HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 4:49 AM
someone

I like it, it's very web 2.0

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 5:37 PM
David

What if we're in web 3.0 by 2014?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 10:27 PM
loafing in lotusland

No no no... we'll be closer to Web 2.5 RC1. Of course Internet Explorer will still be Web 1.8.

I like the subtle symmetry between the top and the bottom of the logo.

Their paralympic logo is a lot better, imo:

Remember, the biggest brands in the world aren't logos, but rather, stylized text: Coca-Cola, Ford, GE, Sony, Nintendo, Intel, IBM, Fedex.

Anyone know what company this logo is from?

How about this one:

Chances are you know the second logo. The logos are actually for the same company. Old and new logo.

It's difficult for a company to have a symbol represent a company. A few successful ones could be Apple, Pepsi's blue-red swirl, McDonald's golden arches( it's still a letter, mind you ), the UN and the Olympic Rings themselves.

Without the words, which of these do you think people would recognize?

Rest assured, most people will forget the Inukshuk in a few years.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 11:23 AM
Dérive-r

The Nike logo is also extremely successful and recognizable, but you've made a good point regardless.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 7:31 PM
Vancouver Moderator

In all seriousness, there are some 'logos' and symbols that are more effective than words, as they are independent of language. The swastika comes to mind, even though it means several different things.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 9:28 PM

the Inukshuk works well on TV shots along the course of events its simple and shows up well

Old Posted Feb 18, 2010, 1:13 AM

I seem to like the simplier logos better. Then Sochi is just too simple, need an actual image besides the olympic rings

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 4:30 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
In all seriousness, there are some 'logos' and symbols that are more effective than words, as they are independent of language. The swastika comes to mind, even though it means several different things.
Apple comes to mind as well. There are also universal symbols/icons which transcend words. Handicapped signs, washrooms, etc. I remember someone also telling me that in Mexico, the subway system used a lot of symbols at stations, due to illiteracy. I thought it was a different symbol for each station, but after looking it up, I think it's for major institutions located at each station:
Mexico City Subway signs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
the Inukshuk works well on TV shots along the course of events its simple and shows up well
It works well on TV, yes. But it's not memorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedy13 View Post
The Nike logo is also extremely successful and recognizable, but you've made a good point regardless.
Very true! Adidas three stripes is another one that comes to mind. These two brands also combine strong textual logos as well:

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 5:09 PM

Isn't the main reason Nike and Adidas are so memorable because we've been exposed to them our entire lives?

If the inikshuk was plastered across hundreds of millions in dollars of advertisements and products for the next 4 or 5 decades, it would probably be considered rather "memorable" as well .

The P&G symbols don't really apply well to this discussion because Proctor and Gamble doesn't advertise or promote their logo (which I did reccognize, the first image more than the second). P&G would rather consumers recognize their brand names (crest, etc). In fact, P&G often sells "competing" products with different brand names so they wouldn't necessarily want to promote a unifying image that links the products in the mind of the consumer.

Overall, I think the Vancouver 2010 emblem logo will be more memorable than most simply because the inikshuk is an image that already exists in other forms. So in that regard, I think it was an excellent logo selection to help a new audience think of Vancouver.

The inikshuk is similar to the kokopelli figure, which was rather faddish for a while (at least in the US). People who've traveled often to Arizona and other parts of the US southwest will probably find the image at least vaguely familiar: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kokopelli

Last edited by johnjimbc; Feb 24, 2010 at 5:20 PM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 1:23 PM

i've been doing a little research about this place to see if it's somewhere i'd like to go and i thought this was rather interesting.

sochi gets on average 300mm MORE rain every year than Vancouver. Hard to believe but they do. Vancouver records 1,200mm a year in precipitation. Sochi is 1,500mm. Not that big of a deal i guess but consider that our stadium was covered. Sochi is open air as is their medal plaza (near the sea). not sure how that's going to work given the very high probability that it will rain a lot. their average rainfall is just slightly above ours for the month of february.

they even show rain on their flag LOL
i've never come across a destination that actually received more rain than us. now we know

oh, and they're building the most expensive highway in the world - costing $170million a KM. this highway (connecting Sochi to the mountains) will cost 7.5BILLION dollars and is exclusively for use by the Olympic family (seriously). corruption is obviously a major major problem is this area. they are also building a high-speed rail line connecting the two. seems like a mega waste of money. sochi doesn't even have 1 ice rink today...

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 2:14 PM

It's also the only part of Russia where the average temperatures in winter are above freezing. (The Wikipedia page has a nice chart.)

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 2:25 PM

sounds a lot like vancouver, with the exception of their beaches. oddly, they are all rock and not sand. i have no idea how people can stand it.
looks awful. and this is considered the "Riviera"... i dunno...
I think i'll stick to Cabo thanks.

photo by Enceladusj on flickr. http://www.flickr.com/photos/enceladusj/2777967997/

i also read that their new Oval (not built yet) will be converted to a "marketplace" after the games. doesn't say what kind of course but given it's isolated location,
you can bet this will become another

Last edited by Delirium; Mar 2, 2010 at 2:50 PM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 4:28 PM

^ However, I understand that the mountains are beautiful and have quite a lot of winter activities in them.

That said, the mountain resort that will host the snow/slide/jump competitions had weather similar to Cypress in the past two weeks... but even more rain and less sun than Cypress had.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]