HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 10, 2008, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
SFUVancouver: great shots! (correction: deasine not mr.x2 ). I'm going down to Portland this spring break and hopefully, I will get a chance to experience it's MAX Light rail and streetcar system.[/SIZE][/SIZE]
I just noticed that, sorry. Have a great time in Portland! If you haven't made hotel arrangements yet consider the Ace Hotel. It is an old hotel that was taken over by a group of artschool capitalists, as I call them, and they reno'd it into a very funky hotel. It feels more like an old office building than a hotel and all of the rooms have custom murals done by local artists. The cheapest room is about $90 a night and I stayed for about $120/night. It is very centrally located at 10th and Burnside, right on the border of downtown and the Pearl District, and about a block south of Powell's Books. I loved it and it thoroughly added to my trip.

If you are going to explore the MAX system I would suggest you try out all the lines. I took the Blue Line out to Orenco Station, which is the best New Urbanist development on the west coast. I took the Yellow Expo line out to edge of the city at the urban growth boundary. It is kind of surreal to be in a city one moment and then in wetlands and park once you have crossed a street. For the sake of it I also took the Airport MAX to PDX to check that out. What I didn't do was take the Blue line to the east side of the city, which is apparently kind of like their version of Main street/Commercial drive.

There are lots of good brewpubs down there since it is the self-declared home of microbreweries in the US.

Have a great time.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2008, 6:11 PM

from cknw.com
--------------
Streetcars coming back?
Mar, 11 2008 - 8:40 AM

VANCOUVER/CKNW(AM980) - Vancouver city councillors will be asked today to consider a p-3 to bring streetcars back to the city.

Councillor Suzanne Anton thinks a public-private partnership could work in having a streetcar run from Granville Island to Stanley Park.

She'll put forward a motion today asking that council direct city staff to investigate the idea.

Anton thinks the system would begin to pay for itself right from the start.

------------
Geez, does every council do this same process again and again? This has already been done a couple of years back. The only thing I see happening each time is that expensive consultants get hired to conduct studies to prove what we all already know: WE NEED A STREETCAR!!!

Get it built already!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 1:10 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Hmmm public-private parternship... wasn't expecting that since it wouldn't seem to be a huge revenue generating source. I guess you never know...

yes... get it built!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 2:04 AM

Council approved the Granville Island - Cambie/Olympic Village Station phase of the streetcar. I don't know whether it will be a P3, only that that phase will be ready for the Olympics.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 2:17 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Hmmm public-private parternship... wasn't expecting that since it wouldn't seem to be a huge revenue generating source. I guess you never know...

yes... get it built!
Advertizing at/on the Stations and on/inside the Train's would bring in good coin.....

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 2:42 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Council approved the Granville Island - Cambie/Olympic Village Station phase of the streetcar. I don't know whether it will be a P3, only that that phase will be ready for the Olympics.
that's great news. At least we've moved somewhere?

oh and thanks for the advice SFUVancouver... although brew pubs don't interest me enough (I'm too young =P).

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 2:43 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
Advertizing at/on the Stations and on/inside the Train's would bring in good coin.....
On-board messages like the Canada Line?

"This train ride is brought to you in part by adult diapers" (someone on the forum said this on the Canada Line thread. I cracked up laughing and still remember it)

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 2:53 AM
Site 8 Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Great news! This is probably one of the most under-rated, under-reported transportation infrastructure projects in the Lower Mainland. And it's way overdue!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 3:18 AM
senior something

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
I'm not sure it would actually make that much, to be honest. I could be wrong, but I remember at one point reading that Translink only makes $11m/year on advertizing, for their entire system. A couple of km of streetcar wouldnt get enough advertizing to pay for itself based on that rate...

I assume they'll work out some 3 way revenue deal between the CoV, Translink (assuming fare integration) and the private company.

I'm not the guy from Subway.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 3:51 AM

Little off topic, but I always thought that it was ironic that Translink put car commercials on the back of buses. But it does makes sense...

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 7:53 AM
Registered Luser

Is it safe to assume that any streetcar system will be integrated into Translink's fare structure? In other words, Translink passes and fares would apply on the streetcar.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 3:17 PM

Yes I think that is safe to assume. It would be very inconvenient if the two systems did not integrate.

I have been noticing more and mroe this subject finally getting some attention in the local media, hopefully this attention will be a further catalyist to snap the city out of its malayse towards this project and get it back on track.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 3:41 PM

They said on CKNW yesterday that the plan was for Translink to administer the streetcar system aka yes the standard fair system for bus and skytrain would apply.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 3:43 PM
Vancouver Moderator

I would prefer the streetcars to be running for free =)

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 3:49 PM
Site 8 Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
They said on CKNW yesterday that the plan was for Translink to administer the streetcar system aka yes the standard fair system for bus and skytrain would apply.
I was under the impression that TransLink didn't support the Streetcar system at this point -- at least the old board didn't. Perhaps the new regime at TransLink will give it a second look? If so, it could be an opportunity for them (the board members) to show they're worth their increased salaries.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gull View Post
I was under the impression that TransLink didn't support the Streetcar system at this point -- at least the old board didn't. Perhaps the new regime at TransLink will give it a second look? If so, it could be an opportunity for them (the board members) to show they're worth their increased salaries.
I don't think they supported construction of the Streetcar system. They had said yesterday that Translink would have no hand in any of the construction. Remember some of this is still just speculation on the media's part but it was basically:

1) Translink will not kick in any money nor be a part of the construction
2) Translink would be asked to administer the fair system and collection of money

As I see it, I'm sure a fee would be collected by translink for administering the fair system so you have a situation where they can make some extra money without huge capital costs (covered by the P3). I can't see why Translink would say no to that chance.

Who knows though if it turns out to be reality. I do think though that if left to Translink, the line would never be built so you're correct in that assumption.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 9:06 PM
Vancouver Moderator

I think there is an act that makes other public transportation companies illegal which has to be under TransLink regardless.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 9:54 PM

Translink opposes it because it will duplicate existing or planned services (i.e. the City of Vancouver is already well served and regional funding are being spent in underserved areas)

I could see an integrated fare system.

I think there is legislation barring other private public transit operators (can't reacll off the top of my head) - but the legislation could probably easily (within 6 mos to a year?) be amended to allow a municipality to operate or contract for it.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 12:12 AM

Based on several conversations with Translink planners my understanding of Translink's position is this:

1. They support the Downtown Streetcar it in principle.
2. It is not a priority for Translink at this time.
3. They would support fare integration if the City pursued it independently.
4. They are completely opposed to a private, for-profit company developing and operating the streetcar independently of the City.
5. They think it would duplicate existing service and compete for passengers (which is simultaneously ridiculous and correct).

Bear in mind that none of this constitutes an official Translink position.

Council approved the $8.5 million demonstration phase of the Downtown Streetcar and the details of operation are still to be determined.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 1:02 AM
Cheers!

"5. They think it would duplicate existing service and compete for passengers (which is simultaneously ridiculous and correct)."

<<< Then we need to ask the question/s - why a streetcar over a bus route? Would Translink have a problem with a streetcar replacing a bus route if Translink operated the streetcar?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure