HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Aqua in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 16, 2006, 6:34 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy
Why is 2 Prudential red?
You've never noticed the red and blue framing down the center of 2 Pru? Granted the color shows up more than I want it to, but I'm so sick of that building I don't think I'm going to mess with it. 10 hours will do that to a man.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2006, 3:50 PM

^Inland steel is a really great building, but its not exactly a skyscraper.

Steely, a bit of a modernism fan? Conspicuously though, I don't see any Mies on your list.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2006, 4:02 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ that's because mies' piece de resistance in chicago is crown hall, a lowrise structure. it's probably the most significant building in chicago, if not all of the midwest. it's our parthenon. his highrises are fantastic as well, but i can never seem to choose between fed center, IBM, and the LSD apartments.

anyway, i'm responsible for steeering this thing way off track, so we gotta bring it back to aqua somehow. hopefuly victor will get that rendering tomorrow. i can't wait.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2006, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego
^Inland steel is a really great building, but its not exactly a skyscraper.
What exactly disqualifies it from being considered a true skyscraper?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2006, 5:29 AM
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
^ that's because mies' piece de resistance in chicago is crown hall, a lowrise structure. it's probably the most significant building in chicago, if not all of the midwest. it's our parthenon. his highrises are fantastic as well, but i can never seem to choose between fed center, IBM, and the LSD apartments.

anyway, i'm responsible for steeering this thing way off track, so we gotta bring it back to aqua somehow. hopefuly victor will get that rendering tomorrow. i can't wait.
hate to keep this off topic but his LSD towers are pure candy. Few modernist towers can make me shiver like those pair of twins do.

regarding Aqua, can't wait to see the new renderings. more detail is what I crave with this puppy.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2006, 6:21 AM

Hello Chi forumers,
I just had to say, besides the Fordham Spire, I must say I am most excited about this building for Chicago. Im an amateur as far as judging architecture, but something about the waves make it look so unique, it will stand out not only in LSE but in the whole skyline.

I think chicago will be real lucky to get a building like this. Just from the model its dope looking, I have never seen anything like it before.

Im just wondering what all that specialized balcony material for the waves will do to the cost of the building, and the units. I guess all these new res. bldgs near the river are extra extravagant though.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2006, 7:09 AM

^ You don't sound like an amateur to me. Your taste is better than a lot of architects' and most condo buyers'.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2006, 3:19 AM
THAT Guy

Maybe this will help a little

In an increasingly dense city like Chicago, views from a new tower must be negotiated between existing buildings. Aqua tower considers criteria such as views, solar shading and function to derive a vertical system of contours that gives the structure its sculptural form. Its vertical topography is defined by its outdoor terraces that gradually change in plan over the length of the tower. These terraces offer a strong connection to the outdoors and allow inhabitants to occupy the building façade and city simultaneously. The result is a highly sculptural building when viewed obliquely that transforms into a slender rectangle from further away. Its powerful form suggests the limestone outcroppings and geologic forces that shaped the great lakes region.

Architect: Studio Gang Architects
Architect of Record: Loewenberg & Associates
Owner: Magellan Development
Program: Hotel and Residential High-rise with
retail and commercial spaces
Size: 1.9 m SF including parking, 823 feet high
Construction Begins: 2006

Old Posted Mar 18, 2006, 3:35 AM

That looks really nice.

Makes me sad, however, at all the missed opportunities in this city...

Old Posted Mar 18, 2006, 3:59 AM

Goddamnit!!! I been trying to get fucking renderings 4ever, and the 1 time I got out of town...

Old Posted Mar 18, 2006, 4:09 AM
Because I'm Clever!

^Well, you could always do what I do and make your own renders.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2006, 4:55 AM
THAT Guy

Sorry Victor...but those Fordham shots were sweet.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2006, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy
Sorry Victor...but those Fordham shots were sweet.
It's okay. I am by no means finished.

I feel like a reporther that's just been scooped.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2006, 5:54 AM
Vertical Polyphony

Wow!! I love that third picture you posted spyguy! I never tried to visualize Aqua from street level before, only from a distance. I looks absolutely fantastic. Almost like a waving banner in suspended animation.

You have to admit Aqua, Fordham Spire, the Spertus Institute, and Piano's addition to the Art Institute allow Chicago to finally continue its heritage as a bastion of wonderful (kick-ass) urban design.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2006, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Onion Mike
Wow!! I love that third picture you posted spyguy! I never tried to visualize Aqua from street level before, only from a distance. I looks absolutely fantastic. Almost like a waving banner in suspended animation.

You have to admit Aqua, Fordham Spire, the Spertus Institute, and Piano's addition to the Art Institute allow Chicago to finally continue its heritage as a bastion of wonderful (kick-ass) urban design.
I hope more developers take note that Chicagoans actually care about good design.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2006, 6:26 AM
Vertical Polyphony

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanSophist
I hope more developers take note that Chicagoans actually care about good design.
To be honest, it's not that we care, it's that we demand and expect good design.

Architects listen up. You want to build here? Then bring it strong. Bring it with intent. Bring it with passion. Otherwise, don't bring it at all. Chicago deserves the best you can create. You need Chicago because it challenges not only your designs, but your credibility. Chicago is a showplace for your talent: the grand stage. Don't dare think about "phoning it in." Show us your passion!

You go Gang Studio!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2006, 8:39 AM

It's an unusual treatment of the balconies, but I think I like it.
Diagrams | SVMetro Blog | "Urban planning, whether based in projects, plans, or process, works only when the results are feasible simultaneously in physical, functional, financial, and political ways. Having merely one or two of these feasibilities just won't work" --Alexander Garvin

Old Posted Mar 18, 2006, 9:30 AM

Wow. It's like Chicago is transcending planet earth with this surreal architecture. If Fordham and Aqua are built, the jaw drop factor of the skyline will go to another level. Chicago is becoming the undisputed highrise architecture capital of the world.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2006, 12:54 PM
yes

I don't like Aqua's site, if it were right next to Fordham on the other side of the river, that would be an awesome gateway into the river canyon.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2006, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiphile
I don't like Aqua's site, if it were right next to Fordham on the other side of the river, that would be an awesome gateway into the river canyon.
I'm also concerned that all that great architecture won't be visible at all in the building's location. I hope at least that visitors to Harbor Park will at least have a nice vantage point.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive