HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
Tesla makes 10kW or 20kW 220V Chargers. They're just high amperage L2 Chargers with Tesla's proprietary head on them instead of the SAE J1772 standard.
Right, but L2 is anything 6kW and up right? Which is still a pretty slow charge for a large battery EV.

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 7:38 PM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Right, but L2 is anything 6kW and up right? Which is still a pretty slow charge for a large battery EV.
L1 is anything involving 120V AC Power. Usually 10 amps max. On board rectifier changes the AC into DC.

L2 is anything involving 208-240V AC Power. On board rectifier changes the AC into DC. The size of the car's rectifier limits the charge rates. My Volt tops out at 3.3kW because of this. I think the biggest non-Tesla L2 stations are almost 20kW. Tesla's ones can do 20kW.

L3 is anything involving DC chargers. Chademo, SAE Combo, Supercharger, etc...

The L3 charger does the AC to DC conversion and controls the battery charging directly. These vary the voltage and amperage. I think Tesla's L3 system is 460V? The L3 systems step up the voltage to whatever the batteries take.

The L1 and L2 systems are basically just a fancy grounding and short detection system. L3's have a giant rectifier built in, which is why the cost almost as much as a car.

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 10:40 PM

Talking about different levels of charging, how many of you guys have ACTUAL L2 station installed in your garage/parking slot? With the current rebate I'd imagine a lot of ppl would want one. In fact, I had a conversation with the person from Fraser Basin (party who administers money allocation) and he told me that the program is literally dead already. In a span of what, 2 month? I do understand that requirements state installing a networked unit (or a separate meter, which I think is too troublesome to manage with BCHydro), which in turn significantly raises cost of such stations. Anyone has any ideas on how to get a decent, non-networked unit for less than a grand? Perhaps a better question is WHERE to get such station. Costco stuff isnt even worth mentioning...

Old Posted May 13, 2016, 10:46 PM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by New guy View Post
Talking about different levels of charging, how many of you guys have ACTUAL L2 station installed in your garage/parking slot?

Anyone has any ideas on how to get a decent, non-networked unit for less than a grand? Perhaps a better question is WHERE to get such station. Costco stuff isnt even worth mentioning...
Clipper Creek or Sun Country Highway (in Canada). Link.

The Turbo Cord is also pretty interesting and reasonably priced. Link.'

I had an L2 charger as you can see a few pages back. It was a 25amp Clipper Creek. I just use the L1 Chevy one for the time being.

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 12:37 AM

Quote:
I had an L2 charger as you can see a few pages back. It was a 25amp Clipper Creek. I just use the L1 Chevy one for the time being.
Some of the Chevy L1 adapters (they're not really chargers because for AC power the charger is inside the car) are dual 120V/240V capable. You can actually plug them into a 240V outlet if you use the right kind of adapter cable. See this thread on the Chevy Volt forum.

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 1:34 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
Some of the Chevy L1 adapters (they're not really chargers because for AC power the charger is inside the car) are dual 120V/240V capable. You can actually plug them into a 240V outlet if you use the right kind of adapter cable. See this thread on the Chevy Volt forum.
Electric vehicle service equipment doesn't have the same ring though.

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 3:39 AM

We have L2 chargers in the visitor area of our 18 year old condo. Installed about 2 years ago, initially free, and now have a complicated pricing scheme.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Clipper Creek or Sun Country Highway (in Canada). Link.

The Turbo Cord is also pretty interesting and reasonably priced. Link.'

Thanks buddy. I heard about a company that provides Clipper Creek equipment and actually does the installation. They claim to do all of this without any markup added as part of their promotional campaign. Have any of you encountered with similar offers before? Sounds appealing, not sure if there is no hidden tricks tho...

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 5:51 PM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by New guy View Post
Thanks buddy. I heard about a company that provides Clipper Creek equipment and actually does the installation. They claim to do all of this without any markup added as part of their promotional campaign. Have any of you encountered with similar offers before? Sounds appealing, not sure if there is no hidden tricks tho...
I haven't heard of those offers before, but my install was a custom job. I had to do some stuff that most electricians probably haven't done yet.

Unless you need new outlets, the wiring is dead easy.

If you need a new connection to your breaker box, however it's likely to cost a lot more than the EVSE itself.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 7:56 PM

Assuming they're right next to each other....Couldn't just just run an extension cable from a 220v outlet in your laundry room to your garage?

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
Assuming they're right next to each other....Couldn't just just run an extension cable from a 220v outlet in your laundry room to your garage?
You're thinking about voltage, not amperes. Your Laundry is a NEMA 14-30, an electric range is NEMA 14-50. So you're looking for an electric range or RV outlet.

That said, 50A is typically half the breaker box, the only thing that might take up more is a forced-air electric furnance (typically 60A.) So if you have an electric furnance, electric range, electric water heater, and laundry you'd need a second breaker panel which means you'd need to upgrade from 100A to 200A service if you don't already have it, and if you already have 200A service or underground service and need more, you're SOL. Electric Laundry+Stove+Furnace+boiler = 180A at most. So add an electric car on top and you'd need 400A service.

On the other hand, if you have gas heat/boiler/stove/furnance, then you probably have sufficient power in a 100A service. If you're really worried, charge the car at night, do the laundry during the day.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisai View Post
You're thinking about voltage, not amperes. Your Laundry is a NEMA 14-30, an electric range is NEMA 14-50. So you're looking for an electric range or RV outlet.
220V at 30A should be more than enough to fully charge any EV overnight.

Don't RV outlets use TT-30? That's even less power because it's 30A but at only 120V, if I'm not mistaken.

Quote:
That said, 50A is typically half the breaker box, the only thing that might take up more is a forced-air electric furnance (typically 60A.) So if you have an electric furnance, electric range, electric water heater, and laundry you'd need a second breaker panel which means you'd need to upgrade from 100A to 200A service if you don't already have it, and if you already have 200A service or underground service and need more, you're SOL. Electric Laundry+Stove+Furnace+boiler = 180A at most. So add an electric car on top and you'd need 400A service.
Yeah but how many people have all electric in BC? I'd say the vast majority use gas for most of their heating and cooking needs.

And you the chances of doing laundry, heating the house, cooking, and heating water all at the same time on electric is very slim.

Even if you are in the small minority of households that are 100%, you're likely charging your car overnight and not cooking, heating water, and doing laundry at the same time.

Quote:
On the other hand, if you have gas heat/boiler/stove/furnance, then you probably have sufficient power in a 100A service. If you're really worried, charge the car at night, do the laundry during the day.
Exactly, you can easily time your energy use, even if you are a 100% electric household.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 10:45 PM

Quote:
220V at 30A should be more than enough to fully charge any EV overnight.

Don't RV outlets use TT-30? That's even less power because it's 30A but at only 120V, if I'm not mistaken.
Depends on your RV. RV Campsites may have 50A 220V, 30A 115V, and 15A/20A 115V. The large RV's that have electric/hybrid water heaters and air conditioners will almost certainly be 50A.

Hence the suggestion that RV and EV's outlets might be able to use the same service. Makes me wonder if "camping" in a EV is viable if you do it at RV campsites.

Quote:
Yeah but how many people have all electric in BC? I'd say the vast majority use gas for most of their heating and cooking needs.
Depends where you live, gas wasn't available in the 80's in rural areas.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 5:00 AM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 17, 2020 at 6:50 PM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecemartin View Post
In a sense this isn't electric car infrastructure but, still worth noting in my opinion. The new Electric HOV decals appear very popular from what Ive seen around. IMO something like this is a great idea, just another perk to add to the already excellent EV experience.
i think they should get rid of the decals, tacky as hell. i hate having decals on my car just, yuck.

they should do something along the lines of this, much better looking and works to the same extent.

Ontario's Green Licence Plate Program

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 1:50 PM
YouTube Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
i think they should get rid of the decals, tacky as hell. i hate having decals on my car just, yuck.

they should do something along the lines of this, much better looking and works to the same extent.

Ontario's Green Licence Plate Program
[Deleted]

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 4:46 PM

The BC program is free. Is there a charge for the license plate in Ontario? Certainly it is a more expensive change to make.

Although I agree with the tackyness. I wouldn't be thrilled with a bumper sticker on my $100k+ Tesla.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 5:55 PM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecemartin View Post
I believe I read that Quebec was building a network of fast chargers on their highways, is a similar programming planned for BC?
There are actually two non-Tesla standards for DC fast charging of electric vehicles - "CHAdeMO" which is used by some Japanese electric cars such as the Nissan Leaf, and the "CCS Combo" charger which is used by most North American and European manufacturers. There is a network of fast chargers throughout Southwest BC from southern Vancouver Island up through to Revelstoke. For example, there are chargers at Whistler, Manning Park, Boston Bar, Penticton, Salmon Arm, and many points between these. These chargers have dual CHAdeMO and CCS cords so they can be used by cars with either type of socket. There are still some gaps (no charger yet at Kamloops or Merrit), but I believe they will be filled in over the coming year.

The remaining major gaps are northern Vancouver Island, the Crowsnest Highway east of the Okanagan, and everything north of Highway 1. There are chargers available in those areas, but they're not DC fast chargers.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 12:32 AM
YouTube Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
There are actually two non-Tesla standards for DC fast charging of electric vehicles - "CHAdeMO" which is used by some Japanese electric cars such as the Nissan Leaf, and the "CCS Combo" charger which is used by most North American and European manufacturers. There is a network of fast chargers throughout Southwest BC from southern Vancouver Island up through to Revelstoke. For example, there are chargers at Whistler, Manning Park, Boston Bar, Penticton, Salmon Arm, and many points between these. These chargers have dual CHAdeMO and CCS cords so they can be used by cars with either type of socket. There are still some gaps (no charger yet at Kamloops or Merrit), but I believe they will be filled in over the coming year.

The remaining major gaps are northern Vancouver Island, the Crowsnest Highway east of the Okanagan, and everything north of Highway 1. There are chargers available in those areas, but they're not DC fast chargers.
[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 17, 2020 at 6:49 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure