HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 1:56 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
What is now considered a modern roadway system will soon be a thing of the past. Cities with massive freeways and interchanges built in the 50s/60s are soon going to need major structural repairs. With interchanges and bridges costing 10s of millions, how do you expect city's that are already strapped for cash to pay for this infrasturcture? Borrowing? Property Taxes? Maybe tolls are the only choice...
You make it sound like they haven't built interchanges, freeways and expressways around the world for the past 30 years. The facts soundly suggest otherwise, across North America, Europe and Asia. There is no cost savings maintaining an inefficient roadway system when your economy is based on the transportation of goods and people. Even the third world has figured out this most simple reality.

Winnipeg is now reaching the critical mass where significant upgrades to its roadway system is absolutely nessesary to reach its potencial or face the reality that Winnipeg will be passed by, in terms of being a realivant centre of global trade. The governments of Manitoba and Canada have realized this fact and is now looking at playing catchup for decades of poor decision making and cheap compromise in the Winnipeg Capital Region over the past 50 years.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 5:16 AM
Back from the dead

If I'm not mistaken , the 59/101 interchange is scheduled to see the first phases of construction begin this year. I'd really like to see some sort of schematic of what it's supposed to look like in the end though.

As for freeways , yeah ,they certainly serve a purpose but within cities it's looking like they weren't such a hot idea. Freeways going between cities and ones going around them seem to work as planned but anything within a city tends to be more trouble than it's worth.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
If I'm not mistaken , the 59/101 interchange is scheduled to see the first phases of construction begin this year. I'd really like to see some sort of schematic of what it's supposed to look like in the end though.
According to the Province's website construction is scheduled to begin this year (grading) and continue though 2011.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
You make it sound like they haven't built interchanges, freeways and expressways around the world for the past 30 years. The facts soundly suggest otherwise, across North America, Europe and Asia. There is no cost savings maintaining an inefficient roadway system when your economy is based on the transportation of goods and people. Even the third world has figured out this most simple reality.

Winnipeg is now reaching the critical mass where significant upgrades to its roadway system is absolutely nessesary to reach its potencial or face the reality that Winnipeg will be passed by, in terms of being a realivant centre of global trade. The governments of Manitoba and Canada have realized this fact and is now looking at playing catchup for decades of poor decision making and cheap compromise in the Winnipeg Capital Region over the past 50 years.
With Canadian cities already facing ridiculous infrastucture deficits, it is unfeasable to be talking about building what amounts to the most expensive type of road trasportation that exists. When cities cannot even maintain the infrastructure they have now, how can it be expected that they'll be able to spend 100s of millions on new freeways and interchanges. Cities like Toronto and Vancouver with thriving cores have cancelled freeway projects leading into their downtowns (and Toronto continues to dismantle the gardiner). Unless cities get some kind of huge infrastructure money from higher levels of government, or unless drivers actually pay the true costs of driving, freeways are a non-starter...

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 2:19 PM
What could go wrong?

I actually like the idea of toll roads. All of the ones i have been on in the US are in near perfect shape and i don't mind paying at all.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post

New flyers got a point there. The government of ontario still invests hundreds of millions even billions into the 400 hundred series highways, (which turns out to be a side route for american truck shipments, who don't want to go all the way around, in the states). There is not a day that goes by where there isn't construction constantly making the road more efficient, or widening the lanes.

And especially for a city that is so dependent on trade, without modern roadways Winnipeg has no potential growth.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
New flyers got a point there. The government of ontario still invests hundreds of millions even billions into the 400 hundred series highways, (which turns out to be a side route for american truck shipments, who don't want to go all the way around, in the states). There is not a day that goes by where there isn't construction constantly making the road more efficient, or widening the lanes.

And especially for a city that is so dependent on trade, without modern roadways Winnipeg has no potential growth.
The City of Winnipeg has no need to build any intra-city freeways, since the Perimeter and intercity connections are all under provincial jurisdiction.

I would estimate it would cost about $3-4 billion to upgrade the entire core network - the entire length of 1 (except inside the Perimeter), the entire length of 75 and the Perimeter to freeway standards. Most of that would be overpasses and interchanges.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 4:10 PM

I heard there might be an interchange @ #6 and the perimeter soon... design build job handled by "special ops" at highways...

All the interchanges are probably going to be design build jobs handled by special ops... so that way the highways dept. manpower can concentrate on the structure renewals, hwy renewals, etc...

god I hate the highways dept...

hwys inspector >>
hwys surveyor >>
hwys project manager/engineer >> frickin clown

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 4:58 PM

Kenaston and Bishop Grandin could use a number of overpasses/interchanges, like at McGillvray, Sterling Lyon and Waverley for starters. I doubt any of those will happen in our lifetime. The two interchanges needed most on the Perimeter are at Pipeline Road and McGillvray - those two really interrupt the flow of traffic and must be a major pain for truck drivers

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 9:57 PM
BANNED

I think it will be essential to make kenaston a limited access highway from the Assiniboine River to itès enentual merger with Pembina Hwy. I could see offramps being constructed for Waverley, Bishop Grandin, McGillivary, and Taylor.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
I think it will be essential to make kenaston a limited access highway from the Assiniboine River to itès enentual merger with Pembina Hwy. I could see offramps being constructed for Waverley, Bishop Grandin, McGillivary, and Taylor.
From the Assiniboine? It runs right through a residential area north of Grant, and would require expropriation of hundreds of houses (every single one on both sides) to upgrade the existing corridor all the way to a freeway.

An alternative corridor does exists just to the east (the abandoned rail corridor which has a few developed spots it appears), but it only allows for an ROW of about 25m wide - barely enough for a 4-lane freeway but requiring expropriation for interchanges. Widening beyond 4 lanes requires expropriation - removal of one side allows for an ROW up to 65m.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 5:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
From the Assiniboine? It runs right through a residential area north of Grant, and would require expropriation of hundreds of houses (every single one on both sides) to upgrade the existing corridor all the way to a freeway.
My bad.

Sorry what I had meant to say was a limited access highway, beginning at Grant and Kenaston, going southbound.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
My bad.

Sorry what I had meant to say was a limited access highway, beginning at Grant and Kenaston, going southbound.
South of Grant, Kenaston is somewhat of a limited access highway. Not in the sense that it is a freeway with no on-ramps, but in the sense that south of Grant, there aren't that many cross-streets that significantly slow down traffic. Other than a couple of unfortunate lights due to the big box stores, I don't know where Kenaston would be limited access (as a freeway would surely require interchanges at sterling lyon, mcgillvary, etc..)

Old Posted Mar 21, 2010, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
South of Grant, Kenaston is somewhat of a limited access highway. Not in the sense that it is a freeway with no on-ramps, but in the sense that south of Grant, there aren't that many cross-streets that significantly slow down traffic. Other than a couple of unfortunate lights due to the big box stores, I don't know where Kenaston would be limited access (as a freeway would surely require interchanges at sterling lyon, mcgillvary, etc..)
We could leave Kenaston alone as it is already screwed due to the retail development. Have a new freeway merge off of Kenaston at the old base pass over Grant, Taylor, Sterling, behind all of the retail, allow access at Mcgilvary for west Perimeter and then continue South until it joins at the new Bishop interchange for options East and South. This would eliminate the majority of the transport trucks and alleviate rush hour traffic that just wants to go through.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYSTHELIMIT View Post
We could leave Kenaston alone as it is already screwed due to the retail development. Have a new freeway merge off of Kenaston at the old base pass over Grant, Taylor, Sterling, behind all of the retail, allow access at Mcgilvary for west Perimeter and then continue South until it joins at the new Bishop interchange for options East and South. This would eliminate the majority of the transport trucks and alleviate rush hour traffic that just wants to go through.
Ideally, trucks should be redirected to the Perimeter (now that needs to be upgraded to a full freeway) but that would be difficult to do.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
Ideally, trucks should be redirected to the Perimeter (now that needs to be upgraded to a full freeway) but that would be difficult to do.
I agree with you on this one.

At the very minimum, build interchanges to replace all signalized intersections.

If they want to keep some at-grade intersections (Dirt road access), fine, but lets get the major ones built!

-Centreport (replaces Saskatchewan)
-Kenaston (replaces waverley)
-Highway 6
-Highway 2/3 (McGillvary)
-St. Mary
-Dugald (ridiculous how it is now).
and last nut not least, highway 59 / 101. I was dumbfounded when travelling west-bound through this "intersection" when I discovered that, in order to travel WESTBOUND on 101, I was forced to turn right onto highway 59, then left BACK onto 101. What the heck???

This is probably 300M worth of interchange projects, so I can imagine it will take a while for it to happen -- at least the Centreport interchange is going ahead, and 59/101 is supposed to be going ahead too...

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 9:50 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

yea that 101 59 interhange on the north side of town is screwy

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 10:42 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
This is probably 300M worth of interchange projects, so I can imagine it will take a while for it to happen -- at least the Centreport interchange is going ahead, and 59/101 is supposed to be going ahead too...

I would say it's more than that.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 2:25 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
yea that 101 59 interhange on the north side of town is screwy
Yeah, it really is annoying to be slowed down with the "chicane" if you will. At least they're building the interchange this year.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
and last nut not least, highway 59 / 101. I was dumbfounded when travelling west-bound through this "intersection" when I discovered that, in order to travel WESTBOUND on 101, I was forced to turn right onto highway 59, then left BACK onto 101. What the heck???
3 years from now there will be a proper interchange there again.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan