. All the arguments for keeping the monarchy based on this line of thinking are nonsensical.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
all the colonialism it stood for
Didn't take long for that woke comment. Congrats

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Agreed, that model of government hasn't been working too well for our neighbors to the south; countries with monarchies have a better track record of stability, being the most progressive and liberal forms of governments. Just imagine a President Ford or Harper, etc. with nothing else above it, it would be demoralizing.
I would consider myself a monarchist for this reason, but I'd actually prefer if it we got our own royals. Maybe have one of the Queen's other kids or grandkids become our next monarch instead of Charles, to start our own Canadian royal family.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
Ireland and Israel both adopted the British system with the monarchy removed. In both countries the role of the monarch was replaced by that of a President who has a similar role to the monarch (public engagements, formally appointing the PM, no real political power). In Ireland the president is elected by nationwide popular vote and in Israel the president is elected by the parliament. This model is called a "parliamentary republic".
And even then, why can't the PM play that role? Why do we need a potted plant for public engagements? If the PM can't be everywhere, fine, but there's also a Vice-PM and many Ministers. They can represent the govt at these ceremonial thingies just as well as anyone.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 1:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
My opinion (as a UK born citizen); Canada should get rid of the monarchy, it's totally pointless for us.

I have never understood why having someone other than the Queen as head of state is a big deal, or why that even needs to be a position. All the arguments for keeping the monarchy based on this line of thinking are nonsensical.
Interesting, as every single Pom I have met in Australia, NZ and Canada (including my own grandmother), all quite enjoy having the monarchy as heads of state in each of their countries. You are definately an outlier in that regard.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Agreed, that model of government hasn't been working too well for our neighbors to the south; countries with monarchies have a better track record of stability, being the most progressive and liberal forms of governments. Just imagine a President Ford or Harper, etc. with nothing else above it, it would be demoralizing.
That's subjective

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
This is the more likely scenario. She has always said that she would never abdicate.

I too am a monarchist. I could not abide turning our PM into a President and Head of State.
We could have a President and a PM ....

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
And even then, why can't the PM play that role? Why do we need a potted plant for public engagements? If the PM can't be everywhere, fine, but there's also a Vice-PM and many Ministers. They can represent the govt at these ceremonial thingies just as well as anyone.
The value of a non-political head of state is exactly that: they're non political. A monarch, because of being non-political, can act as a symbolic unifying point for a country. PMs will always be a force of division. Having a head of state that is above politics is, at least in my opinion, a great thing for a country.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
That would be extraordinarily ridiculous though... we'd (still) be electing a government democratically, to govern us, but then the leader of that elected government would unilaterally pick some clown who would technically be our head of state while serving absolutely no other purpose?!? That's the suggestion?
He indicated, correctly, that it would be an option. I saw no "suggestion". ON the other hand, if it ain't broke ....

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 1:44 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotToScale View Post
That's subjective
I don't believe it's subjective, it can be based on empirical evidence. Although it seems counterintuitive, citizens need inspirational symbols of nationalism beyond beavers and poutine.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada